Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. Skill Ram for Asus Sabertooth X79

Edit:

Better yet just tell me if this ram (F3-12800CL7Q-16GBZM) is compatible.

Hello, I was wondering what ram G. Skill makes that is compatible with Asus' Sabertooth X79 motherboard. I have been searching but it seems that not all X79 certified ram works for all X79 boards for what ever reason so to avoid futher confusion and hours of search I thought I would come to the source.

I am looking for 1066Mhz quad channel packages for 16Gb as my first choice, I would be willing to do 1600 though if there are no 1066's even if they are more expensive.

In case you need it the cpu I am using is going to be the 3960k.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Geowil; 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM.
    "I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

The 1600s would be fine, the entire Ripjaws Z line of DRAM was designed for the X79 chipset, 1600 is prob the lowest you want to go, that's the default for the X79/2011 socket

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

All right, sounds good then. This'll be my first time using G. Skill, I used to use OCZ exclusively for my builds and had been planning to again until I read (this week) that they stopped making ram a while ago.
      "I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend to be one of those Deaf-Mutes...Or should I?" --Laughing Man

Comment

Think you'll be happy with them, let us know how it goes.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply, actually forgot about this thread

I am having some issues. The ram works, and wonderfully, however it is being under clocked to the extreme. According to 3DMark 11 each stick is being under clocked to 667Mhz.

In the bios I have to have it set at 1333Mhz or else my computer either fails to boot or the bios reset themselves after a failed boot attempt. For what ever reason I have been unable to get the full 1600Mhz out of them.

I am wondering if this is normal or if there are some settings in the Bios I need to change. I have bumped the voltage up from 1.500 to 1.550 but that did not fix this issue. The ram does run a bit quicker though in operations with the bumped voltage.

Comment

Did you try enabling XMP and setting the 1600 profile

Tman

Comment

No, I am more worried about overclocking my processor. It was just an oddity I noticed. My computer runs fine as it is but I was just wondering if the ram was supposed to be clocked that low.

I found a post on Overclockers.net that stated that in x-channel setups the total speed of the ram is distributed among the different ram sticks. Projecting that int this situation that would mean my ram is working correctly and I have it over clocked to 2668Mhz even (4x667) if what I read was indeed correct.

I will give the XMP profile a try though probably on Sunday and see what happens.

Comment

Give XMP a try, if it adjust the CPU at all it will be minimal...And NO, the total speed is not distributed over the number of the sticks, that probably came from one of the self proclaimed gurus over there. Your set is rated 1600 and each individual stick runs at 1600, you might see these identified as 800 which is the TRUE freq, but have to remember this is DDR (Double Data Rate) memory, so it's actual freq x 2 to get rated freq. As far as it running at 1333, that is the mobo default speed, most newer mobos default to 1333 or 1600, so that it can auto sense when new sticks are installed, it takes some base default boot settings from the SPD of the sticks to get you running, might take a look at my iinfo thread on CPU-Z for a little more info

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

Tman

Comment

Alright, I enabled XMP and was able to set my ram to 1600Mhz I think. I cannot confirm it because CPUZ will not read any information from my ram.

Comment

Check the memory tab in CPU-Z should show what it is running at, the base timings, etc. Or can download MaxxMem Preview, it will also tell you what the sticks are running at

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      Check the memory tab in CPU-Z should show what it is running at, the base timings, etc. Or can download MaxxMem Preview, it will also tell you what the sticks are running at
                      Turns out the updated version did not install correctly. Reinstalled it and the information is showing up now. It lists the clocks as 800Mhz which, since you noted it would be the BIOS setting/2, is correct.

Thanks.

Comment

Not a problem, you're at 1600

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X