G.SKILL TECH FORUM

Go Back   G.SKILL TECH FORUM ? Product Discussion ? DDR3

DDR3 Looking for help with DDR3 memory? Post a thread in here

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Administrator

GSKILL TECH has disabled reputation
Default AMD CPU + G.Skill DDR3-1600

If you have an AMD Phenom II CPU motherboard combo, and DDR3-1600 memory, the system BIOS should be configured as follows:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
[Non-Black Edition CPU]

Method #1

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
[Black Edition CPU]

Method #2

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600

2. Set CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz (DDR3-1600 / 2 = 800MHz, then x 3) CPU-NB Frequency should always be 3X DRAM bus frequency

3. Set HT Link Frequency to 2400MHz

4. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

6. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

There are many different motherboards and memory, but they require the same changes. If you are unsure of what to change, refer to your motherboard user's manual. It will have more information about each option and its purpose.

If the system is slightly unstable, you may need to raise CPU-NB Voltage. This is the memory controller voltage, so raising this voltage can help with stability. Also, if you are using full slots or attempting any overclocking, raising this voltage can also help with stability.

Once these changes are made in BIOS, your system should be stable. For memory above the standard, majority of the time AUTO default settings will not work, so these settings are required for a perfectly stable system. Recently we have noticed that without manually setting DRAM Voltage, it can cause stability issues.

If you continue to have problems, you can also attempt DDR3-1333 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.50V. These are good settings if you can not get DDR3-1600 to work. These are fail-proof settings to test the memory and make sure they are working properly. If the memory does not work with these settings, it is possible that your memory kit is bad.

As always, we can assist if you have any difficulties, so feel free to create a post.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 11-19-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 PM

solar is reading into overclocking

I do agree with this.

And sigh.. I am more venting some thoughts here.. as I am experiencing this..(ironically I am a very very anti M$ kind of bloke normally ;p) but I can't help but feelign perplexed by this:

stable under all the necessary tests and as a 24/7 system about to go out to customer it has been as expected , no bsod's no erratic behaviour (bar the expected issues with CCC and sleep/hibernation in windows).

4.1 on air , cores @ sub 20 during winter time here with no extra fans in case, and only during torture tests during OC phase, did I hit 40s..

BUT that silly WEI still only gives my RAM 5.9 in the score... ripjaws running at
1600 MHz @ 1.64 V , CL8.. why on earth is it not in the 6.X at least lol... I know some others have had even 7.2 I believe with these.. seriously... is there something I am missing? :/

I run the cpu-nb @ 2.8 GHz! (HT ~ 1.9 GHz). .. what .. am I really losing that much on HT boost to stability? I mean , I do not really want to risk any loss in stability as that is what I do for a living (custom solutions often with OC guarantees) but since this is my first g-skill kit (and as I experessed I love their *stability*) I still am getting a tad perplexed on the score... it doesn't look good when that is the limiting factor :/ (well also the HD 3300 when I remove the dedicated gfx but you get my point).

On the memmaxx2 test thing on high priority I get copy: 14ish GB, read 10.8ish, 9.3ish write and erm 50ish latency and about 10ish GB on 'score'

sigh.. any ideas , thoughts, explanations with regards to the WEI?

I personally didn't give a rat's ar*e but kinda looks silly when I forgot about this and told the customer it's 6.9 earlier lol
Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Smile

oops, couldn't edit... but ye.. 1600 MHZ being 240 x 10:3
Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Senryu is reading into overclocking

Hi all

I'm intentioned to buy the MSI 890FXA-GD70 with 16GB of this ram: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=357

There is no issue with this combination of components right? I want to overclock a 1100T to almost 4 Ghz (If I can 4,4/4,5Ghz).
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Administrator

GSKILL TECH has disabled reputation

solar,
you only have 4GB? If you have low available physical memory, it can show a low WEI.

Senryu,
No problem, but I would suggest the 16GB kit instead of two 8GB kits to avoid possible compatibility problems.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

The new G.Skill Overclocking Section!

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM

kortopi is reading into overclocking

what is the allowed max voltage in this memor coz my board dont have exact volt of 1.5v its 1.54v?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM

Yes, only got 4 GB on this computer. But will soon build one for me, and I definintely need an 8'er hehe

4 is nice but wayy too little these days with VM's. Games ain't so important any longer now that we are 'old men'
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 AM

Again, sorry.. didn't notice edit has gone.

Well, it is a base installation of a Windows 7 system with about 1.5 GB of 4 in use.. I mean.. come on, how is that 'little memory left'?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 AM

eg. [Running ~ 1.65 GB of RAM ]when testing, but even on base install similar

Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 AM

Senryu is reading into overclocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
Senryu,
No problem, but I would suggest the 16GB kit instead of two 8GB kits to avoid possible compatibility problems.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH
Thank you!! Awesome support from G Skill (the opposite of the italian MSI Forum xD) I'm going to buy this ram ;D