Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion to localize the wrong component...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion to localize the wrong component...

Hi guys,
    I wrote because I've a strange problem with my new Z77 platform composed by:

- Motherboard Asus Maximus Gene V updated to lastest BIOS
    - CPU Ivy Bridge i7 3770k
    - RAM 2x8Gb G.Skill TridentX F3-2400C10D-16GTX

When I've first mounted the rig and entered BIOS, motherboard cannot load Windows (but POST) @ XMP profile.
    Changed manually voltages and timings as listed in forum topic, nothing good.

Tested @ 2133 is a GO with 2400 timings but I've conducted full tests.

Unfortunatly, I've fired up my CPU and I've changed it with another 3770k (same batch of the first) and with this RAM cannot POST (nothing error displayed in Q-Code, only PC boots then suddently shutdown and I've to clear CMOS) NEVER at 2000/2133/2400.

Placing manually @ 1600 Mhz with 1,65V and 7-9-9-24 1T timings will boot ok and Memtest have 2 full passes.

How do you think about this?

May need higher DRAM or MC (memory Controller) voltage, many mobo makers are still working on their BIOSs to work well with 8GB sticks, especially the high freq sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      May need higher DRAM or MC (memory Controller) voltage, many mobo makers are still working on their BIOSs to work well with 8GB sticks, especially the high freq sticks
      Thank you for your reply, I've already tested the following:

VCCSA Voltage: 1.10V, DRAM Voltage: 1.75V but should not work

Do you suggest to raise more values?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, might want to try running Memtest on each stick (maybe 4-5 passes) to ensure both sticks test OK

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, might want to try running Memtest on each stick (maybe 4-5 passes) to ensure both sticks test OK
          Lastest Bios installed v.1101, I've already tested Memtest86+ 4.20 with both sticks @ 1600Mhz at stated timings 7-9-9-24-1T 2 full passes successfully.

This evening I would try 7-9-9-24@1866 with 1,65 on VDRAM and 1,25 on VCSSA.

I've only one question, why with the other CPU memory @2400 will POST but not let Windows boot?

Comment

May not have enough voltage to start loading (generally vCore or possibly DRAM, MC), do you get an error message?

Tman

Comment

May not have enough voltage to start loading (generally vCore or possibly DRAM, MC), do you get an error message?
              Nope, system only restart after save and reboot but suddently shutdown with no errors in Q-Code display.

Comment

Might try clearing CMOS, booting into BIOS w/ 1 stick, enable XMP. select the profile, save, shutdown, add the other stick then give that a try

Tman

Comment

Might try clearing CMOS, booting into BIOS w/ 1 stick, enable XMP. select the profile, save, shutdown, add the other stick then give that a try
                  Already tried on even A1/A2/B1/B2 every time is a no-go

Comment

I'd guess the BIOS just isn't ready for the sticks, be odd if all sticks were bad.

Tman

Comment

I'd guess the BIOS just isn't ready for the sticks, be odd if all sticks were bad.
                      MMM... so why MG5 is on both G.Skill and Asus QVL?

I think if it's a BIOS issue everyone with these model of peripherals have the problem...

Comment

Generally true, but as an example I have a Asrock z77 x4, that had problems with the BIOS (specifically the tRFC was limited to 255, worked w/ them they fixed it in ver 1.4, 1.6 was fine also, but when I tried 2.0 the same problem popped up, so I'm back on 1.6

Tman

Comment

Generally true, but as an example I have a Asrock z77 x4, that had problems with the BIOS (specifically the tRFC was limited to 255, worked w/ them they fixed it in ver 1.4, 1.6 was fine also, but when I tried 2.0 the same problem popped up, so I'm back on 1.6
                          That's the point Tradesman, I've noticed in my DRAM Timings menu and the tRFC is Auto set to 255, but I've noticed from SPD tab of CPU-Z that this value must be highly.

I've tried to raise it up but it's a no-go.

Comment

Try changing it manually, if it reverts back to 255, then may have to do as I did and try older versions, or contact them to usge a change....in the meantime if you can post all your secondary timings I'll see if I can figure a workaround as I did on mine till they got a new release out

Tman

Comment

Try changing it manually, if it reverts back to 255, then may have to do as I did and try older versions, or contact them to usge a change....in the meantime if you can post all your secondary timings I'll see if I can figure a workaround as I did on mine till they got a new release out
                              Some good (or bad?) news:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Manually imput the following settings in UEFI PC will not cyclically reboot but will stay on, no POST or Windows loading BUT behaviour has been changed from the start...

Other settings tried are VDRAM @ 1,65/1,70 ; VCCSA @ 1,15/1,20 ; VCCIO @ 1,15 ; speed @ 2400/2133.

Unfortunatly Asus cannot permit downgrade of the board BIOS so...

Comment

Working...
                              X