Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KM870 RGB software/firmware issues

Hi Everyone,

I currently own the G.Skill KM780 RGB, hardware wise the keyboard is awesome and its everything I wanted.

However like some others I have some issues with the keyboard software.

Macros disappear, profiles don't save, macros wont delete, macros assign themselves to other G keys, editing macros won't always be consistent and so on.

I have some questions if anyone can please help me:

1. Are the above issues because of a faulty firmware chip?

2. Can a downgrade in the firmware fix my issues? I'm a little worried about bricking my keyboard by resetting the firmware using the button under the footrest. (I use the keyboard for work at the moment because I’m working from home).

3. Can I just send away my keyboard for an RMA? (it’s still under warranty) I am in Australia, do I send this to Taiwan? Will I need to pay for return shipping?

4. Is there any more in depth guide or documentation (other than the manual) on how the software saves profiles.

5. I can find my profiles/macros in the My Documents folder but when I delete them they still show up on the keyboard settings, are these saved to the firmware instead?

Thank you for reading.

Kind regards,

Sorry I mean’t to write KM780 in the title. I cannot edit the title it seems...

Comment

Hi Guerilla. Sadly I had one of these boards until it finally crapped out giving me an excuse to buy a new board from a manufacturer that actively updates their software. I posted some stuff like this before with no help, ever. Just like shrugs and "well its supposed to work" but it doesn't and it never did, properly. It was just very janky software. The keyboard was ok other than some weird issue with capslock key placement where you always hit it on accident.

Anyway, after getting this new board I literally plug it in and omg it actually downloaded its own software then omg it worked out of the box with no issues (the software). The problem is the software is not written well. You can literally find image source files in the install directory which is usually a sign of low quality software development. To the day the thing died they never actually did anything to help. No updates just silence like on your post here.

Wouldn't even be that big of a deal if they had eventually gotten the software re-written but alas they never did because "well, its suppose to work" so they don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Sorry. Best to get another board from a reputable manufacturer.

Comment

Hi Melodros, Thanks for replying.

Yes it is very sad because the keyboard is actually great. If only there was some kind of third party software that could work with the G-Keys and Lighting profiles. After not receiving any reply to my post i contacted support and was given instructions on how to reset the firmware. This worked at first but after about a week the software and macro's started to mess up again.

I contacted support again and they advised to send the keyboard in for RMA. I have to post mine to Taiwan (because I'm in Australia) this is pretty inconvenient for me and I have a feeling the software will continue to cause problems even if i get a new/fixed keyboard from the RMA process.

This is my solution to manage these issues:

1. Do a firmware reset, this will delete all your macro/lighting profiles and macros on the firmware of the keyboard. (or you could manually delete all macros and profiles).

2. Setup all your macros again and assign them to your preferred M1,M2,M3 profiles and G-keys etc. (Very annoying but something I've had to get used to doing multiple times.)

3. Once you've gotten everything saved the way you want. Go to the spanner Icon in the top right and choose "Export all profiles and settings". (save them to a known location, I have a folder on my desktop specifically for the keyboard settings).

4. WHEN (not if) your macros and all your setting become messed up, go and delete all your macros and all your profiles. (if you don't and just try to import your saved settings it will create duplicates of your macros and profiles. For example a macro named "Macro 1" will be copied and you'll end up with "Macro 1 (1)" , Profile 1(1) etc.

If you've saved a profile to keyboard memory you will need to hit the + (plus) sign under the select profile and create a blank New Profile and save it to the keyboard memory in order to be able to delete your old one. This is because you cannot delete a profile while its saved to keyboard memory. Creating a new profile will lag out the software and you'll need to wait a minute for it to load a new profile in, strangely importing all the config files and settings doesn't lag anything at all, probably because it's not overwriting/writing anything.

5. Once all your macro's and profiles are deleted and its back to being blank, go to the spanner icon and choose "Import all configuration files and settings". This should put everything back to the way you've set it up.

One more tip about editing the macros, it is fraught with danger, it can wipe and remove everything, you'll click to edit a timing and it will record the numpad key instead of the actually number/time you want to insert. I've found that if this starts happening you need to select the option below and click edit and it will select the option above to allow you to edit the timing. It's so weird, I'll try to demonstrate:

In this example i've got the Q key being pressed a couple of times.

Q (button down)
        0.08 seconds delay ----To edit this delay you will usually need to select the 'Q' (button Up) option below for it to allow you to edit the timing.This happens often.
        Q (button up)
        1.53 seconds delay
        Q (button down)
        0.08 seconds delay
        Q (button up)
        1.53 seconds delay
        Q (button down)
        0.08 seconds delay
        Q (button up)

Its just so disappointing the software is so under developed, If the software functioned the way it should the keyboard would be flawless and I'd be telling everyone i know to buy it. If i was a smarter person I would probably attempt to reverse engineer the software and fix it myself.

Thank you again for replying. I doubt the software will ever be fixed. Sad :*(

Kind regards,
        Guerrilla

Attached is a quick pic of the software with areas i've highlighted
        Attached Files

Comment

The staff doesnt even look at the forum since forever. just get another keyboard. seriously, this is nothing but stressful expirience, I am never buying G.Skill product again.
          Edit: I sent ticket in, I am going to see what they are going to say, I hope its something usefull

Comment

Working...
          X