Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KM780 RGB & MX Firmware Downgrade/Reset (Manual Firmware Update)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G.SKILL View Post
    If you're living anywhere in North America (and where your keyboard is), our RMA procedure will direct you to send it back to our RMA facility in California.
    If you're living in Bangladesh (and where your keyboard is), our RMA procedures will direct you to send it to our headquarters in Taiwan.

The online RMA request form is here: https://www.gskill.com/rma
    The address in the online RMA request form will be used as the return shipping address.
    After submitting this form, you may be asked to send in your proof of purchase, so have it ready in PDF format or a file format you can attach in the email. If you have any other questions, our RMA representatives would be glad to assist you via email.

Before requesting RMA, please do make sure you give our warranty policy a quick read. If there's liquid damage or physical damage to the keyboard, it may prevent the keyboard from qualifying for a replacement.
    I have sent the keyboard to Taiwan for RMA. It has been 4 das but I am yet to receive a confirmation regarding.
    Who do I get in touch with regarding this matter. I want confirmation that Gskill Taiwan has received it ?

And I when will i get the keyboard and do I need to pay for shipping again for returning ?
    Attached Files

Comment

The return shipping is paid by us, at G.SKILL. Let us check in with the RMA department, and will provide an update via PM.

For RMA related questions in the future, you may also send an email to rma@gskill.com and our RMA team will be able to better assist you.

Comment

*****Update******
        Got the keyboard back in September 2019 from the RMA department in Taiwan, all issues resolved and working better than before.

Comment

Got this wonderful keyboard sometime in March of 2019 and have really enjoyed it. Primarily used it for my home, Windows 10 system but also used it as a Mac Book peripheral when I worked from home (which has been every week since mid-March this year). Sometime during the first full week of December, I tried to log into my desktop in the morning which had apparently restarted during the night for a system update and the keyboard wasn't working--no lights, no input response from any keys. I hooked it to my Mac (work laptop) to see if it worked there and nothing there either so I had to go grab an old keyboard that I keep around for backup.

I found this wonderful forum the following week and went through all the steps at the top to update the firmware & driver software but it didn't work. Earlier this week, I went through the steps again after some correspondence with G-Skill Support because I was uncertain if I'd used the latest drivers. It turned out I had downloaded the correct ones but I noticed something on my second attempt that I hadn't before. Windows 10 WAS recognizing that I'd plugged in a G-Skill KM 780 RGB and many of the keys WERE working--just no lights and a few non-functioning keys. Since one of the tests was to press the windows key and the left windows key didn't do anything, I'd assumed the whole thing was dead. Having zero lights also gave me that assumption.

I didn't test every single key but determined that 2 or 3 of the letter keys are not responding (and, no, they aren't even keys I use frequently for gaming but somewhat frequently for typing--like 'h') as well as the left windows key and the arrow keys. The other thing that happens is that I get a message saying that there is no device whenever I run the software setup to reinstall the software for managing the keyboard settings and profiles. I'd uninstalled my previous version per the instructions so now can't even set that up again despite the operating system being able to recognize that the keyboard is there.

It's not usable in this state so I still need help. I think between this odd behavior in Windows 10 as well as in Mac OS/.X, it seems like more of a hardware issue since resetting the firmware didn't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawthorne View Post
            Got this wonderful keyboard sometime in March of 2019 and have really enjoyed it. Primarily used it for my home, Windows 10 system but also used it as a Mac Book peripheral when I worked from home (which has been every week since mid-March this year). Sometime during the first full week of December, I tried to log into my desktop in the morning which had apparently restarted during the night for a system update and the keyboard wasn't working--no lights, no input response from any keys. I hooked it to my Mac (work laptop) to see if it worked there and nothing there either so I had to go grab an old keyboard that I keep around for backup.
            It's not usable in this state so I still need help. I think between this odd behavior in Windows 10 as well as in Mac OS/.X, it seems like more of a hardware issue since resetting the firmware didn't fix it.
            May we ask if you contacted ustech@gskillusa.com or techsupport@gskill.com? As long as it's within warranty, we should be able to help with a replacement.

Comment

I got a response back and have submitted an RMA Request. It may have been that second e-mail address given above. I initially got in contact by submitting a help request from the forum registration page since there was a bug preventing me from registering (obviously fixed now as I'm now using the forum). Looking forward to resolution on this. I appreciate the customer service.

Comment

GSkill Post:
                So the issue I have been having is keys randomly double type. Space will put in 3-4 spaces and letters will randomly double type making this almost impossible to have a legit conversation with anyone.

However, this technique seemed to HELP a lot but not completely resolve the issue.

Testing to see if this fixed my keyboard
                testing to see if this fixed my keyboard
                testing to see if this fixed mmmy keyboard

Prior to doing this, it was almost every word, and every space...... This has made a HUGE difference so im not sure what to try next but this technique definately mmade a difference as you can see by this post. I have worked in IT for 25 years and type roughly 120 WPM with 1% error rate. I did not slow down on typing this post at all and am doing this on purpose to try to recreate this issue to hopefully get it resolved. While I am human and can make mistakes I firmly believe this is hardware/software related however this keyboard is brand new.

I am not trying to clean up this post as I am actually trying to use it as an example of what keeps happening to me and as far as I can tell im only getting a couple double spaces and a couple double letters versus as I posted above, ever single space, and every work having extra letters.

