Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.gskill.us/forum/album.php...&pictureid=144

This what you're looking for?

I'm on air cooling, don't have liquid cooling. The computer runs at a good temperature overall, but because of the size of the 7850 parts of the computer can still get hot. I monitor via SpeedFan. It's under full load right now because it's doing the Prime95 test and Temp3 is @56C. Overall system temp is @32C though.

Last edited by General Mars; 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by General Mars View Post
      http://www.gskill.us/forum/album.php...&pictureid=144

This what you're looking for?

I'm on air cooling, don't have liquid cooling. The computer runs at a good temperature overall, but because of the size of the 7850 parts of the computer can still get hot. I monitor via SpeedFan. It's under full load right now because it's doing the Prime95 test and Temp3 is @56C. Overall system temp is @32C though.

Not quite all thr info I need, but i can see 9 9 9 24 33 2t and that already flags me as wrong timings (for amd).

Try these timings http://cdn.overclock.net/9/93/93e9d3f7_timings.png

I found my thread.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10021

This was all with a hyper 212+ air cooler.

Try those settings. They are agressive but safe (compared to my 5200 MHz settings)

Last edited by damric; 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM.
      AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Attempted at suggested values with no success. I've messed around with voltages at too high of a level and overheated the processor (nearly bricked it would be more accurate). Currently waiting so I can quick boot load up working and reset. System and I are currently angry with each other, it continually loves resetting CPU and memory clock to auto-1333 and 200.

Loaded fail-safe reset. CPU temp back down to normal level (39C), system temp (31C)

Analysis of BIOS settings:

Advanced BIOS settings: Normal -- Change

Load Line Control: Auto -- Regular
        AMD C1E Support: Auto -- Disabled
        AMD C6 Support: Enabled -- Disabled
        AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control: Auto -- Disabled
        AMD APM Master Mode: Auto -- Disabled

Power Management:

ACPI Suspend Type S3(STR) -- Is S1 better? More interested in S1 unless it leads to performance issues.
        Soft-Off by Power Button: Insta-Off
        USB Wakeup from S3: Enabled
        Modem Ring Resume: Disabled
        PME Event Wakeup: Enabled
        HPET Support: Enabled
        Power on by mouse: Disabled
        Power on by keyboard: Disabldd
        AC Back Function: Soft-Off
        Power on by alarm: Disabled
        ErP Support: Disabled

PC Health Status:

Hardware Thermal Control: Enabled
        CPU Warning Temp: Disabled -- 60C
        CPU Fail Warning: Disabled -- Enabled
        System Fan1 Warning: Disabled -- Enabled
        System Fan2 Warning: Disabled -- Enabled
        Power Fan Warning: Disabled -- Enabled
        CPU Smart Fan Control: Auto -- Disabled
        System Smart Fan Control: Auto -- Disabled

I tried using AMD Overdrive with the numbers you linked and the computer froze.

I then worked on trying to adjust within the BIOS (just changes, defaults already noted):
        CPU Clock Ratio: x20, 4500/5000; x18
        CPU NB Frequency: x11, 2475; x10; x12
        Core Performance Boost: Disabled
        CPB Ratio: Auto (greyed out)
        CPU Host Clock Control: Manual
        CPU Frequency: 225, 233, 250
        PCIe: 100
        HT Link Width: 16bit
        HT Link Frequency: x12;x10
        DRAM EOCP: not been helpful at all. Does not optimize voltage.
        Set Memory Clock: Manual
        Memory Clock: x6.66, x8, etc.
        DRAM Configuration: (AMD Overdrive is easier UI with more options)
        ***System Voltage (NOT) Optimized (!!!)***: Not optimized, no boot.
        System Voltage Control: Manual
        CPU PLL Voltage Control:
        DRAM Voltage Control:
        DDR VTT Voltage Control:
        NB Voltage Control:
        HT Link Voltage Control:
        NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control:
        CPU NB VID Control:
        CPU Voltage Control:
        Normal CPU Vcore: 1.3750

Tried at various values as to what was suggested in link matching as close to words as possible. Tried with all values one notch before red out of frustration (bad idea). Same with +CPU Voltage Control/+CPU NB VID Control

Thanks for help. I really need to get these voltages sorted out so I can at least boot. Anymore suggestions? Possible because of term differences I didn't apply correct value of increases to things as well.

Memtest looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by damric View Post
          Alrighty. Exactly what are your voltage settings for DRAM, CPU-NB, and chipset northbridge?

Place all timings in manual. List them here exactly as you have tried them.

We will get this to work, or set something on fire.
          I believe it's time to set something on fire.

However, I am also seeking help on overclock.net as well.

Comment

How did Memtest go? If the sticks tested OK then there's something in the mobo/BIOS or again, possible the MC in your CPU can't carry the sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

As I noted above, Memtest seemed to go fine.

I started threads at overclock.net to try and find more assistance, but have so far had no luck. I do think it's Gigabyte being a pain, not the G.Skill, but granted I can't prove that for sure if I can't get them going

These are my links to overclock.net and the ideas they have thrown around:
              http://www.overclock.net/t/1353897/r...eded-please/50
              http://www.overclock.net/t/1048912/o...ort-added/1500

Comment

I submitted a ticket to Gigabyte, but not expecting much.

