Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Instability running XMP on RipjawsZ F3-19200CL9Q+3960X CPU+Intel DX79SR MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Instability running XMP on RipjawsZ F3-19200CL9Q+3960X CPU+Intel DX79SR MB

Hi all,

First of all I would just like to say I am going to be as brief as possible as not to give anyone a headache but I will try to include as much info as possible in regard to my issue.

I've been having serious instability issues with my RipJawsZ kit running on the standard XMP right out of the box. It just won't stay in XMP without BSODing randomly or not booting at all. This is my exact kit here: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=450

Now I this is the first major rig I have built and I picked this particular RAM as it was IMO the best on the market at the time @16GB (I paid some $600 for it then). First my specs:

Intel 3960X CPU
    Intel DX79SR MB
    GSkill 16GB F3-PC319200 (2400) CL9Q 9-11-11-31-2N/2T
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2TOP x2 Xfire
    ThermalTake ToughPower 1500W Silver Plus PSU
    2x Intel 520 SSDs (120GB+480GB)
    2TB WD HDD SATA3
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT LCS (Liquid Cooled CPU) Chassis

Protected by a 1500kVa UPS system, input voltages to PSU are always 237v-242v, if this means anything to anyone.

Originally I started with a Rampage 4 Extreme and I got rid of it thinking it was the culprit.

ALL PROBLEMS HAPPEN ON A FRESH WINDOWS INSTALL. Just making a big note on this so you know it's not conflicting software or anything like that. All drivers updated constantly.

So the problem is when I first put the PC together and loaded up the BIOS and followed the guide on the above link to my kit to run in XMP, it just kept BSODing over and over, always RAM related issues (you know the ones). No OC set on CPU at all, only the settings recommended by GSkill on that page. Now I thought perhaps it was the R4E as it also had a problem where it wouldn't run the 1st PCI-E slot in x16 mode, just x8. Now that I have the Intel board it is clear that the issue is XMP.
    So if I run the DX79SR with the standard (SPD) settings for the kit (1600Mhz @1.5v) I never have a single problem, can even push the CPU to 4.8Ghz t sane voltage levels. Put it into XMP with standard CPU settings except vCore at 1.4v and low vDroop settings (do this to potentially rule out some BSODs) and the system becomes ridiculously unstable. Might not happen instantly (usually anywhere from 15mins to 2 days, average a few hours max but a couple times it went over 24 hours) but it will crash and weird stuff start happening, such as Google Chrome not being able to run memory starts to corrupt anything trying to load. Lots of other apps to, too scared to play games during an XMP boot. I am aware that not all iMC's are built the same but in this case a brand new C7-stepping 3960X should be pretty comfortable for a while before BSODs, not 10 mins into the build.

I could keep going on but I think this about covers that part of it. Again I stress noi OC on the 3960X at any point during an XMP boot. Never really OC it anyway, it's only to run games and some good programs like Adobe CS6 Collection and a lot of internet browser use. KMain reason why I built the rig was to play Fallout: New Vegas and Oblivion, in which case I have modded to ridiculous level and they use some 3-4GB of memory, have millions of polys to render in any scene,, picked this RAM to be able to move the data around at high speed for best FPS. Can confirm they are not the direct cause of any crashes, but that should be self explanatory.

