P8Z68-V/GEN3 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P8Z68-V/GEN3 and F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I just finished a new rig based on Intel i7-2600k 3.4GHz on an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 MOBO. I bought two 8GB sets of Ripjaws X model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL from the same vendor (newegg) at the same time. For each set the SN is sequential between the two sticks. And comparing the first pair with the 2nd pair the SN is only 63 away.

I have not attempted to install my video card (or any other add-on) yet and just am trying to get a clean post install to BIOS with just the MB, CPU, and Mem. So far I have not seen anything come up on the display and I see the DRAM light on solid when I power up. The system actually starts for about 3 seconds, shuts off, then starts up again and stays on. Only the DRAM light is illuminated on the MOBO (plus the power switch light).

The DRAM slots on this board are labeled (from CPU outward) A1, A2, B1, B2. Let's call the sticks from my first Ripjaws set S1a, and S1b. And the second set S2a, S2b.

Here are the install configs I have attempted (all have failed).
    1st attempt
    A1=S1a
    A2=S1b
    B1=S2a
    B2=S2b
    I think this initial config was an error and hopefully it didn't mess anything up.
    2nd attempt
    A1=S1a
    A2=S2a
    B1=S1b
    B2=S2b
    3rd attempt (dropping down to 8GB since I've read where some have had problems using 2 sets of pairs)
    A1=empty
    A2=S1a
    B1=empty
    B2=S1b
    4th attempt
    A1=empty
    A2=S2a
    B1=empty
    B2=S2b

I learned after my first failed attempt that this memory is not on the ASUS QVL for this board and got discouraged, until seeing in this forum where some people have had similar configs work.

I have not yet attempted the MemOK switch as I am not clear on whether there are any disadvantages to using that button and whether I am at the stage where it should be attempted.

I would appreciate any advice to initially get the first 2 sticks working, and hopefully to get all 4 working.

thanks

Make sure you have the latest BIOS....before each step in testing, press the Mem OK switch then try with each set in A1 and B1, with each go into BIOS enable XMP select profile 1 and try it, if either set fails to boot run Memtest on each stick of that set individually to see if errors on either one (Memtest can take all night on each so suggest just running 4-5 passes, if no errors, test the other. If no errors then install all four, raise DRAM voltage by + .05 and about the same to the CPUVTT voltage. If errors with both sets, post your BIOS settings with all four sticks under auto

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman for the VERY quick reply. I cannot check or update my BIOS until I can get a BIOS screen to display - which has not happened for me yet with this new rig. Thanks for the MemOK advice, and I have proceeded with that in the following 2 configs:
      One set of sticks in the A2 and B2 slots (because the ASUS manual says these are the preferred slots when only 2 sticks are in use)
      - and with my other set of sticks in A1 and B1
      (in both cases, the other 2 slots were left empty)

I turned the machine on and waited for the solid DRAM light. I pressed and held MemOK for a few seconds util it began blinking (as described it should in the manual). In both cases it only took perhaps 2-4 minutes before the blinking returned to a solid light and stayed that way. In both cases it performed a restart, but not several as I would have expected.

I will next test each stick individually to see if I observe anything different/better. I will put it into the A2 slot which is the ASUS recommendation for single stick. I may not get to that tonight, but will post again tomorrow once I have.

And regarding posting the BIOS settings, a reminder that these are all brand new out of the box components and I cannot reach the BIOS screen to see any settings.

BTW - I wrote to ASUS on this issue and this was their reply:
      "The memory you mentioned is not listed in the qvl,there is no test report.
      In theory,the memory fits the spec of motherboard,so it should be support.
      Please have a check if the manufacturer of this memory has tested this memory on the P8Z68-V .
      If the power supply has no problem, please take the motherboard out of case and keep the necessary components(a CPU, a video card, a memory) onboard and clear BIOS for a test."

Unfortunately the response from ASUS didn't help that much.

thanks again for your help

Comment

Basically they are suggesting you pull the mobo and do a bench test, this can help determine if there may be a possible short i.e. not all the mobo attachment points were firmly screwed into the standoffs, of a peice of the metal case was possibly touching a trace on the mobo. It can be a pain but isn't a bad idea, another (maybe even more of a pain) is to pull the CPU and make sure no thermal compound is on the bottom of the CPU or in the socket, and that there are no bent/broken pins (not uncommon - even fresh out of the box)....Can also try with a single stick at a time - if nothing in the single stick scenerio, then probable the mobo or the CPU is bad (would lean to the mobo)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I performed the one stick at a time tests. Got the DRAM light on each time (just like before), tried the MemOK button each time - only did its blinking for a couple minutes with one restart in between, then back to solid DRAM light on. I also pulled any SATA cables to the board and all front panel wires except for the power switch - just to be sure.

