• G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Specs
    MSI GD70 Motherboard
    AMD x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz (untouched)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2x2GB ram sticks
    Sapphire Xtreme HD5850 GPU
    OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU
    Coolermaster hyper 212 plus

hey guys, I have the G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2x2GB ram sticks, i didnt realize they were made for i5, i dont know if that could be part of the problem but when I run a prime95 blend test with stock everything i get instant round errors.

These are the things i've tried to not instantly fail the p95 blend test. I put the dram voltage up to 1.55 and it ran blend test for about 15-20 minutes. So i proceeded upping the multiplier on my CPU and ran blendtest and some of the cores would fail in 10-20 seconds ?

Right now I tried setting the FSB Ratio to 3:10 and it is now running at 8-8-8-24-31 with the multiplier unchanged at x16 and it passed the test, im just testing how far i can push my machine without it failing early in the test as it would waste a night of oc testing if it failed early and I'm already in bed!

I ran memtest86 the other night when I slept and when I woke up the PC was still on but there was no signal coming from it, so I had to reset. Did that mean the memtest86 failed ? Thanks guys. Also, I am new to PC building and this is my first time, so yeah please be gentle.

Might want to take a look at the sticky about AMD CPUs and 1600sticks and see if that helps first, can be found here

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Your Ripjaw set is rated with CL9 timings, why are you running with CL8 timings?
      AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
      Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
      2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
      SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
      Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
      Corsair HX850W Modular
      Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
      2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

He's using 3:10, instead of 1:4. Now he just needs to set CPU Bus Frequency to 240 and DRAM timings to 9-9-9-24.

8-8-8-24 is possible @ DDR3-1600, but DRAM Voltage will need to be 1.60V-1.65V

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          He's using 3:10, instead of 1:4. Now he just needs to set CPU Bus Frequency to 240 and DRAM timings to 9-9-9-24.

8-8-8-24 is possible @ DDR3-1600, but DRAM Voltage will need to be 1.60V-1.65V

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          I'm curious about this myself...
          This Ripjaws set is rated at 1.50v, is it safe to run 24/7 at 1.65v?
          The reason I ask is that I have two RipjawsX sets that are rated at 1.50v as well.
          Just wondered if it's safe to apply that much voltage to a lower voltage set.
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

That'snprob the outer edge of what I'd run at 24/7, but would have to see the box. There's a built in tolerance to all sticks and most are listed to JEDEC spec (1.5) but I've seen boxes running even higher 24/7 with no ill effects (so far), need good cooling and airflow cause it will bring temps up.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for the reply guys, realy helpful. Can you guys tell me why 1 of my cores failed and why my temps are so high? I know this thread is just about DDR3 ram but you guys seem to know a lot so if this isn't violating any rules, I'd like to ask for help from you guys !

I believe that picture has a lot of information that can tell you guys what i am doing wrong...
              if that picture doesnt provide you enough info i will answer them for you, I would have took a bios screenshot if i knew how or if it was possible but I will tell you as much as I can about the voltages.

Dram Voltage: 1.60
              cpu core voltage - 1.50

And also, people have been telling me the temps for their AMD 955 BE is normal and they can adjust the multipliers to make it 3.8GhZ without having to touch the cpu core voltage ?? I just built this computer by myself and it was my first build, could I have done something wrong ? Thanks guys.
              Last edited by flipboi15; 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hows the ventilation in your box 2-3 fans - more? The 955 can run on the warm side. Could change to a 1:4 ratio and run CL9 which will cut the heat some (less voltage). Might look to lower vCore a bit, if unsure how much just start dropping maybe .01 or .02 at a time, till it starts to get unstable, then raise back to the previous setting. Could also pull your CPU Cooler and reapply thermal compound, may not have a full coating, (also, if it's a new build, less than a week or so, temps may drop a bit anyway once your thermal compound cures fully) temps aren't really totally out of line. It's showing a high of 61 C, which is within reason. Don't blame you for being concerned though better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

Tman

Comment

Drop your Vcore down, it will help quite a bit with your CPU temp.
                  My C3 965 and 955 can run 24/7 at 3.7GHz with a Vcore of only 1.3625v.
                  Once you go above 3.7GHz, these Denab chips require a big Vcore bump to run stable.
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Hows the ventilation in your box 2-3 fans - more? The 955 can run on the warm side. Could change to a 1:4 ratio and run CL9 which will cut the heat some (less voltage). Might look to lower vCore a bit, if unsure how much just start dropping maybe .01 or .02 at a time, till it starts to get unstable, then raise back to the previous setting. Could also pull your CPU Cooler and reapply thermal compound, may not have a full coating, (also, if it's a new build, less than a week or so, temps may drop a bit anyway once your thermal compound cures fully) temps aren't really totally out of line. It's showing a high of 61 C, which is within reason. Don't blame you for being concerned though better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.

I kind of emphasized too much on the core temp! I failed prime95 blend test with these settings, I don't know why, I might have a faulty ram so I'm going to run memtest overnight and will post back here.

Last edited by flipboi15; 05-13-2011, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Wow, you have your CPU voltage set at 1.50v, no wonder it's running HOT.
                      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                      Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

i ran memtest86 and 4 minutes in the test i got 6 errors and I went to sleep and when I woke up my computer was on but there was no signal coming from it. Should I RMA ?

Comment

It's no problem as long as the memory is using the added voltage.

By lowering timings to 8-8-8-24, the memory will need* ~1.60V, so it is fine. But if you use it at the rated DDR3-1600 CL9 and attempt 1.70V just because, that can damage hardware.

This is the same for any other hardware too, but at a certain range you will need to look into cooling to make sure it does not over heat. For DDR3 memory, this is typically around 1.65V, then anything higher should have some sort of cooling.

flipboi15,

You have too much voltage everywhere.. you should follow the guide we have available to set it up. Your over voltage is causing instability.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Originally posted by NemesisChild View Post
                          I'm curious about this myself...
                          This Ripjaws set is rated at 1.50v, is it safe to run 24/7 at 1.65v?
                          The reason I ask is that I have two RipjawsX sets that are rated at 1.50v as well.
                          Just wondered if it's safe to apply that much voltage to a lower voltage set.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            It's no problem as long as the memory is using the added voltage.

By lowering timings to 8-8-8-24, the memory will need* ~1.60V, so it is fine. But if you use it at the rated DDR3-1600 CL9 and attempt 1.70V just because, that can damage hardware.

This is the same for any other hardware too, but at a certain range you will need to look into cooling to make sure it does not over heat. For DDR3 memory, this is typically around 1.65V, then anything higher should have some sort of cooling.

flipboi15,

You have too much voltage everywhere.. you should follow the guide we have available to set it up. Your over voltage is causing instability.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Thanks, i figured it was either the first or 2nd slot or both that was making my PC run unstable, I have both the ram sticks in the last 2 slots and it is working properly now, I even overclocked to 3.8GhZ and it is more stable than ever and yes its working dual channel. And yes, there was too much voltage everywhere because I was trying to isolate the problem. As of now everything is default but the core multiplier (to make it 3.8) and the ram stick is set to default but with 1.65V. Is this too high? Also, do you think my mobo is faulty if this is wats causing it.

I can't test the DIMM slots very well because the heatsink of my hyper 212 is hovering above the 2 first slots closest to the CPU, its impossible to insert or take out anything from the first slot without having to remove the heatsink.

Comment

1.65 should be okay, can always try lowering it say .01 at a time while maintaining stability. Can't really tell about the mobo unless you can get in and test all slots.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X