Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious Instability running XMP on RipjawsZ F3-19200CL9Q+3960X CPU+Intel DX79SR MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check and see how it sets the voltages, will want them about where you had them on the Intel mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you think I should try higher TDP settings, above 130W?

The last config crashed, this time I'm OCing on all cores, 4.2Ghz across the board. Set TDP higher, vCore lower, 1.32-1.38 is what it's running at now, seems to be sitting okay with Prime95, however it's sitting on the base clock of 3.3Ghz and it's up to 75-80c. TDP is up by about ~20%

Memory timings exactly as attempt #2 from previous post.

EDIT: Also, in a 15 minute stress test in Intel XTU, CPU sits at same temps as what it is in Prime95 despite the fact that XTU pushes the CPU to he limit at 4.2Ghz the whole test, whereas Prime95 just runs it with no turbo boost at 3.3Ghz for the whole test. Memory test in XTU reveals a slight increase in temps, but lasts so far, and during the test the CPU sits at the full rate of 4.2Ghz.
      Last edited by SMB92; 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Sorry I can't give any exact voltages, etc, from here it's sort of a matter of experimentation, I normally jot down or get screen shots of all settings before I do any testing and monitor temps through tests. Each CPU and mobo may vary anywhere from a little to a lot from one to another, on a few occasions I've built a number of identical systems and to get all of them stable at say 4.4 they have all (often) had varied ranges of voltage settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Fair enough. I just can't understand if my CPU wants more power, is using to much or just can't cope. I get the best performance and smoothness with all-cores going at a flat rate, but getting rounding errors in Prime95, some almost within minutes on some cores, others over 30 mins, no matter which voltage config I try. I'm going to keep gradually pushing up the wattage of the CPU, I'm thinking of setting it to the same as the 3970x, 150W.

One thing is for sure, 10-11-11-31-2N is more stable than 9-11-11-31-2N. Funny thing though, rounding errors were further apart and fewer amongst cores, when set to 9-11-11-31-1T

Anyhow cheers for this, I will let you know when I get the R4E back in.

Comment

If things were better at 1T, that might indicate the voltage is slightly high for running at 2T, which should require slightly less voltage - too much on a given setup can cause imbalance same as too little , as I mentioned before it becomes experimentation...I generally try to find a nice rate that's stable and run at that, then gradually try and up the overall system when I have time to play - if I can't get it stable at a higher speed in the time I have - it;s pull out the notes and drop back to where I was

Tman

Comment

Would you recommend that the CPU stay at speeds over 4.2Ghz 24/7 with the RAM at 2400? It seems to my the only time it crashes is if you take load off it, as in close a highly memory consuming application. Runs fine for hours most of the time (with a sane setting) but as soon as you exit the app/game it has problems. Temperatures are still a problem though, cooling is more than sufficient.

I'm back at 1600 mode, default or SPD setting. Processor running at 4.3-4.4Ghz flat out, tests fine, however about an hour in Prime95 with 8092MB of load tested, VR temps hit about 75-80 and CPU is throttling at 89c. TDP Max of 165W, Burst 175, that's a ~20% increase or so, but much faster with no errors.

Comment

Made a good bit of difference with the air-con turned on in the room. Temps about 65-70 at full load on current OC, RAM still 1600. I need my PC atm, so I will send the R4E away for warranty and when it comes back I'll put a fresh OS on an SSD to test it.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, sorry haven't been around much the last few day, been busier than I want to

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X