No announcement yet.

F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH problems on MSI 790FX-GD70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice to see that i?m not alone with this problem. although i see that it?s not nice to have a problem at all

gskill_tech i provided u with shots of the bios in a thread on xtremesystems a while ago.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...13&postcount=3
    complete cell menu in screenshots.
    still waiting for an answer.
    i guess there is nothing to set in the secondary timings to get those ripjaws running on the 1:4 divider. i think that it is a bios problem with the chips used on this ram, or it is a problem with the spd on the ram.
    Last edited by MadDias; 09-18-2009, 04:52 PM.
    4GHz Validation
    MSI 790FX-GD70 (BIOS 1.6B3)//PhenomII 965
    2x 2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH//Sapphire 4870X2
    OCZ Agility 120GB//2x Hitachi Deskstar (500GB) RAID0//ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers, including video card drivers?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

For me, yes and yes.
        Latest mobo BIOS ver is 1.4, and latest HD4870 graphics driver is Cataylst 9.9.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Do you have the latest BIOS and drivers, including video card drivers?
          latest beta bios here... 1.6b2

what is a video card driver good for, when u can?t even get ur pc to POST?
          anyways, i?m on cat9.8.
          4GHz Validation

Comment

The system will, try and allocate RAM to graphics card, basically regardless of the amount of RAM the GPU has on board, if they conflict it can lock up the boot process and normally ends up with a check sum BSOD. I.e. I'm running a 285 w/1GB and have 8GB RAM in this system - the system allocates 3 additional GB to the GPU for appr 4 GB total.

Have you tried the command rate at 2T, 1T might be to tight
            Last edited by Tradesman; 09-19-2009, 06:49 AM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I swapped to an ATI x800 just out of curiosity for a quick test, but it made no difference.
              I have tried both the 1T and the 2T settings.
              Last edited by dw33b; 09-19-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

The system will, try and allocate RAM to graphics card, basically regardless of the amount of RAM the GPU has on board, if they conflict it can lock up the boot process and normally ends up with a check sum BSOD. I.e. I'm running a 285 w/1GB and have 8GB RAM in this system - the system allocates 3 additional GB to the GPU for appr 4 GB total.

Have you tried the command rate at 2T, 1T might be to tight
                The graphics driver has nothing to do with memory allocation. The driver is loaded during windows boot up.
                If u can't even pass the power on selftest, there is no booting and therefor no blue screen of death.
                2t or 1t doesn't make a difference. I wrote in the first post of this thread that the board and the ram are capable of doing 800mhz 7-7-7-24 1t on the 1:3.33 divider.
                The problem only appears when using the 1:4 mem divider.
                4GHz Validation

Comment

Depending on the graphics card you are running, and the driver....many cards/drivers allow to reset the cards hardware from within the OS and lock those settings into place....when you boot afterwards, with those in place it can cause the exact problem you described and not go through POST. Was just looking into the possibilities and what we would have to do to get this RAM to work since it is actually designed for a specific chipset, which is far different than what you purchased it for....

I'll leave this for GSkill, no need for me to try and troubleshoot something when a user obviously knows more than me. They should be in Monday, although Gskill Tech does tend to stop by on weekends occasionally
                  Last edited by Tradesman; 09-19-2009, 02:26 PM.

Tman

Comment

Depending on the graphics card you are running, and the driver....many cards/drivers allow to reset the cards hardware from within the OS and lock those settings into place....when you boot afterwards, with those in place it can cause the exact problem you described and not go through POST. Was just looking into the possibilities and what we would have to do to get this RAM to work since it is actually designed for a specific chipset, which is far different than what you purchased it for....

I'll leave this for GSkill, no need for me to try and troubleshoot something when a user obviously knows more than me. They should be in Monday, although Gskill Tech does tend to stop by on weekends occasionally
                    i didn?t want to sound like i?m knowing more than u.
                    but there is not even a chance of loading a driver. what u maybe mean are changes to the grafic card?s bios (which i never heard of being done by a driver). but trust me it?s definetly not a gpu related problem.
                    when u choose save&exit from the bios the pc powers down, restarts and then immediatly resets all bios settings to default.
                    it seems to be a msi only problem. on a german forum another g.skill rep tested this ram on a dfi am3 board and haven?t had any problems with it.
                    4GHz Validation

Comment

Maybe I speak to generally here, but I primarily use nVidia graphics cards and normally use nVidia Control Center to set the hardware parameters which are not affected by a PC power down and restart, but may well conflict System BIOS setting preventing the system from going through POST.

And the sticks may well work on DFI, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc just fine, then again on MSI, BioStar, Foxconn they may not work at all, or they may work well on a higher end ASUS mobo and not at all on their lower end boards (that don't get as much attention to the BIOS tuning. There are to many variables to get into.

If your familiar with RAM settings and SPDs, you could get one of the tools for flashing your sticks yourself, i.e. SPDtool, SPD-Z, etc. Not something I'd normally recommend, but it's a possibility.
                      Last edited by Tradesman; 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM.

Tman

Comment

problem solved

a new beta bios solved the incompatibility.

bios 1.6b3
                        http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...925#post436925

finally i can use my ripjaws
                        800MHz 7-7-7-24 1.6V

now it?s time for some hints on the secondary timings gskill_tech.
                        looking forward to hear from you.
                        4GHz Validation

Comment

It was the BIOS then, cool, enjoy

Tman

Comment

Which ones do you have available to configure?

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

at the moment everything is running fine at 844MHz 7-7-7-21 1t 1.65v
                              everything else is on auto.
                              cpu is a phenomII 965 @3904MHz

here is the huge list of settings

4GHz Validation

Comment

i never owned a board with that many timing/drive strength/and other stuff settings.
                                my guess is that most of it really doesn?t have any effect on performance.
                                but maybe u can help me getting the most out of my ripjaws by tightening up the most important stuff.

hope the pics aren?t too big
                                4GHz Validation

Comment

Working...
                                X