So, it looks like I need to take it to the next step in the troubleshooting, and as you said - may be looking at a MOBO or CPU issue. I will next try to run the system outside of the case. Do you recommend I remove the heatsink for this next test (CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO)?

Either way, if it does not work sitting on a cardboard box I will check to see if there appears to be any thermal compound spilling over. I had a good look at the bottom of the CPU before it went in and it looked perfect - I'll be very surprised if there are any bent pins.

thanks again

Comment

Further update: I have performed tests outside the case - with only the power connectors, power switch lead, and cable to display monitor attached. I tried this with one mem stick in. Same results.

I took off the heatsink and there was pretty good dispersion of the thermal compound, definitely none went over the sides. I also did a visual examination of the CPU and socket and it is possible there is a bent pin in the socket. It is so small it is hard to say for sure. If it is a bent pin, could such a problem manifest itself as a DRAM error?

thanks

Comment

Sounds like a bad motherboard that needs to be replaced.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks GSkill Tech and Tman for your input. I think a bad motherboard is the right call here. That is unfortunate, but I'm glad I'm not chasing down dead ends like replacing the memory which wouldn't have gotten me anywhere.

Comment

If it's a bent pin (and YES< they are often hard to see, it can cause many different problems, often that will relate to DRAM....and it's not all that unusual, just putting the plastic socket cover on the mobo during manufacturing can bend one or two

Tman

Comment

Looks like there is a thread already for my memory+mobo combination, so I'll use this one!

CPU in my system is i7 2600k and I have actually two sets of these modules --> total of 16GB RAM

Problem is that no matter what settings I try, I'm not able to get anything more out of these memory modules. All I can do, is to put command rate to 1 and that is all. Even that doesn't seem to be stable always. If I try to lower cas latency to 8, even with DRAM COMMAND MODE 2
                    (command rate), it won't even boot anymore.

Normally I run my CPU @ 5GHz, but lowering it back to stock speeds doesn't seem to matter anything, and even at 5GHz I can not get my rig to reboot or freeze with pure CPU benchmarks.

I have also ran memtest86+ with the whole set @ XMP set speeds, and no errors what so ever.

Does anyone have any ideas how to overclock these, or atleast lower some latencies some how, and get the machine to boot atleast, or even better, be stable at those settings..?

I know that these are XL-series (low overclocking potential) and that I have two sets, and that might also have an bad effect to overclocking capability, but I was just hoping that there might be atleast some hope left for me with these!

Here's all the possible settings from BIOS to tinker with: (regarding RAM & overclocking ofcourse!

Thank you in advance!
                    Last edited by Wermin; 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Don't use XMP, manually input settings.

DRAM Voltage needs to be 1.65V for overclocking and lowering timings.

Command Rate 2 because you have 2 kits.

REF Cycle Time needs to be much higher, so make sure that automatically goes up with AUTO settings.

VCCIO should be OK with AUTO.

Let us know how it goes

Comment

I bumbed the DRAM voltage to 1.65V, left VCCIO to AUTO and tried 1866MHz with timing settings of 11-11-11-28 and Command Rate 2. I also took REF Cycle Time up to 248.

Computer booted up, but hanged in a short moment. I was just able to get past POST, but that's it.

Next I tried 1600MHz with 8-9-9-24 timings with Command Rate 2 and REF Cycle Time at same number as earlier (248). Voltages were same as before (1.65V and AUTO).

Computer didn't even boot up. Just hangs up with cooler fans blowing and screen off.

Last I put timings back to 9-9-9-24-1 and everything else to auto. DRAM voltage at 1.5V and frequency at 1600MHz.

Everything works again just fine.

Any more good ideas how to get atleast little boost out of these..?

Comment

So you took it off XMP and set it to manual right?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Comment

Yes I did put it to manual, although I gues that it doesn't make any difference if you change some setting after that anyway. But altogether, I did put it to manual just for to be sure.

My BIOS is version 3603 dated 11/9/2012, and it should be the latest available.
                            Last edited by Wermin; 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X