Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradesman
    replied
    Don't blame you, I know having far flung clients can be a real pain....it's always best to be positive before it heads out the door

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    In the interests of completeness ...

... I did, on the second try, get what Support had agreed to as replacement (after a bit of a wrangle with RMA, which initially said they'd only replace with the same product as returned.

Done. I'm sure I'll never let a machine leave my place again with a cold boot problem.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Oh well, was just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    Nope, can't

I don't have a machine that takes DDR3; and the computer these would have belonged in is two hours away. (And running fine with 2x4GB Kingstons.) I don't think there would ever come a point in time when I would care whether the sticks I just received work, or not.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Have you tried them? Might as well.

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    Yep, np ...

Thanks for saying so but, yeah, I emailed them right away; but I know it's the holidays.

Just one of those things.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    There should be someone in Monday (I think, not positive) could email or call

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    Last post ... Oops ...

The saga should have ended conclusively today. The RMA went through, I returned my 4x2GB, they had agreed to replace with something else mutually agreed upon ...

The package came today and they sent out the same model chips as I had returned. (Sigh)

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    No problem, wish we could have resolved the issue

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    and Thanks!

... for your patience and time, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    I'd check with ustech@gskillusa.com and reference this thread

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    HOORAY!? ... a resolution ... BUT ...

I finally got a chance to revisit my friend/client's home, computer and long-running, intractable cold boot issue. It was over Thanksgiving and I am just getting to this update now.

I followed my plan, noted above, and popped in 2x4GB DDR3 Kingstons. Nothing special, they were on sale.

The cold boot issue was immediately resolved. Works fine on any settings that ought to work -- default, OC'd, XMS, etc.

I have to conclude that the problem has been the RAM, the whole time, since building the computer almost three years ago.

Now for my last problem: I am stuck with 4x2GB G.Skill RAM, bought for $200 three years ago *based on G.Skill saying they were compatible with the motherboard.* (I have the receipt.) And they obviously were not compatible and have cost me literally days, maybe a week, of troubleshooting time. They tested fine. They worked fine except for the cold boot problem. But the cold boot problem was not acceptable and I am sure G.Skill agrees.

So there is the problem of the RMA. I am sure G.Skill would exchange the RAM, but in this case I think that is inadequate. I don't have any need, after 3 years, for 4x2GB DDR3 RAM. I've replaced the RAM. I won't be using 2GB sticks in anything going forward. It's not remotely worth additional time and trouble to exchange them.

I don't expect G.Skill to recompense me for labor and frustration. But I think it would be fair if they offered me current market replacement value for the product. I'd be happy to return them for a $200 credit and call it even ... and I'll consider anything they might say in response to that.

Anyway, I'm posting this and wondering if they'll see it here and wondering if I can be directed toward someone with whom I should have this conversation.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    Good approach or if you have or could borrow similar sticks can try that route, I'm leaning towards the mobo itself or a combination of it and it's BIOS, seen a lot of problems with this mobo

Leave a comment:

• justjss
    replied
    I appreciate all your help and advice ... feel like I got a little closer this week, anyway, but I had to leave. Anyway, I think I ruled out the PSU (tested with a good spare and still had the cold boot issue.) I think I've ruled out drivers/peripherals. And I've ruled out OS/file corruption/software. At least as much as anyone can. And I think all four of the 2x4G G.Skill sticks are equally good and I suspect they'd work okay in another motherboard ... perhaps one with a different bios/chipset though.

I'm not smart enough to tell if it's a RAM incompatibility or a tiny little voltage issue that afflicts the motherboard. Obviously, from a "make it right" standpoint, I'd prefer that the RAM is the problem. Unfortunately, I have no DDR3 I can use to just test.

So my path forward is to have the guy pick up 2x4G DDR3 for me to test with next time I'm there. If it works -- great. I'll RMA the G.Skill and hope that their sense of fair play and customer service will allow them to send me/us 2x4G or even 1x8G in return, because that will have use going forward for the guy and will go a tiny way to making up for a great deal of aggravation and work. The RAM was $200 new, too. I think that sending me 4x4GB shouldn't be out of the question, you know? Given today's prices. ;-)

If the new RAM doesn't work, obviously I will RMA the motherboard and hope for a better result with a new one. Regardless of if there is some "hard" voltage/bios setting that will make this system cold boot reliably, I'm really not going to be comfortable unless the failsafe/auto bios settings work. Inevitably, hardware and software are going to change and I don't want to be tinkering with this PC for its whole natural life.

Leave a comment:

• Tradesman
    replied
    It might, but if the sticks test good, I've generally found a slight DRAM Voltage and/or MC increase clears it up...might be mobo not regulating voltage correctly or PSU not popping it initially, I'd sort of lean to a mobo issue. If you could lay your habds on some similar sticks might try those and see if same happens....I feel for you, since I've been through the same thing, building rigs and the people might be in Phoenix (100 + miles), have some customers up in the mountains here, and that's a hour plus each way....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X