• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB DDR3-1600 & Bootmanger issues.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE C3
    Motherboard: GA-890GPA-UD3H (rev. 2.0)
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

I bought this RAM kit because I was currently using 2 4GB kits; not from the same batch- Nov2010 & Jan2011, and wanted to run them at 1600Mhz.
    I placed them into the furthest RAM slots from the CPU to get them up to the 1600Mhz rated speed as indicated by my motherboard.
    Used METHOD 2 as stated in THIS thread, restarted PC and everything seemed to be moving smoothly.
    Managed to check CPU-z and it was showing them at the speeds I wanted, sadly I forgot to screenshot it or use SuperPI to run a quick benchmark test.

Well I had it idling for well over 30mins and had no crashes or anything of the such, I then went on to play Batman Arkam City for a number of hours yet again without any problems.
    When I decided to call it for the night I set to do some torrenting overnight.
    When I woke in the morning I was greeted with a black screen; well it was a BSOD but for some reason my PC doesn't like BSODS and the monitor turning itself off with power saving features.

I restarted my PC and was then faced with Bootmanger troubles.
    Windows wouldn't repair itself, I couldn't load from the DVD to do a Repair Install or use a UBCD Thumbdrive to access a DOS prompt to repair the MBR which it was stating was missing or corrupted.

0xc0000428
    0xc0000225
    0xc0000098 - ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt
    0xc0000001 - winload.exe missing or corrupt

These are the Bootmanager errors that showed up.

What would happen is that it would say that it is Loading Windows then the Bootmanger would showup stating one of the above errors and to load the Windows DVD to do a Repair yet it would still do the same even with the DVD in the drive and set as the 1st Boot Device.
    When I did try to load the DVD it would show the screen where it says it's Loading Windows Files then get to the end and restart the PC, no mater what option I chose it would always restart the PC and continue in that fashion in a never ending cycle.

I spent all day trying to find ways to repair the MBR that I forgot that I had put in new hardware; RAM and Asus Xonar DG, to bother to think that they might be the cause.

I went with the most logical choice and removed the new RAM sticks and placed my old RAM back in and it instantly loaded up the Startup Repair function, repaired whatever problem it had and loaded back into Windows.

I made sure before buying this RAM to check it's specifications and see if it would play nice with my motherboard and was certain that it would.

I used the EXACT steps outlined in Method 2 and yet came across this very stressing error.

Is this RAM faulty or is there another possible resolve to it that doesn't involve me sending it back to place of purchase.

NB.
    DRAM Freq to DDR3-1600
    CPU-NB Freq to 2400MHz
    Timings to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24
    DRAM Voltage to 1.50V. (This was the default value in my BIOS)
    CPU-NB Voltage boost of +0.10V to 1.20V. (My default value here was also 1.10V

As a final before taking the RAM out I reset the BIOS settings and left the RAM settings on AUTO but it still wouldn't get past the Bootmanager problems.

Currently using my old RAM on AUTO settings. Not going to mess with BIOS settings atm unless it's for the new RAM kit I bought.

Your 955 may not be able to fully carry 1600 sticks, normally suggest a min of 965 C3, might overcome it by raising DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltage a bit higher and then testing it. Another alternative is to drop to 1333 and tighten timings to CL8

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I tried raising the DRAM Voltage higher than 1.50V, & the CPU-NB higher than 1.20V and it still didn't work.
      Upon restarting after exiting the BIOS I would get 2 long beeps then it would continue to load it and just before POST it would show a little screen saying that the system has crashed due to a bad overclock. This is the same screen I would get no matter what settings I changed, if left all on AUTO it would get past POST fine but would not load Windows and start coming up with Bootmanager issues.

I'm currently using only 1 of my old G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ kits because I know they work.
      They are both in the White slots on the motherboard so they can be run at 1600Mhz and the BIOS settings are set as to the directions of Method 2 in the pinned thread.

Since I can't even seem to run the new 8GB kit at 1333Mhz 8-8-8-24 is it possible the RAM kit is faulty because my old 4GB kits are both 1600Mhz and both can be run at that speed; not both together but if they are separately placed into the White slots on the motherboard.