Here are the following programs I have used for testing or benching:
    -Intel Extreme Tuning Utilities (for stress tests) (only on DX79SR) - Memory stress test passes but on thin ice. Pushes the default clock 3960X to up to 89c whilst noting some apps in background starting to crash. On standard 1600mhz setting CPU sees a max of 60c at 4.7Ghz.
    -3DMark11 - for my rig it reports ridiculously low benches - one score was 13K. At 1600Mhz it gets about 28K or something like that on DX79SR. Only tested this on R4E in 2400Mhz mode.
    -Heaven - Wouldn't even pass 30 secs of it before BSOD or lock up, temps getting to crazy anyway. Haven't attempted 1600Mhz mode yet.
    -ASUS PC Diagnostics Stress test (R4E only) - passes most of the time up to an hour of running, temps weren't so bad at the time though. Did not try 1600Mhz mode on the R4E cos I couldn't pinpoint the cause at the time.
    -Prime95 (Intel DX79SR only) - Temps get to BS levels, 10 mins in and XTU is warning me to shut off PC. VR temps hit 75. Always returns the message "FATAL ERROR - Rounding - blah blah", HARDWARE ERROR DETECTED. Running this in background as I speak. Last about 10 mins in a 25 min test, some cores of the CPU manage to pass the full 25mins without error, but number of tests vary. I take special note of Prime95 cos in 1600Mhz mode it passes flying colors at 4.7Ghz (sane voltages) and temps are great. Only used Prime95 with DX79R.
    - MEMTEST86+ - (Both DX79SR and R4E tested) Passed 12 hours on both 1600 and 2400 XMP modes - WOW - but onboth boards it crashed as soon as I rebooted, on DX79SR the "VR Hot" light came on and failed to POST. R4E always booted after a BSOD.

Probably there are a few more I could mention here but not really important, haven't tried AIDA64 yet but looking at buying if need be.

I have also acquired a PSU tester, a ThermalTake DR.Power 2 Digital tester, passed all the way.

A few more notes to wrap up: DX79SR doesn't always POST in XMP, usually I can put it in XMP and it will run for a bit, might even restart from BSOD okay but it will fail to post eventually saying VR is hot. On R4E it never failed a post, but it sometimes locked up on the Windows loading screen or immediately after logon. Sometimes the DX79SR would get to the logon screen a s well, just to enter the OS and not one process started (hung on a black screen). Again I mention I never tried 1600Mhz mode on R4E cos I wasn't sure of the exact issue.
    Some notes on voltages - Really only played with this in XMP on DX79SR, I note that in Intel desktop utilities the Channel A/B voltage is always 1.66-1.68 but C/D is always 1.65-1.66, no idea why this is. It seems putting vCore voltage up helps a lot, but I am at 1.45v already just at stock clock, really don't wanna go higher. VTT set to 12-1.25 as standard, R4E ran at this by default. Again I stress the highest OC I have attempted in XMP is 4.2Ghz for about an hour until BSOD, went back to stock. On DX79SR I changed the vDroop to high performance in order to keep the stability in the vCore which is pretty much essential to just boot the machine. Machine set to only report the C3/S3 state to OS, HT on, tried HT off as well.

FYI I have tested all the connectors in my Chassis for consistency with the PSU and check for any earth leaks etc etc etc.

I have had the machine for about a year now, I was away from the country and PC for a good few months (August 12 til Dec 12) however I had somebody start the machine up every couple of days just to keep it in check (good fashion thing to do). Changed to DX79SR in December. Still have R4E here, not looking forward to paying the RMA postage (Only real issue is the PCI slot not running at x16 in order of config). I have posted various time on the RoG forums, have an unanswered post on the Intel community (if need a link please ask) and also studied the whole thing in every forum I could find, I reckon I could apply for a job as a custom builder these days lol, except for myself :P. And that leaves me here... I am hoping that the expertise of G.Skill folks might save me . I fear the worst though.

So I guess it wasn't a brief description, sorry for the headache. Just wanted to cover everything.

Last notes: I made an RMA request to G.Skill with a very long post detailing the problems, never received a number or reply . I hate to think it's this kit though, seems though it passes Memtest86+ in flying colors on both boards. As I speak I am running on the DX79SR in 2400Mhz XMP, ran 12 hours (8 of that I was asleep) since BSOD last, upped vCore to 1.45 again, just ran a 15 min Intel XTU Memory stress test - temps getting ridiculous and attempting to use any programs resulted in them crashing rather than loading up forever cos of the extra usage. As I speak the system is a bit shaky, gonna restart in 1600Mhz in hope of some expert advice. For a kit I paid 600 dollars for can't say I am too happy but I will not buy any other brand than GSkill .

If you need anything else or my RAM serials just let me know. Again sory for the headache, but please consider the headache I have. This is the last forum I post in before I completely abandon this rig.

