I am dying here guys! Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 GSKILL 1866 16gb ram issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am dying here guys! Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 GSKILL 1866 16gb ram issues

I have been all over your site forums for 3 hours now. I am in desperate need!!

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-UD3
    CPU: Zambezi AMD 4100 @ 3.6Ghz
    RAM: F3-14900CL9Q-16gbxl Ripjaws 1866 (4x4)

No matter what I have tried based on several forum posts tonight, I cannot get my system to see my ram at 1866 properly. It has to be something too simple I am completely missing. I used the AMD CPU + 1600 guide and it would not set taking the DRAM to 9.33 OR setting it on auto for 1866. It would crash and go back to 1333. I had 1600 of same ram in my system for the last 3 months and once I set it to go to 1600, the system fired right up and ran just fine.

I have upgraded my BIOS on the motherboard tonight as well to make sure it has most current information. I feel like an idiot here.

If someone can give me a straight shot of instructions to get my MB settings correct, I would be indebted and happily. It is set at PC3-12800 at the moment per CPU-Z's last check. I have tried manual settings of DRAM 9.33 timing 9-10-9-28 as the specs for the ram state and tried auto voltage then voltage at 1.6 ( 0.10 + added for 1.5v) to see if it would help and still kept getting a message that the bios was being updated and it would never boot to windows....

Save me here guys.... PLEASE! It seems terrible to spend the xtra $$ to get to 1866 and it not work when 1600 worked flawlessly 4 hours ago!

May have to raise your CPU/NB about .05, if that doesn't help could you post your current BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If you can tell me what you need to see in the BIOS and how to best get it delivered here (newbie here I am sorry)....... Right now its auto 1600 (800) auto dram timing cpu is still set at 200 for 3.4ghz normal... can you tell me what I should try and I will... then I will report back if it worked....

Comment

What is this message that the BIOS is being updated, earlier you said that you had updated the BIOS, almost sounds like the flash didn't work. Try booting with a single stick in slot 1 closest to the CPU, then if you can get to the BIOS can either take pictures of the screens or jot down the DRAM info, frequencies and voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I am interested as well. I don't even have an option for the 933. under the auto settings. I am running a phenom ii 960 unlocked to a six core. I am running stable at 1600 speed with a set of F3-2133C11Q-16GAO. I would like to try to get to them up to 2000. That's is what the MB is able to OC up to. Supposed to. Someone on the Newegg review says they are running a 6 core phenom ii at 4.2 ghz with ram running at 2100. I know you have to take newegg reviews with a grain of salt though. I haven't played around with my setting that normally stays at 200. but I have my NB running at 2800
          gigabyte 990fxa ud3 rev 1.1
          AMD 960t unlocked to 6 core @ 3.8ghz
          Gskill Ares F3-2133C11Q-16GAO 16gb 4 x 4
          HIS 6950
          OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
          Seasonic plat 860

Comment

(Many grains of salt ), with a 960 I'd say 4x4 1600 is pretty good. I got an 8150 up to 2000 with 4x4GB, but it was rather hot, even at 1866 it was warmer than I'd like.....One thing on the Egg reviews, many of those folks put the sticks in (especially the higher freq sets) and things work fine, but for many, the DRAM is on auto, so it loaded at 1333 or 1600 and they don't know any better, then there are many that say they are running at whatever, knowing they aren't. Don't know what mobo you have, but need to keep in mind some of the advertising is based on the capabilities of the chipset, and as far as testing goes for the QVL is done with the most powerful CPU available, as doesn't necessarily mean all slots populated, in fact many AMD mobos rated to 2000 or to 2133 were often tested with say an 8150 and 2x1 or 2x2GB sets of DRAM.....something to try sometime - if they adverise say a 4x4GB set of 2000 or 2133, send them an email and ask what CPU and what BIOS settings they used (timings, voltages, etc), 9 times out of 10 they won't provide any info - and think about it, they should have all of it documented if they did it.

Tman

Comment

I have my timings running at 9 9 9 27 36 2t. so that actually maybe pretty tight for 4 sticks at 1600 when they are set at 11 something stock. Thats kinda the reason I got a higher speed kit. Run slower tighter timings. That is correct in my thinking right.

And yes your correct about newegg reviews.
              HIS 6950
              OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
              Seasonic plat 860

Comment

The stars have to align just right to run your RAM that fast on an AMD platform, and typically the limiting factor will be the CPU memory controller (CPU-NB). Try raising CPU-NB voltage. Try looser timings like 9-11-10-28-38...even CL10. It's difficult enough for 4x4GB to post on a Phenom II at higher than 1333 so if you are rocking 1600 I'd just work on getting timings down and raising CPU-NB frequency since that helps a lot with AM3 CPUs.
                AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

@damric I am having no trouble. I would just like to get them higher. 1600 is working fine. I would like to get the memory controller up to 3000 which is where I think the chip is capable of doing. not sure. no worries and not trying to highjack the OP thread.
                  HIS 6950
                  OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
                  Seasonic plat 860

Comment

Originally posted by chemojay View Post
                    @damric I am having no trouble. I would just like to get them higher. 1600 is working fine. I would like to get the memory controller up to 3000 which is where I think the chip is capable of doing. not sure. no worries and not trying to highjack the OP thread.
                    If I recall correctly, I had to use around 1.35-1.4v on my CPU-NB to stabilize 3GHZ on the memory controller. Try extra juice!
                    AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Well here is where I am at for now. fixing to try to get the cpu back to around 3.8. Then I may do some math and try to get the nb to 3ghz and get the memory to the boards maximum stated ddr3-2000 ram speed. trying to figure out how to get the ram math done.

3.6ghz
                      233 bus speed
                      15.5 cpu multi
                      2800 cpu-nb
                      932MHz on 16gb ram 4 sticks. 9 10 9 28 38 2T
                      HIS 6950
                      OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
                      Seasonic plat 860

Comment

Update
                        3.62GHz
                        14.5 multi
                        250 bus speed
                        ht link 2749
                        nb 2999
                        16gb 4 sticks 1000MHZ 10 10 10 28 38
                        gonna see how it does.
                        HIS 6950
                        OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
                        Seasonic plat 860

Comment

Keep an eye on temps, not sure what voltages you're running

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                            Keep an eye on temps, not sure what voltages you're running
                            I am running 1.6v on the ram
                            running 1.3v on the cpu-nb
                            running 1.375 on the cpu
                            HIS 6950
                            OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
                            Seasonic plat 860

Comment

If temps are OK and it's needed, could raise CPU/NB a little more

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X