Please advise on what else I can try to resolve this issue. This has been reproduced on TWO different PCs however I did not find this post prior to installing my new i7 11770k but the issue followed the kkeyboard. I also have a corsair keyboard that does the exact same thing (MUCH WORSE) however that keyboard was used so im not able to blame that completely on the software.

The below text is prior to me doing this trick: (as you can see it was MUCH worse before reverting firmware, but the issue still exists to an extent)
                just testing to see what is going on with my keyboard
                just testingto s ee what is going on with my kkeyboard
                just testtting to see what is going on with my keyboard
                just testiing to see what isx going on with my keyboard
                -
                just testing to see what i s going on with my keyboard
                just testing to see what is ggoing on with my kkkeyboard

Update: Since doing this fixed I have noticed a HUGE difference in the double typing / spacing. I will say I had to get my wife to hold the paperclip and help me do the reset but worked like a charm.

Comment

@deciph3red

Thanks for the feedback. Glad the firmware reset helps.

There might be other things you can try to see if it'll help reduce the double typing.
                  1. Plug the main USB connector into a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 port, if your motherboard rear I/O has USB 2.0. There may be some signal interference or accuracy with the polling rates of that port.
                  2. There is a hardware switch next to the cable from the keyboard. Switch that to "S", instead of "G". This should put it into the standard 6-key rollover mode, instead of the n-key rollover mode (with "G"). In some cases, this may help with the double typing.
                  3. Related to #1, if you have the software installed, perhaps you can set the polling rate to 500 or 250, instead of 1000. In some cases, it may help.

Comment

This is a fresh PC and fresh install. Also my new PC is an i7 11770 w/32 GB RAM and a 1070 GTX nVidia GPU. It is a Dell XPS 8940 gifted to my by clanmates. According to the manual it has all of the ports are USB 3.1 except for tthe bottom two on the mainboard (Back Panel). TThese are t he ports I am using. I have already changed my polling rate to 250Hz.

Also, and I dont want to sound like im complaining, but with this being the 2nd PC it has done this on, I highly doubt it is hardware related. I have installed the GSKILL software, uninstalled the software............and even went as far as doing a fresh reinstall without ANY custom Mice/Keyboard software, and have been able to reproduce the issue on two machines. After speaking with some other clan mates it seems this issue is randomm on multiple other devices and also seems to coem and go. At the time I psoted this it was NOT happening at all,but as I am typing this it is (as you can see above). I had this same issue on both PCs with this keyboard (brand new) and a corsair board (used) and just figured it was the corsair keyboard before..... however I am now beginning to believe this is something w ithin Windows 10.........

It almost is like it is either skipping keys, then trying to make up for it, which is why it does it on letters and the space, and even misspells words because it is almost like it is trying to catch up. Whil my original post actually says the firmware seemed to help, at the timem of my typing this it almost seems worse, but did want to encourage others to possibly try this and prove that the firmware downgrade is indeed possible although y ou may need another set of hands.

NOTE: I swear I am not badd at typing, I just didn't want to edit or clean up this post in hopes that someone else may have resolved this issue if they can s ee exactly what it is doing.

@deciph3red

Thanks for the feedback. Glad the firmware reset helps.

There might be other things you can try to see if it'll help reduce the double typing.
                    1. Plug the main USB connector into a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0 port, if your motherboard rear I/O has USB 2.0. There may be some signal interference or accuracy with the polling rates of that port.
                    2. There is a hardware switch next to the cable from the keyboard. Switch that to "S", instead of "G". This should put it into the standard 6-key rollover mode, instead of the n-key rollover mode (with "G"). In some cases, this may help with the double typing.
                    3. Related to #1, if you have the software installed, perhaps you can set the polling rate to 500 or 250, instead of 1000. In some cases, it may help.

Comment

Question: Does this keyboard actually show up as 6 different keyboards in device manager for anyone else.

Comment

Just wanted to post an update. I stole my sons 15 year old Dell USB keyboard (not mechanical) and the issue is resolved. Using my front USB 2.0 ports and as soon as I plug in the G.Skill the issue starts again. It is a hardware/software/driver issue on G.Skills part.

Comment

Originally posted by deciph3red View Post
                          Just wanted to post an update. I stole my sons 15 year old Dell USB keyboard (not mechanical) and the issue is resolved. Using my front USB 2.0 ports and as soon as I plug in the G.Skill the issue starts again. It is a hardware/software/driver issue on G.Skills part.
                          Would you mind reaching out to our RMA team, to check if you can get an RMA replacement under warranty? Best if you can include a photo of the label on the back of the keyboard, so we know the product number. If you're in North America, please email rma@gskillusa.com. If you're elsewhere, please email rma@gskill.com.

Comment

This was purchased as a gift from a clan member so I do not have the receipt (They all pitched in and got me this new PC along with the keyboard). I can try to contact him and will update you if he is able to locate the receipt.

Would you mind reaching out to our RMA team, to check if you can get an RMA replacement under warranty? Best if you can include a photo of the label on the back of the keyboard, so we know the product number. If you're in North America, please email rma@gskillusa.com. If you're elsewhere, please email rma@gskill.com.

Comment

Working...
                            X