X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diskpart

For Diskparth you need to do

Create partition primary size=(sizeofpartition) offset=64

offset can be what you like better, 64 is suppose to be 128 sector on XP i saw it was the recommended alignment (vista and win7 already have aligned partiton to 1024 i think)

I recommend not to use the dispart extend function ever, use other partition softwares

here a link you might like
    http://www.car.net.pk/2008/09/active-boot-disk-401.html

Also, universal restore of acronis true image echo give you the chance to restore a partition on a totally different system. It's really working and quite useful if you decide to upgrade or change from amd to intel or anything.

Just be sure to uninstall cpu drivers before making the image tho, they might conflict even if you use universal restore. (it happened to me, it was easy to use a live pe boot cd and delete the conflicting drivers tho)

Comment

I, too, am no longer considering the G.Skill Falcon. I purchased an Intel x-25 on Ebay. I just can't risk non-support.
      See ya.

Comment

There have been a number of complaints on the lack of support (and knowledge) displayed by Gskill, which is not only here in the forums, their e-mail tech support is no better. Pretty sad for a company that brags about itself as being so up on things

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Ristogod View Post
          Not sure if I understand how this whole alignment thing works. Everything I've read so far makes far more complicated than I think it probably needs to be.

Here is what Diskpar says about my Falcon:

So is it aligned?
          According to this, your partition is not alligned.

Comment

the firmware we released is only for Falcon 256GB
            for the other capacity, we'll post them all tomorrow
            sorry for the late reply

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by FaNIX View Post
              According to this, your partition is not alligned.
              Ok,

I'll probably run some benchmarks on it now. Then go through the process of aligning and reinstalling everything all over again. Then run benchmarks after.

Then I should be able to show how much of a performance difference it makes.

Incidentally, is it possible to backup the partition, wipe the disk, create a new aligned partition, restore the backed up partition, and some how make it bootable again? Can I just run some repair tools from the Vista install disk to repair the MBR or something?
              Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

Comment

I was able to align my partition without losing any data.

This is the method I used:

http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index....sing-Data.html

Just make sure that when you resize the partitions using the GUI part of GParted, that you uncheck the checkbox that mentions using rounding. When I had that checked it was actually rounding larger than the available space and would error when I tried to do the last step where I filled the remaining space by resizing the partition.

Also, I had to use my Vista installation disk to repair the startup, and then use Vista Boot Pro to clean up the invalid boot entries.
                Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

Comment

thanks

Wow, thanks for that info about diskpar. I'll certainly give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                  X