asus m4a87td evo and x6 1090t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asus m4a87td evo and x6 1090t

Purchased an ASUS M4A87TD EVO board and AMD 3.2 PH X6 1090T Black Processor along with F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL RAM.

Got blue screens almost immediately.

Bought new RAM, this time from another company after talking with the people from ASUS about which RAM works for sure with the board. Still BSOD almost 2x a day.

The Asus people insist that the error message points to RAM issues or processor issues and not their board.

Finally RMA'd the processor to AMD, at which point they tested it and stated nothing was wrong with it.

After talking with their tier 2 tech support they informed me that a limitation of ALL AMD X6 processors was that they could not use overclocked RAM and that no matter what RAM I use - I am going to get BSODs until I get one that is naturally at the 1333 speed no matter that the board is supposedly rated for 1600 (DDR3).

Brutal.

At this point I either want to find a way to use the RAM I have (the aforementioned GSKILL RipJaws) or just buy a GSKILL that will work. I am so sick of my computer crashing 4x a day! Actually, at this point I would start sacrificing goats on the rooftops if I thought it would help since the ASUS people ASSURE me that DDR3 1600 RAM will work (2 4G sticks) on the board even though AMD told me that both AMD and Intel have chip limitations that require 1333 RAM, even though the ASUS says otherwise.

For love of all that is holy, is there any way to either get what I already have to work or is there a specific type of GSKILL and settings that will at least only crash once every six months?

I have put together several computers for myself in the past and nothing is OC'd, the Bios are all updated and still the BSODs keep coming back like a stalkery ex-gf!

Please help or suggest any RAM I can use or settings I can use that will stop this horrible cycle of blue screen disasters?

Mike

That's stock answers from both ASUS and AMD...blame somebody else. Am willing to bet if you check the ASUS QVL list you won't find any 4x4GB sets - yet they say it will run 16GB.

Anyway, might start w/ the sticky here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

it's a thread about AMD mobos/CPUs and 1600 DRAM, plenty of people have run 1600 w/ the 1090T, take a look and see if it helps, I got to run, but will be back and will check the boards in an hour or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So buy new RAM or replace MOBO?

Thanks,

I figured as much, though it was odd to hear AMD say the problem was all chips (AMD and INTEL) and that buying new RAM with stock 1333 speed would fix things.

At this point I am ready to try anything, still waiting on my processor to be mailed back though. So given I have the 2 GSkill 4G sticks, with the timing/settings in that thread I should be able to make it work?

Or should I say to heck with it and just buy a new board that works with that RAM and that processor? Is there a board that seems to do well with 1600 speeds (the RipJaws) and if so which one would you suggest I use?

Because for now, not having a working computer is more painful than having to buy a new motherboard.

Comment

Should be able to get it to work........missed the bit that they sid Intel, that's patently false - basically all the 1155, 1156, 1366 CPUs have no problem at all w/ 1600+, even the older 775 CPUs can run them.

The big problem here is AMD CPUs are well known for having weak MCs (memory controllers) and have for quite some time and have been plagued w/ oddities in how they could handle DRAM some wouldn't run 1066 at all, then it was 1066, but only one stick per channel, the 965 wouldn't touch 1600, but a new revision would run 2 sticks (and with a lot of playing, maybe 4).

They run into the same problems with large amounts of DRAM, yet Intel just cruises. You'll find very few AMDs running 16GB, yet even older 775 socket boards do it fine, as do 1155, 1156, 1366 can run 24GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The 1090T is the best it's going to get (for now) with the AMD IMC.
          Seriously doubt your original 1090T was defective in any way, but anything is possible.
          Did you manually enter your timings and DRAM voltage in the bios?
          Also, when running 8GB+ on an AMD platform, you may need to increase the CPU and CPU/NB voltages.
          Did you consider the possibility that one (or maybe both) of your sticks are defective?
          Always best to run memtest on each stick individually when these type of memory issues arise.
          Last edited by NemesisChild; 04-25-2011, 06:10 AM.
          AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
          Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
          ASUS Crosshair V Formula
          2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
          SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
          Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
          Corsair HX850W Modular
          Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
          2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Working...
          X