Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overclocking a 1333/CL7, or using a 1600/CL8

Dear G.SKILL,

Three years has past since I initiated this post and I want to thank you for helping me out.

My P5Q3 Deluxe is consistant and stable running the FSB at 400 and the memory set to 1600. Just like you suggested, and I have kept it that way ever since. My friends are always amazed that my setup compares to the performance of i7's, and surpasses the i3's and i5's. Never a hiccup, never a BSOD. It just runs flat good. Thank you.

Now I am wanting to test the waters with a lower Latency, either 8 or 7. Prices seem good, and much more affordable to me than what I paid three years ago. Still, I got exactly what I wanted.

Here is what I have:
    F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

And here are two that I am thinking about:
    F3-12800CL8Q-16GBZH
    F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH

I keep thinking that both choices would run the same.
    Since I am setting my motherboard to 1600Mhz, wouldn't the CL7 of the 1333Mhz slow a bit to match the CL8 which performs at that CL at 1600Mhz already? Don't you lose the attractiveness of a lower latency when you step up in clock speed?

Will overclocking the 1333/CL7 to 1600Mhz make for a speedier memory than CL8 already clocked for 1600Mhz?

Am I thinking this out correctly? Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Terry.

Comment

Those two sets would pretty much be equal - the 1333/CL7 set would prob have to go to at least 8-8-8-23/24 at 1600 (about the same as the 1600 set at stock, I think I'd suggest the 1600 set, since it's already native 1600 at CL8 (last I was looking at comparable sets, believe both of these were rolling at $135.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tman,

Thank you for your suggestion. Sorry it took me this long to reply. I did purchase a set of F3-12800CL8Q-16GBZH. I did not install this memory yet, but I am looking forward to the experience, for My ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe WiFi AP@n. I won't be overclocking beyond 1600Mhz, so I like the idea of using native 1600Mhz memory with a nice clock speed. I'll post again when my install is completed.

And just as it always happen, as soon as I purchased this memory, I came across this one, F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM. I read a G.Skill tech reply on another eggcellent website saying that this memory uses an exclusive or special chip to get that clock speed down a notch. I have another P5Q3 Deluxe, so I wondering your thoughts comparing the CL8 and CL7 of such similar memory module. Something special must be there, since 1600Mhz frequency seems to be the sweet spot (in my opinion) for a variety of motherboards. I have yet to see a 1600Mhz 7-7-7-21 G.Skill memory module. Are number like those just impossible to achieve?

BTW, I am not hooked on old motherboards. I have an ASUS P9X79 Deluxe waiting to be assembled, and for that MB, I already have my first of two F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD sitting next to it.

Thank you again.

Terry.

Comment

there's a good reason 1600 appears to be a sweet spot (especially on the Intel side), actually a few good reasons - Intel CPUs are heading to 1600 as the default (previously it was 1333), mobos are ghanging to where 1600 is the default (when you first install sticks the mobo by default sets them to 1600 and using timings from the SPD of the sticks you install, if ever in doubt, take a look in CPU-Z, under the SPD tab in the MAX Bandwidth box and it will show what is the default boot setup for the sticks installed (yes the MAX Bandwith moniker is rather deceptive (see my info thread on CPU-Z here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

1600 is also becoming the quasi focus of the the BIOS programmers, when most mobo makers 'test' DRAM for their QVL list, they simply 'test' at the mobo default, so if you see a nice looking set of 2400 or whatever that looks appealing, keep in mind that set may work with the mobo, albeit it was tested at 1600 to work - this often presents problems with locked Intel CPUs and fast DRAM that requires a CPU OC to run at it's advertised freq (i.e. 2400 requires an OC, put it with a non K or X CPU, you can't OC it to run at 2400, (there's more on this in my QVL list info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

As far as 1600/CL7 sets of DRAM, there are a few around and normally take harder to get IC memory chips and therefore have a higher price - here are some available at the Egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...odeId=1&name=7

If set on running 1600 and want the tight CL, can oft times look to sets of 1866/CL8 or 2133/CL9 which will normally run 1600/CL7 (if the CPU/MC can handle it)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

hey guys, I consulted this thread before buying some G.Skill RAM (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL) for my Asus P5Q3-Deluxe. Unfortunately, it is not a simple plug and play matter; trying to boot with the ram installed gives a me a black screen, and it will not post. I am not looking to overclock, my CPU's FSB is 1333 Mhz, so I am more than willing to run my RAM at 1333Mhz (I was pretty much expecting to do so).

here is my current set up:
            Asus P5Q3-Deluxe (latest bios 2105, all defaults)
            Intel Xeon X3360
            5 gigs of random assorted DDR3 I found in my shop (1+1+1+2)
            Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB
            1TB Western Digital HD

I read this post from GSKILL TECH:
            I had issues with the black PCBs, which is what I'm trying to figure out. The green PCBs should not have a problem.
            I've realized that the memory I have received has black PCBs, should I return my RAM?

Cheers

Comment

Hi guys,

I need some help with this, too.

I have the P5Q3 Deluxe and Q9550 and I'm looking for 16GB RAM to run at 1600 with them.

After reading a few threads, I bought a kit of F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL (Ripjaws X)
              They do not work at all. The board wont even POST. Not with all 4 at manual 1600 or just two at 1333 and all combinations between that.

