No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH problems on MSI 790FX-GD70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guess right. You can experiment and tighten timings, but in all honesty, to 'see' any increase via RAM settings you'll have to run benchmarks, you won't 'see' any difference in day to day computing or gaming. Your best bets for performance increases that are apparent to the user would be an OC on the CPU, make sure the OS startup items are clean, these wouldn't cost anything. If willing to spend, not sure of your OS, but if it's a 32 go 64 either Win7 or Vista, go to 8 GB, get an SSD, not sure of GPU , but again upgrade is possible.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

my os is vista ultimate x64 on an ocz agility 120gb ssd, gpu is a hd4870x2.
      so the system is pretty fast.
      i know that i won?t see any real world performance increase. tightening timings would just shave off a few ms on superpi, which i don?t really care about. but it would be nice to do it.
      4GHz Validation
      MSI 790FX-GD70 (BIOS 1.6B3)//PhenomII 965
      2x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH//Sapphire 4870X2
      OCZ Agility 120GB//2x Hitachi Deskstar (500GB) RAID0//ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W

Comment

With the main timings 7-7-7-21 manually entered, it should automatically pick up the correct advanced timings. So simply set those and the computer will manually pick up the rest just fine. Tightening them would simply cause instability so there is no need to do so.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

How do you like your Agility, I haven't tried those, as yet. Have used the Apex, Summit and Vertex and been happy with the latter two, wasn't all that thrilled with the Apex (wasn't to bad, but sotra so-so)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i like it so far. it?s my first ssd and it was one of the cheapest ssd?s with almost the same performance as a vertex/falcon. i got it for 275?.
            it?s nice to have almost no loading times in games.
            4GHz Validation

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              With the main timings 7-7-7-21 manually entered, it should automatically pick up the correct advanced timings. So simply set those and the computer will manually pick up the rest just fine. Tightening them would simply cause instability so there is no need to do so.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT
              the problem is that the "auto" timings on the 1:4 divider are very loose and they are the same no matter what memory modules are used.
              i used the xmp 1600 profile timings which i read out off the spd in the bios.
              i set trc a little tighter to 33clks.
              so far it?s 1hour occt stable at 844MHz 1.65V with the cpu at 3904MHz.
              i?m really satisfied now with buying this ram
              4GHz Validation

Comment

What type of chips are used on the f3-12800c7d-4gbrh?
                Are those elpida bbse chips? Are the same chips used for every batch of 2x2gb kit?
                The reason i'm asking this is, that i have 2 kits and they seem to be of different batches. The sticker on one says 7-7-7-21 and the other kit has a sticker saying 7-7-7-24. Are still the same chips used on both kits?
                4GHz Validation

Comment

Hey,

I downloaded the the latest v1.5 bios and was going to try that first before the 1.6b3. I normally flash with floppy, and simply use a second floppy that has the bios file. However, I read the instructions from MSI, and they explicitly state not to do that and to use a ramdrive instead. I can't use my hard drive since it is NTFS. I tried to find instructions for a bootable USB, and was successful except it was only 1.44mb, not the full size of the thumbdrive. I am leary of m-flash and I read that the that the windows live update was risky.

How do you flash your bios/what is the best way: m-flash, ramdrive, bootable usb, floppy, or other?

Thanks.

Comment

u don?t need a bootable usb.
                    just format a usb stick in fat or fat32. copy the bios file on the stick. leave the stick connected. restart. hit del to go into bios. choose m-flash in the bios. choose bios update then choose ur stick and select the file from the stick that u want to flash.
                    then just let the flash prog do it?s thing and the pc will restart with the new bios.
                    it?s really very easy.
                    but remember that flashing the bios is always risky. u have to avoid powerdowns during the flash process, or ur bios chip will get corrupted.

do urself a favor and flash to 1.6b3 directly. 1.5 doesn?t have the support for the ripjaws.
                    Last edited by MadDias; 09-29-2009, 09:36 AM.
                    4GHz Validation

Comment

Working...
                    X