Trident X DDR3 2400 + Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Unable to use XMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident X DDR3 2400 + Asrock Z77 Extreme6, Unable to use XMP

I'm trying to figure out *why* i'm unable to set this ram to the XMP profile without boot loops. Long story short, On boot it loads DDR3-1333 (DRAM Frequency). I have one option in bios. Select `load xmp setting` and there i have xmp 1.3 profile 1 (or 2) reading the correct 2,400 specs.

If I select the profile the computer reboots (a few times), finally it comes back and takes me directly to the bios. at which point everything is set back to 1333.

Think i've notice. The other choice in bios is to select DRAM Frequency and that seems to work better. I can select up to 2,200 and the system boots without issues. selecting 2,400 results in the same issues as using the XMP profile.

What can I do to get this xmp profile working at the 2,400 speed.

Specs;
    . +Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    . G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-8GTX
    . ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Can you post up your BIOS settings, I know they have problems in the Advanced Timings in the BIOS on the Z Extreme 4, which I'm currently working with

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Can you post up your BIOS settings, I know they have problems in the Advanced Timings in the BIOS on the Z Extreme 4, which I'm currently working with
      I'm not sure which bios settings are helpful.

here's some in bios

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings3.jpg
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings4.jpg

and here's more

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings1.PNG
      http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings2.PNG
      Last edited by Czar; 05-12-2012, 12:53 PM. Reason: added more pics

Comment

Where it shows Load XMP settings - click on XMP Profile 1, then boot, and go back into BIOS, now in the primary timings under the DRAM Configuration settings the main should show 10-12-12-31 2N where it is now showing 10-15-15-40-1N if it doesn't correct the timings to the 10-12-12-31 2N mentioned above and give that a try......hopefully having the correct timings in the base area will AUTO correct the advanced timings beneath it, if not let me know what they change to, in particular the tRFC which is to low now and the tFAW which looks a little high

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Where it shows Load XMP settings - click on XMP Profile 1, then boot, and go back into BIOS, now in the primary timings under the DRAM Configuration settings the main should show 10-12-12-31 2N where it is now showing 10-15-15-40-1N if it doesn't correct the timings to the 10-12-12-31 2N mentioned above and give that a try......hopefully having the correct timings in the base area will AUTO correct the advanced timings beneath it, if not let me know what they change to, in particular the tRFC which is to low now and the tFAW which looks a little high
          Sounds good. Here is using XMP Profile 1.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings5.jpg
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings6.jpg

After selecting XMP 1.3 (profile 1) the pc reboots, reboots again, reboots again and drops back into bios.

<edit> the closest i could get to using your timings was by changing `load xmp setting` back to [auto] and setting `dram frequency` to [ddr3-2200] (2400 would cause boot loop and back to bios.)

So trying to use the timings to find out what the tRFC would be...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings7.jpg
          http://dl.dropbox.com/u/286820/asroc..._settings8.jpg
          Last edited by Czar; 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM. Reason: added another try.

Comment

The second set of timings looks better, those at 2200, not might try boot to boot up at 2200, then go into BIOS simply change the freq to 2400...and...raise VCCSA voltage to 1.016, VTT (may show as VCCIO) voltage to 1.1 or so, and raise the CPU multiplier to about 4.2 (need an OC to run the sticks up there) and give that a try....if it boots up and is stable could try lowering the OC, the VTT etc, to see what exactly is required to maintain the stability

Tman

Comment

The second set of timings looks better, those at 2200, not might try boot to boot up at 2200, then go into BIOS simply change the freq to 2400...and...raise VCCSA voltage to 1.016, VTT (may show as VCCIO) voltage to 1.1 or so, and raise the CPU multiplier to about 4.2 (need an OC to run the sticks up there) and give that a try....if it boots up and is stable could try lowering the OC, the VTT etc, to see what exactly is required to maintain the stability
              Preformed the tweaks and it results in the same boot loop issues. The ram is set back to 1333. i have noticed that running 2200 using your 10-12-12-31 2 settings (not auto) have slightly increased read/write/copy/lag. the system always boot loops selecting the xmp profile, [auto] and custom dram freq is the only way to load? Do i try raised vccsa, vtt (or freq/cpu/dram), or other?

