Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P8Z77-I Deluxe and F3-1600C9D-16GXM... compatibility issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting take on the subject, but one that doesn't really make sense, I'll agree with the higher density sticks ( bigger DRAM) require higher higher latency (which is the nature of the beast through the history of DRAM early 128 MB sticks ran a CAS of say 2-3, DDR2 came out and started running to 1 and 2 GB sticks and CAS went up to 5-6, DDR3 comes out and entry CAS was 7-9 (and remember original specs for DDR3 only went up to 1600/4GB sticks ) and we are now into 8GB sticks running up to 2800/3000.

As far as lower latency, while true again the writer doesn't make a lot of sense, if you look at say the Egg, of the 32GB sets out there the highest freq avail at CL9 (CAS Latency) is 2133 and there are 4 sets available - 3 of them are GSKill (I've used all three on a few different mobos (am currently running the RJ X 2133/9/32GB on my P67/2500K 24/7 (also running Trident 2400/10/32GB on my Z77/3570 (and 2400/10 roughly equates to 2133/9 performance wise but has wider bandwidth))). Also, even though there's about 10 manufacturers that have 32GB sets, GSkill puts out close to 30% of them - so obviously they will also offer the widest range of latency availability to meet the needs of ALL users, not just for Intel
    CPUs. I say that because many AMD users want to run 32GB also, yet they basically have no CPUs that can run 32GB of 2133 at even CL10.....most of the newest FX-8350 CPUs max out at about 1600 with CL9 for 32GB.

I think the most interesting point of this quote (especially if it was written by someone at Asus) is they say 8GB sticks are 'rather new and the avail selection has not been tested extensively by ASUS for qualification.'

Couple of questions for them on that, first would be why haven't they? Asus has been advertising their mobos as able to run 32/64 GB set of DRAM going back to BEFORE the 8 GB sticks were even available - how can they advertise them if they don't know . The other thing is where they say they 'test' for qualification - I have a problem with that in that their idea of 'testing' is to plug in the sticks and see if they run at the mobo default (generally 1333 or 1600) so if you purchase a set of 1866/2133/2400, 2600 etc that on their QVL and have trouble running them - you'll find if you call Asus they'll tell you to go to DRAM manufacturer (in other words, they say they 'test' OK, but they aren't testing them at the DRAMs rated spec.

Might take a look at my info thread on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, thank you for your take on things... very interesting information there. It's sad to see that the QVL is really a tool for them to avoid any kind of responsibility in marketing, vs. actually helping users make a selection.

Just to update this thread for anyone curious... after the last failure, with the newewst BIOS, it was shut down, and then power disconnected for about 2 hours. Powering back on, it has passed 2 21-run sessions of LinX so far, and working on the 3rd.

It appears that making any change in the BIOS is what causes the instability. I'm assuming that if this is stable on vidmm-auto / 1.5v, if i go in and set that manually to 1.5v, it should fail... and after failing, if powered off, and back on... should pass. Will test and report back.

Comment

Will be looking for your updates

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X