No announcement yet.

I am dying here guys! Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 GSKILL 1866 16gb ram issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why I would need to at this point. This thing is sailing smooth at 3.8GHZ and RAM speed at ddr3-2000 speeds. Isn't 3GHz on the cpu-nb max? Think I could get the ram to the actual 2133 speed? I am kinda happy where I am with mem speed and cpu-nb speed. I might try going to 4GHz on the cpu. Its pretty smoking right now. Speed wise. Especially running 4 sticks.

What do you think?
    gigabyte 990fxa ud3 rev 1.1
    AMD 960t unlocked to 6 core @ 3.8ghz
    Gskill Ares F3-2133C11Q-16GAO 16gb 4 x 4
    HIS 6950
    OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
    Seasonic plat 860

Comment

Go for it.

I could actually do almost 3200 on my nb, but I was temperature limited on my 1090T. It's pretty rare to get much higher than that without going under a real water loop.

Is there any reason you are running your HT Link at 2800? I'm just curious, because most people had worse performance with Phenom II when they got far away from 2000 HT Link.

Be sure to post your MaxxMem score in the the thread I made so we can see the results of your labor.

I've totally reached a brick wall on my own current rig. I can raise my HT reference two ticks to 252 and I become unstable, so I sit at HT 250 with my RAM at 2000. My CPU/Mobo just can't handle anymore.
      AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

to be honest I don't know why my ht link is that high. or what setting I messed with that made it that way. it seems to be running fine. But I would like to know what I should do to tame it back down. I may have the settings on auto.

And how do you guys/gals keep an eye on your temps? when you unlock the cpu doesn't report properly. I haven't found a program that tells you socket temp from the bios. I would like to go to a water block set up at least for the cpu.

Once again apologies to the OP but we are pretty much using the same board memory. just our cpu's are different. all this stuff I have talked and asked about should still pertain to your build also.
        Last edited by chemojay; 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM.
        HIS 6950
        OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
        Seasonic plat 860

Comment

Reference clock or CPU Host Frequency affects ALL frequencies, so that's why HT goes up too. HT Link, DRAM Freq, CPU-NB Freq, they are all multipliers. 250 x 8 DRAM, x11 HT, x 12 CPU-NB, etc. etc.

Real Temp program can show core temp. Look in the overclocking section!

Have a good weekend!

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

so I should change my ht link multiplier? to get it back to around 2000?
            HIS 6950
            OCZ SSD 120gb WIN7
            Seasonic plat 860

Comment

No, HT is fine, or you can test both to see which is better.

If you can, post results in overclocking section.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X