Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL work with ASUS M5A97?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL work with ASUS M5A97?

Just wondering if these two types of memory will work with the ASUS M5A97:

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Either set will work with the mobo, but you'll need to do your research and get a CPU that can run sticks at those frequencies

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah I'm getting the FX-6100 and I know Zambezi supports up to 1866.

Thanks.

Comment

No problem, let us know how the build goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Nothing but RAM trouble

I've been fighting with an Asus M5A97 mb with G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL all day. (AMD 1090T Phenom II x6 3.2GHz w/ 9MB Cache)
          It appears that things work fine then Windows BSOD's seemingly randomly.
          (I am using a custom Win7 Pro x64 SP1 image for several pc's of the same hardware - I have been using Kingston RAM without issue and this was the first time I've ordered G.Skill product)
          Of course MemTest86+ (v4.2) says all is well (and then some)
          I am about to use the FAQ AMD CPU's and RAM Settings Readme I discovered on this site (I hope this will make life much easier)

If it matters the M5A97 by default wants to treat this as 1333 RAM - BSOD's - OK, so I set it for 1600 - BSOD, I read on ASUS's site that switching from the preferred A2/B2 mem slots to A1/B1 may correct some memory issues. (didn't do anything for me)
          I also notice that at 1600 (auto) the memory comes up on Memtest 86+ as 9-11-9-27 (which isn't the case according to my insert--should be 9-9-9-24!)
          I have now hard coded these settings and now come up to 9-9-9-24 in Memtest as I'd expect.
          I haven't touched the other 10 or more settings which affect RAM - I can remember the old days when RAM used to simply work! (and you knew it was the wrong RAM when it wouldn't fit in the slot *lol*)

Anyone have any experience in this exact combo?
          I'll report back how this works...

(added)
          Nope changing to hard-coded memory timings did not fix the problem - at least this time the error points to the memory directly - Stop 0x1A Memory_Management)

I'm going to read the FAQ mentioned above and follow that to see if it fixes my problems...

Snuggs
          Last edited by Snuggs; 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM. Reason: adding information to better clarify

Comment

Check the sticky here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

AMD CPU's have weak MCs and anything over 1333 have to be set up manually, the mobo defaults to 1333 which is why it's doing that, and you'll want to ensure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo

Tman

Comment

doing just that...

Thanks!!!

The method 2 seems to apply to this motherboard exactly!
              I am in the process of re-imaging this machine and will report back the results
              Also will play with Asus' suggestion to switch A1/B1 and A2/B2 to see if it will change outcomes.

Stay tuned...and thanks again for the FAQ I'm ....hopeful

Snuggs

well I'll be!!! It worked!!! been on solid for a few hours now and not a single problem!!!
              Thanks again for the well written FAQ - I'll keep this in mind in future for this mobo
              Last edited by Snuggs; 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Glad it worked out...........and always keep it in mind...it doesn't only apply to your mobo, this is true with all AMD CPUs (excluding Zambezi CPUs) and 1600 and up DRAM..it needs to be set up manually and gets harder the higher you go (i.e. 1866, 2000, etc)

Tman

Comment

Ok guys, I'm back and my build is:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=21745687

I just moved my 200 GB WD HD over from the old computer but I know it works fine.

I read through the sticky you just linked about memory but you say that Zambezi is the exception.

My problem is that it gets to the loading Windows 7 screen but just goes in a constant restart cycle after that. The MB auto set my 1866 ram to 1600 and timings to 11-11-11-28, should this work? I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it detected no problems.

I've never messed with RAM timings or anything of the sort so any help appreciated. Thanks.

edit: I've placed them into the A2/B2 slots if that matters.
                  Last edited by ashishduh; 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

At 1600 you'll prob want to change the timings to 8-9-8-26 2N 1.5, and check the CPU/NB voltage, may have to raise it a pinch, maybe +.03....keep then in the slots your in, and if still problems try the other slots

Tman

Comment

Still same problem no matter which set of slots I try it in. I tried 8-9-8-26 2N 1.5 and I added +.03125 to CPU/NB offset voltage for a total offset of 1.206V.

Maybe it's not the RAM that's causing Windows to crash on the splash screen? I'll try reformatting tomorrow and see what that does.

Thanks.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

Hi ashishduh,

I have the same build as you and I had the same problems as you. I spent the last 3 days of my holidays reading all G.Skill, Asus, Win 7, Ubuntu and WOW forums. After 100 different setups I found the cause, and now I have two stable systems Win 7 x64 and Ubuntu.

In the meantime I was suspicious of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL ( not on ASUS list) so I bought extra 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR (Still in post) - Good for G.Skill

My problem was that the CPU voltage was set as automatic in the BIOS, and the voltage dropped too low during some applications (calculation heavy programs) e.g. WOW or even on the system start, and the system freezes or reboots.
                          I put the voltage as 1.14V and it works excellent. If I the put voltage as 1.1V it crashes or freezes.

I hope this can help you.

Happy new year!

Crozard

Comment

Thanks for sharing, Crozard, your info should help some folks

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X