No announcement yet.

Windows won't start with Gigabyte Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, also you can go to your profile, make an album and upload there from your system

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Never thought it was going to be this tough adding 16gb to my computer. Created a album and started uploading photos and then another problem....

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webadmin@kundenserver.de and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I will look for free hosting site just to get screenshots up in this thread.

Comment

I'm going to drop GSkill Tech a line to take a look, your pics show most at AUTO so prob on defaults, in the meantime, let's try enable XMP and set the profile to 1600, then check the base timings and ensure they are at 10-10-10-30, CR (Command Rate) is at 2, especially since it shows 1 in AUTO, DRAM Voltage 1.55, QPI/VTT 1.16, make sure Memory Freq is showing 1600, then in the advanced timings, tRFC 208 and then before you try the boot to OS get a pic of what XMP sets the other advanced timings to, what shows in you pic looks more like the timings for an 8 GB set as opposed to 16GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman! I will go through settings again that you suggested and take pics before I reboot and post the results when I get back home tonight from work.

Comment

So what I was able to figure out this evening is as follows:

1) my screenshots posted previously were with the original 4gb in it. The motherboard manual says that xmp is available if the memory supports it. With my 4gb original in there xmp is an option. With the 2 8gb gskill memory xmp doesn't show up as an option.

2) Screenshots from tonight
            http://i46.tinypic.com/11khwlz.jpg
            http://i48.tinypic.com/2h320rr.jpg
            http://i47.tinypic.com/5kfxuu.jpg
            http://i49.tinypic.com/10za7sz.jpg[
            http://i45.tinypic.com/33u8q3d.jpg

Sorry couple are blurrly but I think the info that needs to be seen is still readable or I hope.

3) With the 2 8gb sticks in the computer I was able to
            - change the base timings to 10-10-10-30
            - change command rate to 2
            - change tRFC to 208
            - change dram voltable to 1.60 (1.55 was not an option)
            - change QPI/VTT to 1.17 (it skipped over 1.16 as an option)
            - I was not able to change the memory frequency above 1333

and the final result with the above is that it still did the exact same thing loading windows screen just stays there forever. Hope this is enought information from tonights battle with getting this computer to see the 16gb of gskill memory.

Thanks

Comment

Just taking a look at things and have a feeling the entire set of memory timings is going to have to entered manually....GB says the mobo supports 8 GB sticks, but I just checked the BIOS availability and the latest update is F# from Sep of 2010, so am guessing they don't even have support for 8 GB sticks. Might send them an email and ask....I haven't worked with that particular mobo, but I'll check with the folks I network with and see if I can come up with a set of timings that might work, if not we may have to wait till Monday for GSkill

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman! Appreciate all the assistance. I did open a ticket with gigabyte and just yesterday got back and responded in reply by email

Dear Customer.

If you attempt to reduce one of the module and test with only one installed do you see the same issue or only when both modules are installed?

I replied asking if this board really supports 8gb sticks and the other information included here as to what the problem is. I'll see if they reply back.

Comment

To a degree it makes some sense, they are probably thinking test each stick w/ mamtest to see if either is bad, if one tests fine and the other No, with the same settings, then prob a bad stick, but if both test fine individually or both test bad, then it's probably in how the mobo sets the advanced timings as the problem.....think I have a mobo lined up and am going to drop some sticks and run some test with it, will be back in the easy PM today

Tman

Comment

I should have put the results of that test in my last post also. I put each 8gb stick into first slot one at a time and got the same results each time (this is with the settings changed as previously posted in the bios and again setting bios settings back to fail safe defaults) the bios screen would hit memory and say ok and then immediately reboot. I cannot boot into anything thing to run a memtest or anything.

Is this an indication that both sticks are bad? But interesting when they're both in there together it goes into the loading part of the os at least.

Comment

might try

tRC 30
                      tRRD 5
                      tWTR 6
                      tWR 12
                      tRTP 6
                      tRFC 171
                      tFAW 22

Tman

Comment

Well this situation has turned into a disaster. With all the swapping of memory back into my main computer (writing this from a laptop from work) I pushed too hard on the heat sink of one of the original 2gb sticks and rip'd it off. Now putting it back in and turning on the computer it just beeps really fast for a couple of seconds and reboots!!! Argh I wrecked the original working memory and can't get the new 16gb working.

I wish I knew if it's bad memory, this motherboard really can't handle 16gb or what but now I sit here on sunday broke without money to buy some new components and without my main computer too boot. ha ha

Thanks Tradesman! Really appreciate all the help!! I'm returning this memory and will think what to do next.

Comment

oh almost forgot Tradesman I did try you're last suggestion of settings and same thing still happened hanging on booting into windows. Thanks again t-man!

Comment

I'm just frustrated with this memory situation. I do have a working computer with the one 2gb stick in place. Just sucks that I'm down to 2gb. I'm no memory expert by any means and have always stuck in dual memory sticks in my machines.

If my computer is trying to boot with 2 8gb sticks in place (where it's loading windows at least trying) but when I put in just one 8gb stick in it and it continually reboots after posting is that just a indication of bad memory? I wish I had some other 8gb memory around to try them out.

Comment

I'll drop GSkill a note to take a look when they get to the forums on Monday, it may be the BIOS hasn't even been set up for 8GB sticks yet, but GSkill may have more info on your particular mobo

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X