Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.skill Sniper 2 x 4gb BIOS settings issue (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.skill Sniper 2 x 4gb BIOS settings issue (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR)

Hello,

I recently bought a 2 x 4gb kit of ram, http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7650

After installing these into my PC i booted it up and it subsequently crashed, I then googled my problem which left me reading about frequecy, timings,voltages etc.

A link then led me here http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688.

After reading this I decided to give it a go, so I booted into my BIOS, I was able to change the timings to 9-9-9-24 2T, but when it came to the Memory frequency I encounted an issue, the tutorial in the link above says to "1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600. " and I am not able to find this setting anywhere in my bios, neither am I able to put the CPU-NB frequency at 2400 hz as it can only go to a maximun of 2000. And just to top it off I am unable to locate the CPU-NB Voltage.

Could someone please help me sort this out
    Thanks in advance

PC -

Mobo - Asus M5A78L-M LX
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 840
    Graphics card - AMD Radeon HD 6950

Will want to see if you have the latest BIOS, but don't think your CPU can run 1600 DRAM
    Last edited by Tradesman; 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Bios is up to date.

Are you saying that the maximun frequency of ram I can have is 800 ?

Thanks

Comment

May want to research or just try different things, generally I recommend at least a 965 rev 3C for 1600 sticks, but have seen where people with lesser CPUs have run 1600 either 8 or 16GB...some also depends on the CPU, you can at times take 4 of the same exact model and on the same system they may run a set of sticks and another of the CPUs won't

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alright,

I have the sticks running in my pc and they have been stable for atleast 5 hours, this still brings me back to my original post,

In the BIOS I chose 533 for the Memory Frequency, as its DDr3 I mulitply it by 3 (533 x 3 = 1599<1600) Is this correct?

I can not find anything to help me with my BIOS settings.

Thanks mate

I aprrectiate it

Comment

Negative, it's still figured as x 2, since it's DOUBLE Data Rate RAM, the DDR3 vs DDR2 is for 3rd generation of Double Data Rate, so if set at 533 your running 1066, 1600 will be 800 in BIOS or 1333 will show as 666 or 667

Tman

Comment

Ah, understood, so with the memory clock set at 800 I should have the CPU-NB frequency at 2400, which I cant do because the max value is 2000, or does the same rule apply? So it should be 1200?.

Sorry for the noob questions

Thanks

Comment

Can also try it this way if you can't get 2400

1. Set DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333.

2. Set CPU Host/Bus Frequency to 240 (this will overclock the memory frequency to DDR3-1600)

2a. Raising the bus frequency will also overclock the CPU, so if you do not want this, you will need to lower CPU Ratio to your desired frequency. If you do want to keep it, you may need to raise CPU VCore to stabilize the overclock. If you have a Black Edition CPU, then it should be capable of the overclock without any voltage adjustments, but for non-BE's most likely you will need to raise CPU VCore.

3. Set timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24, or whatever your memory is rated for.

4. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.50V, or whatever your memory is rated for.

5. Most CPUs will need a CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V, so if your default is 1.10V, set it to 1.20V.

Tman

Comment

Hey,

I was unable to find the CPU Host/Bus Frequency in my BIOS, what other names might it be under?

Thanks, sorry, like I said my BIOS is different to most others :L

Comment

Think you need to OverClock the CPU manually to raise things, in the Advanced Menu

Comment

Hey,

Well after finding thats thanks to RamJam I adjusted the things listed, unfortunatley I got a Overclocking error and could not boot to OS, I tried different combinations but it just wasnt happening.

I think ill just stay on what its on now, although underclocked atleast it is stable.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Might keep your eyes open, maybe somebody out there has had success with the combo

Tman

Comment

It can be a little tricky for that motherboard/CPU combo

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V will probably be your best settings.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X