Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL + Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3: memtest86+ errors

Hello,

I'm having trouble with this particular combination of motherboard and memory:

Model of the motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 1.0) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod....aspx?pid=3894. BIOS version is F4.

Model of the memory: [ RipjawsX ] F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=378

Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban

I am getting intermittent errors in memtest86+ 4.20. Which tests produce errors varies and the addresses affected varies, but the error bits are always either 00000200 or 00000400. This suggests to me that it may be a compatibility issue with this motherboard, and I am hoping someone can either confirm this or provide an example of working timings and voltage, or make a suggestion that helps me to produce a working config.

I've tried several configurations, set manually as directed, including:

Method #2 from this thread: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688
    CPU NB VID: 1.250 V Clock: 2400 MHz
    DRAM: 1.500 V Clock: 1600 MHz Timings: 9-10-9-28-2

Fail safe:
    CPU NB VID: 1.150 V Clock: 2000 MHz
    DRAM: 1.500 V Clock: 1333 MHz Timings: 9-9-9-24-2

Motherboard fail safe:
    DRAM: 1.500 V Clock: 1600 MHz Timings: 11-11-11-28-2

Currently testing:
    DRAM: 1.500 V Clock: 1066 MHz Timings: 7-8-7-21-2

I've also tried a few other variations by bumping CPU NB VID a little more and DRAM voltage up to 1.55 and 1.6 V, but I still get errors eventually.

Is there anything I can do? If I have to I'll buy a different set of memory and just chalk it up to inexperience since this is the first time I have ever built a computer from scratch, but if there's something I'm missing and there is a configuration that should work I'd like to try it. I'd rather not raise the FSB if I can avoid it.

Even if there isn't a working config, I would consider buying from G.SKILL again. I've been very impressed with the forum activity here.

Thanks,

John

With these sticks at 1600 might try 8-8-8-24, CR (Command Rate/Command Timing at 2N, 1.5 DRAM Voltage, with CPU/NB freq at 2400

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

DRAM: 1.500 V Clock: 1333 MHz Timings: 7-8-7-24-2

The above should work.. also, test one module at a time to see if one may be bad causing issues. Something appears to be bad if you are having so many problems.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

After trying out both sets of recommended timings I tried testing the modules individually again, and it turns out one of them consistently produces errors no matter which slot it's in while the other one goes through 10 passes of memtest86+ no problem. Looks like I'll be requesting an RMA.

Thanks very much for your help, especially over the weekend! I could have sworn I tested them individually before, but I guess I wasn't thorough enough. Rookie mistake, and here's hoping the next set will be better.

Comment

Glad to hear you found the problem, let us know how all turns out

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X