Memory OC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory OC?

Hi, I'm in the process of overclocking my system, and have found the best balance of OC/temps @3.8GHz (181x21). So my RAM is running at 1448MHz (x8), but this is under spec. The next step up is 1800MHz, which renders my system unbootable. So my question is: can I OC my RAM to 1800MHz? Can I just increase the voltage on them (there rated at 1.60, and Intel "allows" up to 1.65, so I as far as my CPU & MB are concerned I can up the voltage up to .5)? Or should I go for tightening timings (I'd think this is more complicated and since the performance difference between upping the clock speed and lowering the timings is about the same, I'd rather go for a higher speed)?

Best bet may be to set everything manually..... set the speed to 1600, the base timings, DRAM Voltage and CR (Command Rate to 2) rather than use XMP or Auto or linked.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Best bet may be to set everything manually..... set the speed to 1600, the base timings, DRAM Voltage and CR (Command Rate to 2) rather than use XMP or Auto or linked.
      I can't set the RAM to 1600: the i7 RAM multi goes from x8 to x10 so (unless I go down to 160 bclk or up to 200) I'm unable to set it at 1600 S:

Comment

In the BIOS go to the OC Tweaker --- Overclock Mode -- Manual

That enables untied (or linked) OCing, so you can manually set the DRAM

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

In the BIOS go to the OC Tweaker --- Overclock Mode -- Manual

That enables untied (or linked) OCing, so you can manually set the DRAM
          I am on manual, thats how I got to a 181 bclk... I can set the memory multiplier manually, but I can't set it to x9 (which would give me ~1600MHz) because that multi is not available on my CPU/MB. So, at this CPU speed my RAM has to run either @ 1448MHz (underclock) or @ 1810MHz (overclock). I am currently running it underclocked, as it's not stable @ 1810MHz with stock voltage, but I obviously prefer to run it overclocked, but I'm not sure if I can just "up the [RAM] voltage a notch"...

Comment

DO you have the latest BIOS? Might want to check w/ ASRock, they've provided me w/ good turn around on email support

Tman

Comment

DO you have the latest BIOS? Might want to check w/ ASRock, they've provided me w/ good turn around on email support
              I have the latest BIOS. There is nothing to check with ASRock, there is no issue with the MB, or the memory really. What I want to know is can I and if I can how (by increasing the ""DRAM voltage"?) do I get my mem (rated at 1600) to run @ 1800 (without loosening the timings) And no, 1600 (181 bclk x 9) is not an option because the i7 920 doesn't have a x9 memory multi, only x6 x8 x10 & x12.

Comment

If you follow Intel's suggestion, then all you can do is raise DRAM Voltage to 1.65V and see if it will be stable with DDR3-1800. Technically you can go beyond this, but you also need to set QPI Voltage.

Try your DDR3-1810 setting with 1.65V and see if that is stable. Part of overclocking is finding voltages that can stabilize the frequency without damaging hardware.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                  If you follow Intel's suggestion, then all you can do is raise DRAM Voltage to 1.65V and see if it will be stable with DDR3-1800. Technically you can go beyond this, but you also need to set QPI Voltage.

Try your DDR3-1810 setting with 1.65V and see if that is stable. Part of overclocking is finding voltages that can stabilize the frequency without damaging hardware.

Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH
                  And setting it at 1.65v won't be dangerous for my memory, void my warranty or anything along those lines?
                  I'm waiting for your reply to hit the button

Comment

No problem!

Overvoltage is OK if done correctly. The higher frequency will use the extra voltage, so it does not damage the memory. But if you set DDR3-1600, and shoot it up to 1.80V because your memory is not stable, than you're probably going to fry the memory. Key is to do research so you know what you are doing. (as you have done) Along the way you will learn and become more familiar with your system.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                      No problem!

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      Awesome I'll update you with the results.

Edit:
                      IT WORKED! I'm now testing with memtest, about 2 passes should be enough to tell if it's stable, right? When I have time I'll do an over-nighter.
                      Last edited by adriangb; 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: Added results

Comment

Memtest only tests the memory, you will want to use Prime95 or some stress test to make sure the entire system is stable, along with the memory.

Glad to hear it worked.

If you want to be "overclocker" precise, test for the lowest stable DRAM Voltage and QPI Voltage. The QPI Voltage especially can vary on AUTO, so manually setting this would be best.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH
                        Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X