• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot achieve 1600 or 1866

Here is the list of components I am working with:
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
    AMD Phenom II X4 965
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X (Model# F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL)

Originally bought this particular RAM as I wanted to achieve 1866 speeds. Came to find out on GIGABYTE's website that this particular board will not reach 2000/1866 without having an AM3+ processor. Figured I would just take the loss and at least run these chips in 1600. For some reason after setting the memory in 1600, programs in windows detect that I am still running 667mhz RAM speed. The programs I used to test this are CPU-Z and EasyTune6 (the program that comes with GIGABYTE boards). If I attempt to increase the CPU Frequency from 200->233 it crashes. Using either E.O.C.P. or manual I can set it to 1600 with no crash, but it reads 1333 in Windows. I'm not sure if this is because I didn't manually set voltages or what. Not sure what to set the voltages at besides the RAM as I have not had to do this before. Here are some pictures I took as reference. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have the latest BIOS? Is your 965 a Rev C? If you have a C ver and the latest BIOS, this thread may help:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

also might be you have a weak 965 and the MC (memory controller) can't carry 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for your help. I followed the link and went with the settings under method 2 as I have the black edition. I'm not sure of the revision as the CPU box does not state it, so I will take my tower apart later to check. I'm assuming its written on the CPU itself and I am currently out of thermal paste, so I will have to pick some up before I clean off my CPU to check. With those settings (for 1600) my machine boots fine, but still the same issue in CPU-Z. Under the memory tab, my DRAM frequency is listed as running at 800MHz, but under each individual memory slot selection the max bandwidth is still listed as 667MHz. I'm guessing reaching these speeds is outside what the CPU is capable of. Newegg gave me the option to return my CPU with a 15% restocking fee applied, I would just hate to eat that money just to buy a slightly more expensive CPU to run my memory at 1600/1866.

Found my CPU part # if that helps determine the revision. #HDZ965FBGMBOX
      Last edited by GSP; 01-24-2013, 03:51 AM.

Comment

If the hardware ends up not being compatible, could you recommend any particular mobo/cpu combinations that run really well with this memory? I'd like to keep it around $200-$250 if possible.

Comment

Sorry for the spam replies here...
          Just read your sticky in general discussion about CPU-Z. Because the frequency shows 800MHz but the SPD Max Bandwidth shows 667, does that mean its actually currently running at 1600? Little confused about how that works.

Comment

With CPU-Z you look at the Memory tab to see what you are running - the Max Bandwidth is what the sticks will boot to in default, which is before you make any changes - that number is simply the default boot speed of the sticks, it's a setting, not what the sticks are actually running.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Your CPU, a "deneb" is going to have a very hard time getting 16GB of RAM to run at 1600MT/s due to memory controller limitation. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would be highly unlikely to work.

You could try using 1333 MT/s instead and try for lower timings to offset the frequency loss (let me know if you need some ideas for timings to try).

You could also bump up CPU-NB voltage and see if it helps.

Also, on AM3 chips if you raise CPU-NB (memory controller) frequency, you will get very good memory performance gains. Deneb can typically do around 2600-2800MHz on air (stock is only 2000MHz).

If you want to move to a new CPU, there are some nice options in varying price ranges for the FX CPUs that have better memory controllers, but 16GB might still be a bear to set up properly. I was able to do 4x4GB at 1800MT/s CL8 on an FX-4100 with some effort.
              AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

I originally almost went with the 4100 Zambezi as it was in a similar price range and had the AM3+ socket. Kicking myself for not doing it now. Think I will just ride it out on my current settings until I purchase a new CPU rather than try to force it into 1600. Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Let us know when you upgrade or if you have any luck kicking it up

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X