Comment

Try raising VCCSA as I described along with VTT, based on my experiences with ASRock they just don't have their BIOSs ready for fast large capacity sticks (ran into the same with a few of their P67s) just sent them a support request on the advanced timings Issues about 10 minutes ago, though I'll prob get it figured out before I hear back from them

Tman

Comment

Try raising VCCSA as I described along with VTT, based on my experiences with ASRock they just don't have their BIOSs ready for fast large capacity sticks (ran into the same with a few of their P67s) just sent them a support request on the advanced timings Issues about 10 minutes ago, though I'll prob get it figured out before I hear back from them

any word on this? i've tried all suggestions above, still unable to boot at 2400, also tried the latest ASRock bios updates (up to 1.50) and still not fixed.
                  Last edited by Czar; 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Might check with ASRock and see how they are coming with their BIOS updates, pablomedina@asrockamerica.com is in tech support. Will drop GSkill Tech a note to see if he can take a look here also

Tman

Comment

Same specs, same problem

@Czar, I have the exact same specs as you (i5-3570k, Extreme6 w/ 1.50 BIOS, G.Skill F3-2400C10D-8GTX). I have been having the exact same issue. XMP profile will not work and I get stuck in a reboot loop. I have also only been able to get to 2200 manually, using auto settings. Any advice from G.Skill on this would be appreciated, however I'm guessing it would be best to contact ASRock and find out what the status is on the next BIOS update. I could have sworn I saw this RAM was compatible on the ASRock website when I purchased from Newegg last week, but now it's not listed.

@Tradesman, I am also a Tucson native. What part of town are you?

Comment

Not native, though been here about 24 years, towards South Eastern part, off Golf Links....and definitely would check with ASRock, they had troubles w/ 32 GB sets and with 8GB sticks, they just sent me beta BIOSs for both P67 and Z77, I am playing with now

Tman

Comment

Well, if you want to get technical then I've been here for 19 years, but I think that qualifies as native at this point. I still am surprised every year around this time when I get into my oven of a car. Why did I go with black again? I'm over at Swan/River area. Btw what's your opinion of SWS? Have you been in there recently?

I went with a 2x4GB kit. I'll try the direct e-mail you provided. The sole reason I went with the Z77 Extreme6 over the Extreme4 was because I had read people had better luck with compatibility. Oh well, let's see what they have to say. I'll keep the thread updated on any results/manual timings.

Comment

Haven't been there in awhile, my son goes over there a lot, he works on systems also, mainly to help friends and also manages about 60 systems at a unit on DM...I normally just order through the Egg or on occasion make an excuse to run up to Phoenix and hit Fry's (that way I can also hit Cabela's and BASS Pro Shops)....

Are you running the 1.5 BIOS? They were suppose to have some DRAM updates in that for some GSkill sets, they were in touch with GSkill about the high freq/high capacity DRAM issues I know that I brought up (mainly revolved around 16/32GB sets @ 2133 and up), they can also be reached at

tsd@asrockamerica.com and support@asrockamerica.com

Tman

Comment

Me neither. Usually only if I need it same day. I've had terrible experiences with them in the past which is why I try to avoid. Upper management just doesn't care about the clients.

Yeah? Does/did he go to UA? I might know him. Can't remember the last time I was in a Fry's, but I do remember thinking, "why don't we have this in Tucson?"

Yes, currently running 1.5. I'm going to play around with it some more with lax manual settings to see if I can get it to at least boot at 2400.

What's your opinion on capacities that large? I had thought about a 2x8 or 4x4 for this new build, but my experience has been they go largely unused. However, I do like ASRock's Xfast RAM feature which I have yet to try. Being able to use my RAM as a disk at ~20GB/sec would be the only scenario where that much would be warranted, at least for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X