Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nymnym confused a little, but the only reason being i have never overclocked!! I do mainly use my setup for photoshop and veideo editing and convertion so wuite cpu heavy

i might have to get your email addy for some help on a possible overclock!! what motherboard are you running? I have the ASUS M4ATD785-V EVO

what did you think about the case & psu?

thanks

Comment

• My motherboard is Asus Sabertooth 990FX.

I don't have previous experience with overclocking either; learned mainly from this thread and from another thread here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=596023

As to case and PSU -- I have had more than a few computers over the years, and have found that PSU is almost always the weak link (which is to say I've replaced more than a few PSUs over the years). Go for a larger PSU by a good manufacturer if at all possible. I'm using an Antec PSU 650W EA-650 GREEN RT (bought on sale from NewEgg). Experts would probably recommend even a larger PSU.

Case needs as much ventilation as possible IMO. Cooler temps inside case make everything perform better and last longer, including PSU, CPU, GPU etc. In accelerated aging testing, there's a general rule that every 10 degrees Celsius temperature increase decreases lifetime by 50%, (stemming from a basic rule of chemical thermodynamics that every increase in reaction temperature by 10 degrees Celsius doubles reaction rate).

At any rate, I have a pretty cheap case that is actually well made and has lots of ventilation -- ROSEWILL CHALLENGER RT - bought on sale from NewEgg for $50 US. Replaced some of the stock fans with quieter fans (fan noise drives me crazy!).

I'm going to be leaving for about a week here shortly; don't know if I'll have access to a computer or not, but will check this board and respond if I do have computer access. Won't have access to my own email till I return.

Regards.

__

Comment

• Hello everyone UPS is going to deliver my GSkill Ram today and both my Mobo and CPU are AMD
        and I was looking at motherboards specs it says it can run 1600 OC but I dont want to overclock it, i would be satisfied running 8gigs at 1333mhz so what would I have to do to get it to run at those speeds? change the DRAM frequency to 666 and put the DRAM voltage at 1.5 and the timings 9-9-9-24
        or 8-8-8-24 and thats it? I dont want to OC my CPU or RAM, just want the stuff to work without burning up the first time I attempt to install it.- Thanks any advice will help

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
        MOBO:Asus M4N68T-M V2
        Processor Manufacturer: AMD
        Processor Type: Phenom II X4
        Processor Model: 840
        Processor Core: Quad-core
        Processor Speed: 3.20 GHz
        Processor Nickname: propus

Comment

• johnjohnjosh

8-8-8-24 should be fine at 1333, if any problems let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• GSkill

iv been running my g skill mem at 1333mhz 8-8-8-24 for two days and have been stress testing with battlefield 3 and it runs soo damm smooth i love it I can play battlefield 3 with no problems for hours....have had no problems with gskill and I love the metalic heatsinks

Comment

• Fantastic! Glad to hear all is well

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

• Hello.

I've recently run into some problems. I got my kit about 3 months ago and it has been working fine up until the past couple of days.

I have been getting a lot of BSODs.

Here are my specs:
                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
                G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB)
                GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ MotherBoard
                Zotac GTX 460

I was getting 2 types of bluescreens. 1a and 24. I seem to have fixed 24. I just ran a chkdisk and i stopped getting those bluescreens.

I am still getting 1a memory management bluescreens though.

When I first installed my kit, It was working fine. Since it was working fine, I didn't think i had to mess with the bios and stuff.

Now that I'm getting these problems I'm considering going into bios and changing the settings. However, I really have no idea what I am doing.

I've looked at the first post and the settings in my BIOS, and none of it seems to really match.

Can someone give me the exact settings I would need to change for my BIOS?

EDIT: Ok. So after some research I figured out some of the settings. I managed to change the timings to 9-9-9-24. I changed CPU-Northbridge Freq. to 2400 and I set DRAM voltage to 1.5V. Now the part that confuses me is changing CPU-NB Voltage. The closest i see is CPU-NB VID Control. I changed that to +.10. Are those the same? or did I just change the wrong setting?
                Last edited by runeblade265; 03-15-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Hi,

I have this:
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

I need 16GB of memory but have no idea what to choose.
                  Can you help? And include the SKU please.

Thanks

Comment

• runeblade265

That would be it, may have to take it up a bit more, what is it currently set at? Also, may want DRAM to

55FOTS52

I'd suggest 1600, the CPU should carry it fine with 16GB, that said, my first choice would be the Snipers at CL9, 1.5 model #F3-12800CL9Q-16GBSR can be seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231534

my second choice would be the RipJaws X CL9, 1.5 model # F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL, here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

There's others also, or you could drop to 1333 and check those sets

Tman

Comment

• Well I decided to just go with 1333 with 8-8-8-24 timings. In this case, would I still need to mess with the voltages or should I just leave them to auto?

Comment

• With 16GB at 1333, you may still have to raise voltages a bit (DRAM and/or CPU/NB) but it will depend on the BIOS, some can set up on autodetect fairly well with 4 sticks....if any problems, give a holler and we'll help you through the setup

Tman

Comment

• I have 8gb (2x4gb).

Anyway. About an hour ago I reseated the ram and changed the settings in bios. It might be too early to tell but everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Comment

• Glad to hear, keep us informed of how things are going

Tman

Comment

• 55FOTS52

I'd suggest 1600, the CPU should carry it fine with 16GB, that said, my first choice would be the Snipers at CL9, 1.5 model #F3-12800CL9Q-16GBSR can be seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231534

my second choice would be the RipJaws X CL9, 1.5 model # F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL, here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

There's others also, or you could drop to 1333 and check those sets

Thanks Tm, but I am still undecided.

According to ram comfiguration here: http://www.gskill.com/configurator.php, The ASUS Crosshair V Formula is not mentioned. Any reason?

Comment

• Tradesman,

I will take your 2nd recommendation.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X