Comment

Originally posted by General Mars View Post
                  As I noted above, Memtest seemed to go fine.

I started threads at overclock.net to try and find more assistance, but have so far had no luck. I do think it's Gigabyte being a pain, not the G.Skill, but granted I can't prove that for sure if I can't get them going

These are my links to overclock.net and the ideas they have thrown around:
                  http://www.overclock.net/t/1353897/r...eded-please/50
                  http://www.overclock.net/t/1048912/o...ort-added/1500
                  It's the CPU. I checked out your OCN thread. It's too bad that only newbies have replied so far. Your cpu just can't handle 8GB sticks at that frequency and timings. The vast majority of successful overclocks on the AM3+ platform have been with 2GB and 4GB sticks. You could try loosening timings but even that might not work.

Comment

That's about what I was pointing at in my first post

" that the 4100 just can't carry 1866 sticks (which many can't), might try with EOCP at 1600 or setting up manually for 1600"

these sticks are 'rated' UP TO 1866 AT ONE STICK PER CHANNEL, and sadly the testing was done w/ 4GB sticks, so while many of the 4100's can easily carry 1600,, the majority can't carry 1866 and some can't even carry 1600 w/ 8GB sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's the board. It won't run 1600 or 1866. It should at least run the 1600, which is what is most aggravating. I'm currently looking into some new parts. I appreciate the assistance of everyone here though.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1354275/o...rations-please
                      Last edited by General Mars; 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

From your list, I realize you say you are going AMD for the more bang for the buck, but might take a look at the Intel 3570K or the 2500K ($20-$30 more than the 8350) yet they both will put a beat down on the top of the line AMD FX-8350. And you can easily make up the difference via the mobo and cooler - you show at the low end an H80 for $85 when with a 3570K running at 4.7GHz my stays in the 30s at idle with a simple Hyper 212 EVO ($35) and their are a number of good 1155 mobos for less, I've used from the highest end down to the entry, but for my system went with the ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 ($125). As mentioned above it runs 24/7 at 4.7 and have paired it up with 32GB of Trident 2400 sticks and a pair of EVGA 660 TI FTW Signature GPUs in SLI

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          From your list, I realize you say you are going AMD for the more bang for the buck, but might take a look at the Intel 3570K or the 2500K ($20-$30 more than the 8350) yet they both will put a beat down on the top of the line AMD FX-8350. And you can easily make up the difference via the mobo and cooler - you show at the low end an H80 for $85 when with a 3570K running at 4.7GHz my stays in the 30s at idle with a simple Hyper 212 EVO ($35) and their are a number of good 1155 mobos for less, I've used from the highest end down to the entry, but for my system went with the ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 ($125). As mentioned above it runs 24/7 at 4.7 and have paired it up with 32GB of Trident 2400 sticks and a pair of EVGA 660 TI FTW Signature GPUs in SLI

Nice rig bro!

Comment

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz -- 7,138 -- $219.99
                            Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz --6,415 -- $229.98
                            AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core -- 9,230 -- $189.99
                            Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz -- 9,169 --$289.98
                            Intel Core i7 X 980 @ 3.33GHz -- 9,059 -- $1,244.00
                            Intel Core i7-2700K @ 3.50GHz -- 8,983 -- $294.00

THOR V2 -- $120 (MiR - $20)
                            FX-8350 -- $190
                            Thermaltake TPG-750M Toughpower Grand GOLD 750W -- $112 (MiR - $20)
                            H60 -- $65 (-20 MiR)
                            GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 -- $165 (-$20 MiR)

$652 (-$80 MiR, $572; -$10 add'l disc., $562). These 2 builds work to same amount. The FX-8350 outperforms in processing power, the ASRock Mobo outperforms for vid card as it is PCIe 3.0 instead of 2.0, so it is faster.

THOR V2 -- $120 (MiR - $20)
                            Thermaltake TPG-750M Toughpower Grand GOLD 750W -- $112 (MiR - $20)
                            ASRock Z77 Extreme4 -- $135 (-$10 MiR)
                            Intel Core i5-3570K @3.4GHz -- $220
                            Hyper 212 EVO - $35

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
                            Last edited by General Mars; 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM. Reason: Added link for benchmark reference

Comment

Keep in mind the benchmark results listed at Passmark are done at stock CPU speeds (and who runs a K model at stock)....my two primary rigs are the 3570K at 4.7 and a 2500K at 4.8....taking a 8350 (yes 8 core) and pushing it to almost 5GHz it was still outrun by the 2500K at 4.5GHz (4 cores) and the 3570 at 4.3 GHz (4 cores) and neither of those were wide open, that was also tested via benchmarks as well as what I consider real world use (where I open numerous programs and have them run the same identical factors while timed) - I found the AMD get progressively slower as more programs are opened (both overall and per core), additionally about the max you can go with the 8350 is 16GB or so at 1866 whereas the Intel CPUs both easily handle 32GB of 2133 (and the 3570 up to 32GB of 2400, so you get additional increases via A) lots more DRAM and B) higher freq DRAM

Tman

Comment

you make decisions difficult!

sooo basically I should get the Core i7 3770k @3.5GHz for $295-$305 because it works out to $100 difference (substitute H60 for Hyper 212 EVO).

Comment

Working...
                                X