No announcement yet.

Falcon Firmware 1571 When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows when Gskill will update, support on SSD's has been seriously lacking since they introduced their first one.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ristogod, which Image software did you use? And what was your original OS? Vista?Win7? Was your partition still alligned after the restore?

Comment

waiting firmware for falcon 128gb

Comment

Originally posted by FaNIX View Post
          Ristogod, which Image software did you use? And what was your original OS? Vista?Win7? Was your partition still alligned after the restore?
          Acronis True Image 11 Home

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by my partition being aligned after the restore.

After I flashed the firmware, I assumed the drive had wiped itself clean (by what I read in the notes, didn't actually check). I used the Acronis disk to boot into its runtime, where I simply navigated to the backup image on the spare disk and walked through the restore disk/partition wizard. It did its work and upon reboot everything was identical to pre-firmware-update.
          Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast

Comment

Originally posted by Ristogod View Post
            Acronis True Image 11 Home

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by my partition being aligned after the restore.

After I flashed the firmware, I assumed the drive had wiped itself clean (by what I read in the notes, didn't actually check). I used the Acronis disk to boot into its runtime, where I simply navigated to the backup image on the spare disk and walked through the restore disk/partition wizard. It did its work and upon reboot everything was identical to pre-firmware-update.
            You better read up on partition Allignment, because as far as I know if you do a image on a alligned partition, and you restore it, the allignment is not restored, which will result in TERRIBLE SSD performance... do your homework...

Comment

It is this level of non-support that is steering me away from G.Skill Falcon and toward either the Vertex or Intel.

Comment

To honest, if I knew G.Skill had this bad support, I would have paid $50 more and rather got a Vertex.. to all potential buyers, choose wisely..

Comment

The updated Firmware 1571 is the very first Sticky. Thank you for your patience. We are doing our best to keep things updated.

Comment

Regarding the partition alignment issue. I'm hoping because I made an image of the whole drive that it's a non-issue.

Otherwise, if the partition isn't aligned, is there a way to align it without destroying the data on the disk? Or do I need to once again do a full reinstall of the OS? (sounds like Vista aligns itself correctly when it makes the partition)

Comment

firmware for the 128 GB. dispo which date on?
                      by what impossible with the firmware of the 256 GB

Comment

As per COCO92120 when are we going to get a working FW upgrade for drives other than 256 GBs. The lack of alternatives and unclear wording in the upgrade guide almost certainly have caused others besides me to attempt to use the supplied 1571 FW that I, COCO and Astrocramp have told you is flawed if following your upgrade guide to to letter. This weakness and lack of clear explanation is really bad service to your customers, and your recent post mister administrator 'the FW is in the first sticky' only deepens the confusion /abuse you are subjecting GSKILL customers to.

In my case I had to dismantle my RAID array, switch to a vanilla Vista operating system on another disk and motherboard IDE mode, and follow your guides upgrade procedures just to recieve an error 957 like Astrocramp reported (256 drive) on 1 drive and a temporarily tanked 'Yata' on the other drive that after multiboots returned to function both still with 1370 FW. This caused hours of useless work, great disappointment and left me with a computer unable to perform its valuable 3D medical imaging and biotechnology modelling work while I wait for guidance and a working FW upgrade or procedure, BUT 2 DAYS LATER ALL YOUR CUSTOMERS GET IS 'THE FW IS IN THE FIRST STICKY' labelled 256 only and if intended for other it does not work as presented.

Please clarify if your first sticky FW is for all Falcons or only 256s, supply some guidance on when FW for other Falcons (if needed) or other corrections will be made!!!
                        Last edited by Mor; 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Not sure if I understand how this whole alignment thing works. Everything I've read so far makes far more complicated than I think it probably needs to be.

Here is what Diskpar says about my Falcon:

So is it aligned?

Comment

I would think that it is aligned. Acronis True Image likely sets the partitions accordingly in conjunction to the drive your restoring the image onto. So, I think your OK, especially if you imaged the whole drive. But you can always ask Acronis about creating/restoring images using SSD's to be sure.

You can probably also test by doing a benchmark test on your SSD.

I've been using True Image for about two years and haven't really had a problem with it.

Comment

WOW this has got to be the WORST display of customer support I have ever encountered, and such bad support is the sole reason I am selling my gskill falcon 128 and going with OCZ now that the prices are much closer on the Egg. But even if they weren't it is still worth the difference just because of the level of support they offer. Have you guys seen the awesome activity in the forums over there? Geez, there is just no excuse....

Good luck guys

Comment

woohooo too 20days to be able to write here after registration

I don't think we have to worry about the next firmware, their falcon drive is selling well so i'm sure they will try to keep it up.

They need to reply to this forum tho if not their kinda stupid. It's so bad for promotion when people like you blast the company on their forum hihi.

Has for flashing, imaging/restoring with aligned partition and anything really
                                please check Active@ boot disk 4, it's a live pe boot cd, it did wonders for me.

Also i recommend partition table doctor 3.5 it fixed some error i had in the sector count of my partition. + other stuff

+ last acronis disk director and true image

I believe All these essential tools

peace all
                                hope my falcon will stay fast new SSDs rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X