No announcement yet.

G.SKill Falcon firmware V1819

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put on my falcon the last 64GB FW 1819, but it seems q slowed in writing mode!

and when I use the wiper win7 64bit take long to run the software, it is normal?

tks

Comment

• yes normal.. we took quite a big loss in writing performance with this new firmware.. and wiper take more time to do it's job, in theory you wouldn't have to use wiper anymore because windows is supposed to take care of everything... but we can't find out since the SSD is slow no matter what..

now the SSD dealers will have to lower the specs because we are very far from the advertised speed.. it's now totally false advertising... and they don't worth their higher price tag anymore. Still nice but the WOW effect is gone..

OCZ , Super talent etc all have the same problem

Comment

• Plus can you imagine having to format your SSD every time there is an update to those lame Firmwares?

Comment

• Really should review that part is not logical to be the format for each update of fw.

Comment

• I have 1 friend, q is 1 vertex ssd ocz 64GB, and not had to reinstall the new OS, it just made 1 boot cd and installed the new firmware. g skill should also do something similar. and he don't have to put the pin on.

Comment

• wtf... i must kill my systemdrive to upgrade?

1. kill system drive
              2. install win 7 on other device
              3. upgrade falcon
              4. install win7 on falcon
              5. kill other win7

? sounds like a really stupid idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by bugz View Post
                wtf... i must kill my systemdrive to upgrade?

1. kill system drive
                2. install win 7 on other device
                3. upgrade falcon
                4. install win7 on falcon
                5. kill other win7

? sounds like a really stupid idea.
                kill is a little dramatic. You must backup and restore tho, which is pretty darn easy with win7. Get a USB external drive with more room than the falcon, run backup, and select 'Create a system image'. Then once the system image of your falcon is created, you can put the flash utility on a thumb drive, and boot off the win7 boot cd, run the flash utility, then boot off win7 boot cd again, and restore image from the USB external drive. Voila, win7 is exactly as it was before the flash, and you are running latest firmware version. Yeah, it's a bit painful, but a LOT less painful than reinstalling win7 several times

One slight issue I had with firmware 1571 utility (And wiper) is that the win7 x64 recovery cd wouldn't work with the falcon in AHCI on my laptop, so I had to use a Vista recovery cd (downloaded from teh net), but this is probably just due to the specific chipset of this laptop. As long as you have a system image, you should be ok.

Comment

• I hate to say it, but there was a moderate drop in performance for ALL synthetic benchmarks I ran (Crystal Disk Mark, Windows Experience, HDTach) after upgrading my firmware to 1819 (Falcon 64GB).

Performance-wise, my startup time seems to be taking just a little longer (1 to 3 seconds) than when I did a fresh install with the 1571 FW.

Conclusion: The 1819 firmware has unquestionably slowed down my system, albeit minor. I'm still not too thrilled about this.
                  MY PC:
                  Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 940
                  Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB A2+
                  Video: XFX Radeon HD 4870
                  Audio: Creative SB Audigy2 ZS & Onboard Realtek ALC662
                  Memory: Patriot 4x1GB (4GB) DDR2 @ 4/4/4/12
                  OS Drive: G.Skill Falcon 64GB 1571

Comment

• mine do the same I Have to put back the older FW 1571, and them I have 30MB/40MB beter speed

Comment

• I'm sure 1819 will not be the last firmware released...Indilinx/G.Skill will release another firmware sometime...with all the complaints from end users of every manufacturer (OCZ, G.Skill etc) I'm sure Indilinx will try and correct these issues

remember that Windows 7 is pretty new so it might take some time to work out the kinks...SSD is also still a new technology and we are the early adopters so this is to be expected...unless for some reason Windows 7 TRIM automatically incurs a performance penalty with all SSD's regardless of firmware...hopefully that is not the case

I was reading some posts on the OCZ forum and some of the OCZ techs were stating that a 20% performance hit was normal with W7 + TRIM
                      Last edited by Titus; 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• Running the 64gb version, I actually have a slight increase in performance on all speeds except the 4k write which is %10 reduced, using CrystalDisk.

128gb may differ.

Comment

• To the previous poster, are your speed increases with running AHCI or IDE (or was it decided long ago that AHCI gives synthetic speed increase only)?
                          MY PC:
                          Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 940
                          Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB A2+
                          Video: XFX Radeon HD 4870
                          Audio: Creative SB Audigy2 ZS & Onboard Realtek ALC662
                          Memory: Patriot 4x1GB (4GB) DDR2 @ 4/4/4/12
                          OS Drive: G.Skill Falcon 64GB 1571

Comment

• For some reason I cannot run AHCI with my current setup, don't know why, but Windows 7 crashes at the welcome screen when it is enabled. So I only run IDE.

Comment

• My 1571 to 1819 results ..

To be expected I suppose (v1819 on the right).

Comment

• Originally posted by Aquamanslb View Post
                                mine do the same I Have to put back the older FW 1571, and them I have 30MB/40MB beter speed
                                +1

I do not see any problem on run wiper one time at week.

Comment

Working...
                                X