Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident 2133Mhz Not Running at Proper Speed

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=215
    As the title says. I bought this RAM ages ago, and gave up trying to get it to run at the proper 2133MHz.

I've been running it at 1333MHz (the default setting), b/c it doesn't want to boot properly otherwise.

Even when I use the XMP profile and use the supposedly proper voltages, it always fails to boot. Anyways I've taken screens of my BIOS to assist in getting this fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running a GIGABYTE P55A UD3 (which, I have noticed isn't on the supported mobos list )

Last edited by Brockavich; 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Which mobo do you have, ver 1 or ver 2? Also what CPU as 2133 is an OC speed?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I believe so... But I'll flash it just to be safe. And I'm not sure tbh, didn't know there was 2 versions. How would I check? Find my box? And Core i5 760 2.8Ghz

Comment

Should be printed on the mobo or on a sticker on the mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah it's a rev. 1. Imma flash the BIOS real quick.

Then I was hoping you guys could throw some ideas for voltages at me or something

Oh, and I checked Gigabyte's site for a list of supported ram... My stuff is on their list of supported ones
          Last edited by Brockavich; 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

With the latest BIOS, (hopefully) you should be able to enable XMP, select the 2133 profile and go from there, If anything further is needed, I would suggest up about .05 to the DRAM voltage and/or .05 up on the QPI/VTT

Tman

Comment

Well I flashed it... Tried to activate the profile... and no dice.

I guess I'll **** around with the voltages for a while. I should tell you though, I did that already years ago. Didn't work then. I went up and up and up until the voltages were "in the red" according to my BIOS. Still didn't boot.

But I'll try again. Is there some kind of target voltage I should aim for?

Comment

Use manual settings.

Keep Performance Enhance - Standard

QPI Voltage should be around 1.25V, but you will need to test and see what is best.

To make things a little easier, you can try one module at a time first, to make sure the modules are good and it is indeed a settings problem.

Feel free to post pictures of advanced timings and we can make sure they are being detected correctly.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Okay here's some voltage pics...

I'm going to try to get this thing to boot.

Is there any level of voltage where I should stop? For risk of frying my RAM?

Advanced Frequency Settings w/o XMP1

Advanced Frequency Settings with XMP1

Voltages
                  Last edited by Brockavich; 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Okay so I kept upping the voltages by the smallest increments my BIOS would allow.
                    I also disabled SpeedStep and other features that might interfere with clock settings.

In the end the QPI/VTT was nearly 1.6 and the DRAM was 1.9+. At that point it wouldn't boot anymore and I had to reset the CMOS manually.

At no point did I achieve any stability, and didn't reach even the Windows loading screen.

I would really like to get this stuff working before BF3 comes out, so any other ideas would be nice.

Thanks

Comment

Have you tried manual settings?

What about lower settings like DDR3-1866 or 2000, then working your way up?

Which slots do you have them installed in? They should be in the same colored slots furthest away from the CPU.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

By manual settings you mean what exactly?

There was a setting to adjust the "System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" by 6, 8, and 10. I didn't try the lower ones because I didn't but 2133 RAM to run it at 1800 or something, you know? But I can try them to see if I get anywhere anyways.

All 4 slots. First 4gb I had were in 1 and 3. Then I bought another 4gb and they went in 2 and 4.

Comment

Definitely try lower settings first to make sure the two kits can be compatible with each other. It is very possible the two kits can not match well enough to operate DDR3-2000 together in the same computer.

Manual settings means configuring the DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage without the XMP Profile.

If you only have System Memory Multiplier 10 max, that means you have the i5 CPU. That means you can not operate DDR3-2133 anyway because a BCLK 213 is necessary, and that is much too difficult for that CPU. An i7 is necessary because it has a 12 memory multiplier.

As a result, I would suggest trying something like BCLK 200. 200 x 12 = DDR3-2000

9-9-9-24 timings, then work your way down to see what the system can do with full slots.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sigh.. alright.

No I haven't tried to do it manually, as I was hoping XMP would simply work.

And yes, I said that in one of my first few posts. Core i5 760. And well that's just perfect...

Why exactly can't my Core i5 run them at full speed? I have never overclocked RAM, and the last time I overclocked my CPU was back on my E8400 Wolfdale. Much has changed since then

But I guess I'll shoot for 2000 first :/

Comment

There's times that you just can't get two separate sets of sticks to work, which may be the case here...chances are good that the BIOS just isn't set to accept the XMP settings from these sticks

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X