Can you posst your BIOS setting, particularly the system voltages and the DRAM advanced timings timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will take photos of all the BIOS settings, and as I say they are all standard settings except I have had to bump up vCore to 1.45v just to POST, as well as low vDroop in order to keep the vCore stable.

Over the last 24 hours I have also found that putting the turbo multiplier up by one point on all cores seems a bit more stable but Prime95 still reports rounding errors and temps are crazy under 10 mins of of testing with it . BSODed once so far, last 3 have been system service exceptions, related to vCore as far as I know so that why I kept upping it, now to insane levels at standard clock speeds.

All timings are in XMP 2400 standard, profile #1, 9-11-11-31-2T blah blah, but I will get pics of the rest for you.

Thanks again

Comment

Thinking starting at 2400, 10-11-11-31, 2T, DRAM 1.65, VCCSA 1.25, and think your MC (memory controller) voltage is VTT at 1.22 and an OC of 4.2 or higher

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I let it run in XMP until it crashed again. This time it locked up, no BSOD, manual restart led to system failing to boot. Had to enter recovery mode to load 1600mhz setting. Computer boots fine.

Pics show settings before and after the crash. From memory the XMP settings were exactly the same as the R4E's settings. I have only ever stuck to the guide on the G.Skill product page.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...psa5f5cd24.jpg
          http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8be83612.jpg
          http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...ps744c0fd2.jpg
          http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c8389da.jpg
          http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...psf8394882.jpg
          http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8e9759d5.jpg

Comment

Let's take tRFC 208, tRRD 8, tFAW 29

Tman

Comment

Is that along with the previous changes you recommended in you last post?

Comment

Yes. let us know

Tman

Comment

Okay so I tried a bunch of configurations based on your recommendations. I tried your RAM settings using both the 1600 profile and 2400 profile as a base (as in used the other settings that were different from each one along with yours) and most failed to boot, some did and had problems at the OS, and a couple seem okay.

I will outlay each of them for you to review, including RAM timings.

Attmept 1 - failed to boot
                  CPU set to 4.2Ghz (1-2 cores x42, 3-4 cores x40, 5-6 cores x39), 1.4 vCore (low vDroop option used for high performance), 1.225 VTT (can't be set manually, is set in increments, had to be 1.225 or 1.2125), 1.25 VCCSA, PLL override off, 1.65v RAM, Timings as follows (used 1600 profile as base):
                  tCL - 10
                  tRCD - 11
                  tRP - 11
                  tRAS - 31
                  tRRD - 7 (THIS HAS A MIXIMUN SETTING OF 7, CANNOT SET TO 8)
                  tWR - 12
                  tRTP - 6
                  tWTR - 6
                  tRFC - 208
                  tFAW - 29
                  tRC - 39
                  CMD - 2T
                  tCWL - AUto

Attempt #2 - failed to boot (only difference between attempt 1 is the I used other RAM timings from XMP profile, ones that 1600 profile didn't touch)
                  CPU set to 4.2Ghz (1-2 cores x42, 3-4 cores x40, 5-6 cores x39), 1.4 vCore (low vDroop option used for high performance), 1.225 VTT, 1.25 VCCSA, PLL override off, 1.65v RAM, Timings as follows (used 2400 profile as base):
                  tCL - 10
                  tRCD - 11
                  tRP - 11
                  tRAS - 31
                  tRRD - 7
                  tWR - 18
                  tRTP - 9
                  tWTR - 9
                  tRFC - 208
                  tFAW - 29
                  tRC - 42
                  CMD - 2T
                  tCWL - 7

Attempt 3&4 - failed to boot
                  Used exactly same setting as the above two except I put the processor up to 4.3ghz (1-2 cores x43, 3-4 cores x41, 5-6 cores x40).