Just to clarify something before you answer.
      When you stated to:
      might overcome it by raising DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltage a bit higher and then testing it
      Did you mean to raise the CPU Voltage and/or NB Voltage or the CPU-NB Voltage as indicated by the bolded part of the quote?
      I want to be absolutely sure before RMA'ing it as I only changed the DRAM and CPU-NB Voltages.

Comment

Yes, the CPU/NB (together) voltage, this is what controls the voltage to the MC (Memory Controller) that is in your CPU, DRAM voltage is separate and was also mentioned.....the primary voltage for the CPU itself is generally the vCore voltage, which is generally fine on AUTO except for fine tuning when OCing

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? They should work with the DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 settings, so test one at a time to see if one may be bad causing problems. If so, send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Currently running with the latest non-beta BIOS.

CPU NorthBridge Frequency : x12 (2400Mhz)
            Memory Clock : x8 (1600Mhz)
            Timings : 9-9-9-24-2T
            Voltages :
            - CPU PLL Voltage Control : 2.500V (Normal)
            - DRAM Voltage Control : 1.500V (1.500V)
            x DDR VTT Voltage Control : 0.750V (Normal) [Greyed out when modifying DRAM Voltage Control]
            - NB Voltage Control : 1.300V (Normal)
            - SidePort Mem Voltage Control : 1.600V (Normal)
            - NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control : 1.800V (Normal)
            - CPU-NB VID Control : +0.100V (1.2000V)
            - CPU Voltage Control : (Normal)
            Normal CPU Vcore : 1.3250V

*Bolded parts are what I modified in the voltages area due to Method 2 in the AMD CPU + 1600 RAM thread.
            The above are the settings in my BIOS currently that work with my G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ yet cause problems with my new G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB

I fully intend to test 1 stick at a time but first I want to clarify more what Tradesman said as I still not 100% sure what settings to change.
            Which of the above settings should I increase when you talk about CPU/NB Voltages to possibly stablise it?

Comment

- CPU-NB VID Control : +0.100V (1.2000V)

Looks like you covered most of the important steps.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Do I need to raise the CPU-NB VID Control more to help get the new kit working as my CPU-NB VID Control is already on 1.200V from it's default of 1.100V.

Comment

Could try taking it up in small increments

Tman

Comment

So I tried increasing the CPU-NB VID Control up a notch at a time and just after it said it was Loading Windows I got a BSOD with the code:

0x0000009A - SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION

MSDN say "Change Notify on SystemPrefix failed."

Other google searches suggest a re-install or repair install may fix it or running CHKDSK to fix any errors on the system drive.

I run an OEM version of W7 64bit Home Premium but from what I remember the OEM is only tied to the motherboard, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Comment

I'd try CHKDSK /R first, can get to it by turning system on and after you see the BIOS flash screen start slowly tapping the F8 key which should take you into the SAFE MODE menu, select safe mode with command prompt, and type CHKDSK /R then hit enter - it takes awhile depending on the drive size and amount of data you have (maybe hours) or try the repair from the install DVD (will need your lic #)

Tman

Comment

1.20V should be sufficient for full slots of DDR3-1600.

Post some BIOS pictures or advanced timings so we can see if anything is causing instability.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Been awhile since I last replied, got busy at work.
                          But since then I've tried them in 2 other PCs and both produced the same BSOD codes and automatic restarting and none of the 3 machines in my house would even work on the "safemode" 1333Mhz 8-8-8-24 settings.

I've decided I'm going to RMA them instead of continue to try other futile options.

Comment

Well, let us know how it goes when you get the replacements.

Tman

Comment

Haven't replied to this in awhile because I've been too busy at work but I got an RMA number assigned to me on 26/12/11 and was wondering how long it last for without an item being sent.
                              Been so busy to send the item in for RMA that I don't want to send it off tomorrow and find out the RMA number is no longer valid.

Comment

Working...
                              X