GSkill 2133 memory issues with ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSkill 2133 memory issues with ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard

I recently purchased an ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard, GSkill F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR RAM(2133), and AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz CPU.

I'm having issues getting the RAM to run faster than 1600.

Trying to run it with the BIOS set to 2133 hangs the BIOS and 1866 gives a BSOD during boot.

Updated the BIOS, monkeyed with the settings and voltages to no avail. I haven't figured out how to set the CPU/NB yet. (I'm still learning, and the ASRock BIOS isn't the most intuitive.)

I have also read the stickies here.

Any suggestions?

The 8150 is rated for UP TO 1866 at 1 stick per channel (2 total). Some have gotten 4 sticks to work, but not a lot of folks. With your set, @ 1866 I try it with the stock timings, add + .05 to the DRAM voltage and prob at least .1 to the CPU/NB to start and then try and work from there and let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I will give that a shot. Thanks.

Comment

No problem, let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tried with the frequency set to 1600 and the voltages you recommended in this thread and it won't budge.

Upped the frequency to 1866 and it still gives the BSOD.

I'm wondering if I missed something or am doing something wrong.

Comment

What settings are you using for 1600 (timings, voltages, CPU bus, NB freq, etc)?

Tman

Comment

I'm using the timings listed for the RAM in the specs. (9-11-10-28 1.65v) (altered that to 1.75v after reading your suggestion.)

Bus at 240, can't remember the NB frequency offhand.

Comment

Found this note tucked away in an out of the way area of the ASRock web site:

"Note7: AMD FX series CPU on this motherboard support up to DDR3 1866MHz as its standard memory frequency." (Referring to the 970 Extreme3.)

Comment

You said you have the latest BIOS, might try set DRAM freq to 1866, timings 9-10-9-28 2N leave at 1.65 for DRAM and CPU/NB 1.24

Tman

Comment

Hmmm... Timing in the BIOS only has 1T and 2T options. No 2N, unfortunately.

Comment

2T is the same as 2N

Comment

Thanx, Wildman, it used to be AMD used the N designator and Intel used the T, these days it jumps back and forth between manufacturers and even with the same manufacturers lines, Ive seen them use both T and N on Intel mobos and same on AMD - may have to do with which programmers or programming teams do an individual BIOS or upgrade, have even seen mobos come out using the T and in a future BIOS update use the N.

Tman

Comment

Oh LOL...

I DID mention I am new to this, right?

I'll try those settings and post my results.

Comment

Unfortunately it was a no go.

Blue screen during Windows 7 load.

Comment

I left the other settings but turned the frequency down to 1600 and it works okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X