Attempt 5&6 - booted, 5 locked up at Windows loading screen, 6 stated getting really shaky in OS.
                  Upped CPU to 4.5Ghz, set vCore to 1.425 (low vDroop option), all other the settings the same. Only difference between attempts is that in #5 I used the 1600 based settings (same as in attempt 1) and in #6 I used the XMP based settings (same as in attempt 2)

Attempt 7 - successful, temperatures sane, voltages okay
                  CPu set to 4.7Ghz (1-2 cores x47, 3-4 cores x45, 5-6 cores x44), 1.4550v vCore (MID-Vdroop option this time), 1.225 VTT, 1.25 VCCSA, 1.65v RAM, PLL override turned on - set to 2.0v, RAM timings exactly the same as attempt #2 (2400 profile based). I am typing this post on these settings now.

Notes on the successful settings:
                  SO I went in to Intel XTU and ran some tests:

CPU stress test passes, temps about 75-80c however CPU only sits at 3.4-3.6Ghz (no idea why). With the mid-vdroop option selected, the vCore during this test bounced anywhere from 1.367v to 1.41v, which is quite a large margin if you ask me. Seems stable though. Memry temps about 38c, VR temps about 65-70.
                  Memroy stress test passes, does exactly the same as mentioned in CPU test, except RAM temps go up to about 40, CPU 80-85c (again at 3.4-3.6Ghz), vCore still bouncing, VR temps about ~70c. The test is only about 2GB of load, went from 4.1GB of load to 6.0GB during the test.

Those tests were for 5 and 10 minutes. Temps stayed similar. I'm not sure why the stress test doesn't push the CPU up to 4.4Ghz+, seems to only sit at 3.5 on average. I should probably change the vDroop setting back to low, but I thought mid settings would be safer to test as I did set it up to 1.455 which I think is heavy. Seems to only want to use 1.38-1.4v on average, idling it will use 1.425, so it's a fair bit off what it says in the BIOS. Also, memory voltages, sits at about 1.668v for channel A/B and 1.65v for channel C/D, I wonder if this is detrimental in anyway as it is supposed to be 1.65v. And as noted above I cannot set tRRD to anything over 7 (you recommend 8) on this board at least. Also take note that I only turned on the PLL voltage override when I tried the 4.7Ghz setting, so maybe this needs to be on in the previous attempts as well?

If you need anything more please let me know. Tried to cover most of it in one post for you. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm going to drop GSkill Tech a note to take a look, I don't know of anyone with your mobo (I don't build on Intel and haven't been able to find anyone with the board)....The CPU is easily strong enough, so I'm guessing it's something with the mobo/BIOS, Intel isn't noted for it's ability to run fast sticks

Tman

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought about this processor, surely it would be strong enough... Intel support just tells me "You're running over spec, try running at spec, 1600 blah blah"....

On the other hand, I only bought this board so I could RMA my Rampage 4 Extreme. Ideally, I want to be running on that cos it can take my quad-7970 setup, this one only takes one of my cards. What if I were to switch back to the R4E? Only problem with it is the PCI slot 1 staying at x8 mode when it says it should be x16. Perhaps we could get better results with it?

Comment

I'd say a possibility - the response you got from Intel is about what I expected and why I didn't suggest contacting them - their CPUs are great - but they hold the line at what they say spec is, and their mobos are pretty much the same if the CPU tops at a 1600 limit they think that's the DRAM limit you should use - it offers them deniability if you OC the CPU which is required to run fast sticks - can give the R4 a try

Tman

Comment

Fair enough. How can I get the sticks to run at rated speeds, as in 9-11-11-31? I paid the extra for this RAM just to have the faster speeds, and it is noticeable in the app I'm running as far as FPS (when it's working for once)

Do I just stick to what I'm running now unless it crashes again?
                          Last edited by SMB92; 04-14-2013, 09:27 PM. Reason: Context error

Comment

Are you on the R4 now or still on the Intel mobo? If on the R4 I'd first try XMP under the latest BIOS, then if no joy, try up the voltages as we did w/ the Intel mobo along with an OC, maybe 4.4 or so to start

Tman

Comment

Give me til tomorrow to put the R4E and i'll give you the results. It is quite an operation to switch boards with the liquid cooling and only one OS, will try a default install of Windows if necessary. From memory, On BIOS 2205 for R4E, default XMP settings followed to the T from G.SKill product page, result in BSODs. Always get error 5A at startup, internal CPU error, however computer always boots/posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X