No announcement yet.

G.SKill Falcon firmware V1819

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank the SSD Gods!!...the new firmware is finally released!!!

hopefully it will be worth the long wait!!...TRIM support is finally here!!...no need for Wiper anymore...yahoo!

Comment

Before (Brand new, re-flashed 1571 firmware, fresh install)

After (Updated, 1819 firmware, restored from Time Machine)

Not sure how reliable Xbench is.

FYI, TRIM command is supported in 1571 firmware anyways. (Checked using CrystalDiskInfo prior to flashing)
      Last edited by gr8bob; 11-06-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

come on g.skill. coming to these forums is an effort in futility. does garbage collection working for raid0 i hope
        Last edited by gingerbee; 11-06-2009, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8bob View Post
          Before (Brand new, re-flashed 1571 firmware, fresh install)

After (Updated, 1819 firmware, restored from Time Machine)

Not sure how reliable Xbench is.

FYI, TRIM command is supported in 1571 firmware anyways. (Checked using CrystalDiskInfo prior to flashing)
          I noticed that TRIM is supported too. I would use my computer heavily for like 8 hours, then run a benchmark in ATTO. Then I would come back several hours later and run a benchmark before doing anything at all. Every time I did this, it looked like TRIM was indeed doing its job.

This is in Windows 7. My motherboard is the EVGA 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68), so I do not have AHCI.

Comment

So far only a small bit slower as 1571 Firmware better writespeeds nice it would be to optimise the READ Speeds in Exchange for a bit writespees i think the Algorithm should be optimized more vor Read many user use SSDs as
            Bootdrive for a performant base system.

My System:
            Intel Core i7 880 Lynnfield @3,769 Ghz Intelboxed Cooled
            ASUS P7P55 Deluxe
            Runs at BCLK 170 Multiplier x22
            Memory G.Skill RipSAW DDR3-2000 @ 2043 Mhz
            Win7Ulti 64Bit in AHCI Mode Intel Rapid Storage Manager v9.5.0.1037 Drivers installed.

1. Ive used sanitary erase unter a second WinXP then jumper set reboot.
            2. Drive now in Factory Mode YATAPONG BAREFOOT-ROM Drivename then the Jumper fits right
            3. Flashed it.
            4 Jumper off ; Reboot AcronisBackup restore.

Everything is running right fine currently i now switch the TRIM on win7x64 on
            Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem]
            "DisableDeleteNotification"=dword:00000000

Here are my results with my Falcon 128 F1 mesured right after a second reboot of the System.

I hope G.Skill is doing good and stable support in the Future for these Drives.
            Perhaps if needed the Garbage Collection integration nobody know how good the normal
            trim really works.
            A safe stable firmware with the performance of 1571 that needs time an would be nice if there are more optimizations in the Future so better safe as we have many deadflashed drives.

I will Monitoring the system very carefully so its a new technology and i'm a early adopter so to test things and optimize components of my pc is that whats interesting.

Last edited by Hase1; 11-08-2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

was going to upgrade the firmware tonight but it appears i cannot.

the drive is used in my eee pc normally. however i have a laptop with 2 SATA drive bays. problem is, the connectors are reversed, and i cannot fit the SSD into the bay. for my desktop, i dont have a 2.5' drive converter so i dont know how to go about this...

Comment

Originally posted by gr8bob View Post
                TRIM is supported in FW 1571 but you have to manually run Wiper...with 1819 W7 automatically runs TRIM

Comment

Originally posted by [AFX] View Post
                  was going to upgrade the firmware tonight but it appears i cannot.

the drive is used in my eee pc normally. however i have a laptop with 2 SATA drive bays. problem is, the connectors are reversed, and i cannot fit the SSD into the bay. for my desktop, i dont have a 2.5' drive converter so i dont know how to go about this...
                  Fortunately, a 2.5" drive converter fixture is not necessary. After all, it's just a metal casing with a PCB that has chips on it, so you can just plug it in and let the cables hold on to it while you flash the firmware.

Those 2.5" converters are more for people who are permanently installing an SSD in their system and who also want it to look really clean. But for just installing it into a system for a little bit to flash the firmware, a converter has no purpose.
                  Originally posted by Titus View Post
                  TRIM is supported in FW 1571 but you have to manually run Wiper...with 1819 W7 automatically runs TRIM
                  I have 1571 and I'm using the retail version of Windows 7. I typed fsutil behavior QUERY DisableDeleteNotify into cmd.exe (a Command Prompt), and it came up with 0. As you may know, this means that TRIM is enabled and working.
                  Last edited by TwoCables; 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by

I have 1571 and I'm using the retail version of Windows 7. I typed [B
                    fsutil behavior QUERY DisableDeleteNotify[/B] into cmd.exe (a Command Prompt), and it came up with 0. As you may know, this means that TRIM is enabled and working.

I have Win7 retail installed also, when I run the fsutil I get the 0 too. The strange part is I am running Raid0 and firmware 1571 is not supposed to support Trim with Raid0.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyj View Post
                      I have Win7 retail installed also, when I run the fsutil I get the 0 too. The strange part is I am running Raid0 and firmware 1571 is not supposed to support Trim with Raid0.
                      Ah, so then maybe it's not supporting it even though it's set to 0. Like, maybe it's saying "TRIM?", and then the Falcon's going, "Nope. I'm in a RAID configuration."

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
                        Ah, so then maybe it's not supporting it even though it's set to 0. Like, maybe it's saying "TRIM?", and then the Falcon's going, "Nope. I'm in a RAID configuration."
                        I can not answear that. I really do not want to flash the Falcons to V1819 and suffer the slower times just to find out if the newer firmware does support Trim in Raid0.

Comment

Fortunately, a 2.5" drive converter fixture is not necessary. After all, it's just a metal casing with a PCB that has chips on it, so you can just plug it in and let the cables hold on to it while you flash the firmware.

Those 2.5" converters are more for people who are permanently installing an SSD in their system and who also want it to look really clean. But for just installing it into a system for a little bit to flash the firmware, a converter has no purpose.
                          yes, i forgot about this, i dont even know why i didnt think of that before. i am a retard. im gonna try that when i get home.

Comment

Originally posted by [AFX] View Post
                            yes, i forgot about this, i dont even know why i didnt think of that before. i am a retard. im gonna try that when i get home.
                            Hehe don't feel bad: I'm a custom builder/overclocker and I had to ask too. Then somebody was like, "but dude... you could just Velcro it to something inside the case". Then I sat there and said ".... wait. You're right!" lol

Oh well.

Comment

I have 1571 and I'm using the retail version of Windows 7. I typed fsutil behavior QUERY DisableDeleteNotify into cmd.exe (a Command Prompt), and it came up with 0. As you may know, this means that TRIM is enabled and working.
                              so if TRIM is working in Windows 7 with FW 1571 why would anyone need to use FW 1819 for since it lowers performance?...I thought the main point behind the new firmware was to enable TRIM support...but if the older firmware supports it then we have the best of both worlds---optimal performance plus TRIM...win for everybody

I'm on FW 1571 with W7 Home Premium (OEM version) and fsutil behavior QUERY DisableDeleteNotify shows as 0 for me as well but I don't know if I trust that

is that Command Prompt a reliable method of determining if TRIM is working?...any official confirmation from G.Skill that 1571 supports automatic background TRIM?
                              Last edited by Titus; 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The release notes for 1819 says it futher improves trim in Win7,
                                "The controller now supports Windows 7 TRIM command much better"
                                So you could assume trim is working in win7 with 1571.

What we miss here is G.Skill giving us real time up to date support and advice like you see with OCZ, the more we guess and assume the more we are going to screw it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X