Memory Problems with AMD CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Problems with AMD CPU

So I have 2 sticks of 2 Gb DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ram, an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard, and an AMD Phenom 2 2.8 GHz X6 1055T CPU. Ever since I built this computer 2 years ago, the memory controllers of all the CPU's i've went through have been getting toasted. After the first CPU (an X4 Phenom 2 Black Edition) was destroyed, AMD told me that the ram I had was too fast for the cpu and told me to downclock it to 1333 MHz. After they sent the replacement, I figured the mobo would downclock it if I set the speed to AUTO in the Bios. Of course I was wrong and another cpu was destroyed. So now I just got the six core a few weeks ago, set the Ram speed to 1333 MHz and expected problem free operation. But not 2 weeks later, my memory controller is destroyed again and my OS corrupted. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?? Everyone I've talked to didn't know such a problem even existed. I'm a student so I don't have the money or the patience to keep replacing CPU's until i find a solution. I'm considering just switching motherboard models or buying different ram or something if I can't find a solid solution that doesn't involve me getting bent over for another $150 on a new cpu. Does anyone have a guaranteed solution? I just saw the post about recommended settings for DDR3 1600 Ram and AMD CPU's, but I'm hoping someone can verify that this has actually worked for them if you have had similar problems. Thanks.

There's a thread for setting up 1600 on AMD here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

But if set up correctly, the 1055T should handle 1600 easily, sounds like there may be a problem with the mobo sending the wrong voltage to the CPU, or the CPU/NB voltage is just to high. The memory itself doesn't send any voltage, and after even 2 CPUs I'd look at the mobo.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply T-man. So what would be a good voltage/ CPU/NB voltage to set it at? And assuming the motherboard isn't the issue, have there been problems with AMD CPU's and other Ram frequencies? If not, I think I'd rather just buy new ram at a different frequency altogether instead of taking the chance of burning up another expensive CPU.

Comment

Keep the DRAM at stock voltage and I'd say 1.2 would be about the max you'll need for CPU/NB voltage. As I had said, your CPU shouldn't have a problem w/ 1600, if it were say a 955 or lesser CPU, then that's where you start getting into extreme voltage that can damage things. Another option would be to manually drop to say, 1333, and tighten the timings, i.e. if your set is spec at 9-9-9-24, then at 1333 you'd run 8-8-8-24 and performance would be near the same as 1600 native.
        Last edited by Tradesman; 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X