ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

I just bought ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z and I'm going to use all 32GB of RAM but I'm not sure which RAM to buy. I want 32GB, I can't use less. Some of you might think "wow, what on Earth could Yuji be doing?..." I've bought the AMD FX-8350, 8 Cores S@ 4.0 Ghz, T@4.2 Ghz. Without overclocking the CPU, what's the "best" RAM I could use? I don't much care for overclocking this CPU if that makes a difference. Any help would be most appreciated.

I believe the following two 'packages' might be best appropriate? F3-1866C9Q-32GZH and F3-1866C8Q-32GTX. The only differences I see are the tested latencies and voltage. 9-9-9-24 2N 1.5V and 8-9-9-24 2N 1.6V respectively. I do wonder if this motherboard and processor can support this though... I'd like to know also how to read those Model Names. I understand from 1866 to C9 but not Q, and everything past 32.

Reading the motherboard specifications again, I notice it says it supports ECC modules. Does G.SKILL even produce ECC modules? (This too is something I'd want. I know, slight performance loss...but I might need it, heh, depending on the price difference...) More specifications shows this motherboard supports XMP/DOCP profiles? That would go best with the latter RAM too...Also supports F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD (32GB, 4 x 8GB) 10 12 12 31 1.65V...Could the CPU (AMD FX-8350)?

*Edit*

If G.SKILL had an IRC...you might wonder if it'd be packed.
    Last edited by Yuji Saeki; 11-02-2012, 02:02 AM.

For a description of what goes into a model number - could look here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10564

But briefly, from the Q on: Q=quad o4 4 sticks, - = break, 32G = 32GB total DRAM of package and in these cases the last 2 = the line or model of the sticks TX=Trident X line and ZH = Ripjaws Z High Performance

Off hand I don't remember seeing any GSkill DRAM that is ECC, which is more of a niche market for servers, but they may.

As far as what the 8350 will support/run, not really sure, I know on the 8150 I got pulled in by them claiming it ran 1866 native, but later, after much arguments, retracted that and changed the advertising to say UP TO 1866 at 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL (and that was with 4GB sticks). There was a big outcry then about not being able to run 4x4GB or 16GB total at 1866 or higher. I don't want to take a chance as I like fast DRAM and plenty of it, bbut it appears most of the reviews I've seen thus far are shown running 8GB of 1600 DRAM and in a few cases 8GB of 1866, which may have been a requirement laid down by AMD as I've seen it mentioned the 1866 as 1 DIMM per channel on a couple of reviews (the AMD mobos run in DUAL CHANNEL or 2 channels - even with 4 slots, the only true Quad channel mobos on the enthusiast side is the Intel socket 2011/X79 chipset. While the mobo may be rated for up to 2400 DRAM, need to find out how they tested and with what CPU, might find this thread of interest as many mobos are tested, regardless of the DRAM used at the mobos default of 1333 or 1600 opposed to the spec ratings of the DRAM, say 2400

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566
    Last edited by Tradesman; 11-02-2012, 06:36 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So you would recommend a 1600 Mhz set of four? Also, what is the difference between Trident, Ripjaws, ARES, SNIPER, etc? (The classes or series) If I understand correctly, the best recommended to definitely work and in that pretense be "best" performance-wise is http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=568 ? 7-8-8-24-2N 1.5V 1600Mhz

*Edit* I wonder if I can push 64GB of RAM on this motherboard... Knowing the specifications on this chipset, I know supports DDR3 1866 Mhz without overclocking...But the manufacturer reports "4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz" ASUS has also tested DDR3-2400 at 32GB (8GB x 4) so they claim of course, F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD(XMP). From their actual QVL though it seems they 'have tested...>_>' CMT32GX3M4X1866C9(Ver3.23)(XMP) 9-10-9-27
      1.5V as the best RAM supported at 32GB. Of course I know not to trust QVLs.

*Edit* But considering that QVL, it might best work with http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=570 F3-1866C8Q-32GTX DDR3 1,866 Mhz 8-9-9-24 2N at 1.6V. Worried that's the best it could do. Hopefully someone with this CPU can verify. CPU-World agrees at 1,866 Mhz and to quote: The fastest supported memory is DDR3-1866
      Last edited by Yuji Saeki; 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

The Tridents are sweet, I;m running the 32GB/2400 set in Z77, and love it. Whatever you decide let us know and how it goes, be looking forward to see how the 8350 handles 32GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you agree though that the F3-1866C8Q-32GTX set would be best? If so, I'll have it next month in. Right now I'm going to be using the old DDR3 1333 GSKILL RAM, 16GB.

Comment

I think you'll like them and if the CPU can handle that set has a lot of OC headroom, might be able to run even faster if the MC can handle it

Tman

Comment

Yeah but at 1.6V that kinda tightens the range though eh?

Comment

You'd still have room to play, the sticks can run safely at 1.65 or even a little higher

Tman

Comment

Now the only question is if the AMD FX-8350 actually supports DDR3 1,866 Mhz, the wording on AMD specification is odd. Sounds like it won't pull at more than one bank.

Type of Memory Supported: Up to DDR3 1866*

* 1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) in single memory slot motherboard designs

Comment

That's what I was saying in the first response, I do know that the mobo makers have better tuned the BIOS for the 8150 and people have been getting 4 sticks to run - according to AMD the PileDriver (8350) is much better all around, but until people try, we won't know for sure

Tman

Comment

Any possibility of refund (or tradein, with the difference being made if the RAM I'd be trading in costs more etc) if I get the wrong parts? A memtest to see if they are fine and if it all works, fire away woo.
                      Last edited by Yuji Saeki; 11-02-2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

The accent sounds upper East Coast, so I'd guess you'd be buying through the Egg, they have a 30 day money back return policy

Tman

Comment

Actually, I was born and raised in South Carolina. Just a rare strange breed. I have my accent as well, strong. *Edit* Verbally anyway. Little bit of Cajun from Georgia too in there, some Yankee, once in a while Yorkshire. Multicultural, talk to a looot of people, adopted a lot of accents that are random and not always the same words. Whackjob aha.
                          Last edited by Yuji Saeki; 11-02-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

There's good fishing in SC, used to go to Santee-Cooper and Albermarle (?) Sound fairly often when I lived in Virginia

Tman

Comment

Ah yeah, a little bit of fishing out by Toccoa in Westminster by the river, West SC. Family has a yearly fishing tournament and we all pitch a bill in for the winner, have our 4th of July and Oktoberfest too. 'Course I grew up in Greenville and the surrounding areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X