No announcement yet.

GSkill 2133 memory issues with ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go ahead and make sure it's stable then you can always attempt to raise the freq as you have time, it will really be a matter of experimentation

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Got this today in my email from ASRock support. Talk about an anticlimax, huh?

"The Asrock motherboard support the ram you have but you need to contact GSkill about the setting you need to set up.

Since FX series processor support native bus for the RAM at 1866 above is OC, you need to ask GSkill support."

Comment

Well, these days, that's a typical response, they have numerous sets of DRAM on their QVL 1866 and above, the problem with that is they test these sets of sticks at the mobos default speed, which here I believe is 1600 - there a write up I just did over the weekend on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

One of the problems we are seeing with AMD FX CPUs, is that AMD originally (and till about Jan or so) advertised the FX CPUs as NATIVE 1866, which they aren't, after I went back and forth with them they changed the advertising to reflect these CPUs can run UP TO 1866 (albeit at 1 stick per channel -- 2 total), then they (AMD) dumps the support issue on the mobo makers, who in turn test at the mobo default, which here I believe is 1600 with the latest BIOS. So if you want to run faster they dump on the DRAM manufacturers.

I don't have the combo available, so I'll drop GSkill a note to take a look, they may have tested the combo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Post pictures of BIOS so we can see what's going on.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Will do when I get the chance.

Comment

We'll be waiting

Tman

Comment

I got 4 x G.Skill Ares 14900 4 GB 9-10-9-28 2N to run at 1866 MHz with my AMD FX-8350 and the ASRock 970 Extreme3 using the following settings (non of the two programmed XM profiles worked for me as the system wouldn't even boot):

tcl:9
                trcd: 10
                trp: 9
                tras: 28
                cr: 2T
                trc: 37
                twr: 16
                trfc: 160ns
                trrd: 6
                twtr: 7
                trtp: 7
                tfaw: 26
                tcwl: 9

Additionally I raised the CPU NB voltage from 1,145V auf 1,25V as it was suggested by G.Skill here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...me-gskill-help

I havent had any crashes since I set it like that even though I tried to stress my machine quite hard.

Comment

Very good! Glad to hear it!

Tman

Comment

That did the trick. I was only off a little on the voltage and the TCL. Thank you!

Comment

Good to go, have fun!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X