So I guess the Ripjaws X are not compatible with the P5Q3 and Q9550.

I have someone that would buy other RAMs that are compatible with my board and then swap them for my X kit. So I would need a suggestion what kit to buy that will work.
              Going for F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL (standard Ripjaws) seems to be working for most people, but since I have the CPU watercooled and want to run it at 400MHz FSB I would also like to have the RAM run at 1600. If I can't get the board to run 16GB and 1600 I'd still have to go for 1333 but I would like to at least buy RAM that supports both just in case.

From Skunch's thread I read that RL models only work in the 10666 version but not the 12800.

Are there any suggestions as to what I should buy then? Can I try to get 10666 run at 1600 or should I just go for FSB 400 and DRAM 1334? The 16GB are important part anyway. What to do?
              Last edited by nvrmr; 07-05-2014, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Try one of these and it should work well. The modules need to be dual sided:

For DDR3-1600,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-635-_-Product

For DDR3-1333,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-424-_-Product

Two kits for 16GB.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

They seem a bit low-end though, or not?

The problem for me is that I know there is a certain difference in how the modules are made, what kind of chips are used. But I don't know what spec to look at to find out or at least make a good guess if they might work or not.

What I understand is that there was a change in how the modules where produced but not when are what the changes were made for. Is it frequency (1333 vs 1600) or timings or simply production date?

The Ripjaws X I have bought were from Dec 2013 but still F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL.
                  In this thread Terry said he was using F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL and they worked, but the same didn't seem to work for Skunch even after switching from a Xeon to Q9550. How is that? The only difference I see might be production date.
                  Have they been changed without getting a new product code? Are there different versions of F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL now?
                  Will the 10666 version of -RL have the same issues? They seem to work for Skunch though.

I'd really like to have something like 1600 CL9 standard Ripjaws (*RL) instead of CL11 value RAM. Knowing when and why exactly the change in architecture happened that made the modules incompatible with the P45 chipset of the P5Q3 Deluxe and a Q9550 would help me decide or at least understand why I cannot have what I want.

Comment

They are what the motherboard can support.

Some DDR3-1600 modules can no longer boot at DDR3-1333 and lower frequencies for older chipsets.

Some PCBs or chips are not as compatible with older motherboards.

Most modules are single sided these days whereas they use to be double.

Unfortunately, at this time, it can be difficult to identify which ones are compatible.

Each batch can vary, so yes, each F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL can be different.

There are many factors involved, but just be aware of the specific type compatible with your motherboard. Also, keep in mind DDR3-1600 RAM must have CPU FSB overclocked to 1600MHz already before it can boot up, which is why DDR3-1333 RAM may be less of a hassle.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I see. And most of the times when I buy them new I'd get them from a recent batch which is more likely to be incompatible, I guess?

If I go for the *NT which one would be better?

The 12800 are made for 1600 but have CL11 and I'm not sure if the will run at BIOS default settings (333 FSB and 1333 DRAM)

The 10666 should run even if the BIOS resets to default and are CL9. What are the chances that I can OC them to 1600 and maybe even keep them at timings lower than CL11?

Unfortunately I will have to start with DRAM set to 1333, FSB can be 400 though, because the RAM I'm using now will not POST at 1600 and the BIOS will automatically reset to 1333, even switching it off after changing settings and before it reboots will register as an error and reset the settings. So I get no chance to set it to first 1600 and then change the RAM.

Comment

We are working on a new batch that will better compatible, so any July/August or later manufacture dates should be improved.

DDR3-1333 is best so you can boot up with a 1333MHz FSB CPU and not worry about overclocking just to boot up.

With 1.65V, modules can generally increase in frequency or lower in timings.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

So you are going to produce double sided 4GB sticks again?

btw I checked my Ripjaw X sticks and indeed they are single sided, on the other side there is just some some spacer between the PCB and the headspreader.

But I was able to find a friend who had some spare 2GB sticks that actually support 1333 and 1600. So I can now use them to setup for 1600, do a clean shutdown and replace the RAM.

I also tried running them at 1600 and so far I only managed to get it to work with 2 modules, one in each of the orange slots, but not with all 4. So there is also a problem with finding the right settings (RAM and NB voltage I guess) to make the board run 4 sticks at 1600.

Comment

So you got two of the single sided RipJaws X modules to work at DDR3-1600?

We do produce double sided 4GB sticks, but they are just more rare than before.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              So you got two of the single sided RipJaws X modules to work at DDR3-1600?
                              No.

Was just hoping they might have been double sided and were just not working because I wasn't able to configure 1600 before installing them (what I can do now). Haven't actually tried though, once I saw they are single side.

I could try again (but I don't think they will work, even just 2 of them), my dad has them now. He will be buying a new PC from a local dealer soon and they agreed on ordering whatever RAM I need and build the his PC with the Ripjaws X I provide. Maybe they would be able to order from a specific batch if it is the latest production and easy to identify by the printed date.
                              Last edited by nvrmr; 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                                We are working on a new batch that will better compatible, so any July/August or later manufacture dates should be improved.
                                Got any more info on that?

Does that mean they are going to be double sided?
                                Which product will it be? Ripjaws?

Best for my situation would be some double sided CL9 RAM that is compatible with 1333 and 1600 and maybe like ripsjaws with a heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                                X