Gskill Ripjaws and ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gskill Ripjaws and ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3

I've read everything on the site I think concerning this combo. I have this setup:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Revision: PH-E0
    ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 Rev. 1.xx Bios: 1902
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4GB)X2 (16gb total) Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

I'm pretty good with building computers just been out of the game for a while, and all the newest features take a LOT of reading to get right. If someone can just give me some settings that work and make sure I know what they are in this bios... that would be great. With stock settings 2 sticks work perfect on this motherboard with no crashes. I have 2 setup in dual channel as described in the mb manual, but when I add the other 2 for four sticks of 4 gb each, it gets VERY unstable. Crashing within 5-10 mins every time. I did read the thread up top about gskill and amd, but I think I'm doing something wrong. Anyone who could give me a more comprehensive description would be my hero. Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's just a couple of settings to make 16 gigs stable. Thanks in advance.

Will want to start w/ this thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Next, not sure offhand, but if that's not the current BIOS, then will want to update to the latest. if you've already gone through those steps above you can try raising the DRAM voltage to 1.58...if that doesn't do it check your CPU/NB voltage and then raise it by .06...if that stabilizes, then you can try decreasing the voltages .01 at a time if you like while maintaining stability, or leave as is. If still unstable check back.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks bud, I'll try those settings. Appreciate the response. I'll let ya know how it goes when I get a chance.

Comment

So, I'm still having an issue. Not clear on how this is supposed to work. First I try the settings explained in the Gskill+amd thread, and those don't work. In that thread it describes upping some voltages for dram and cpu/nb to compensate for increased draw I'm assuming. My problem I think is being a little nervous not having done it, and being over cautious... I need a more clear explanation I think if the steps to do this correctly. I don't want to be the next gskill/asus/amd rma. Sorry to be so carefull... Also, if I apply those settings and they don't work, do you want me to apply the settings you suggested on TOP of those settings? Or default and do the ones you suggested? One other thing, when I try to manually set my bios to 1333, it auto switches to 1600. Then somehow it switches to 1283 or some strange number. Wierd. I'm still trying to find more articles on this motherboard/mem combo. I feel like such a noob. hah Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Update: Got 2 sticks to run at 800MHz with the suggested changes in the gskill+amd thread. Going to attempt to add the other 2 sticks, see what happens. I'm assuming I'll need to add a little voltage for a stable 16 gigs just like it says... Ok, this is easier than I thought. The sheer volume of options compared to a few years ago threw me off. I'll figure this out. Thanks for the help anyways.

Comment

If it's showing 800 then you are prob at 1600 as it's DDR (Double Data Rate), boot into windows and download/run CPU-Z, then check the memory tab - if it shows 800 in freq, you are running 1600....Extra voltage, if needed will be in DRAM Voltage and/or CPU/NB Voltage, done in small increments.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yea I think I figured it out. I upped the voltage just one tick after getting the 2 sticks of ram to 800mhz. Working fine now. Not a single crash as the higher settings. I'll add the other 2 sticks and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

So what would be the best way to up my voltages for the 8 more gb of gskill ram? Should I do dram voltage? Or cpu/nb voltage for stability? I'm going mainly for stability, I could care a less about overclocking at this point. I'll run it into the ground until I need the speed and then overclock.

Comment

If any problems after adding the other two sticks, just add a bit first to DRAM, then to CPU/NB if needed

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X