No announcement yet.

Perplexing Memory..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a crash in my game so I dropped the CPU back to 3.7 and the dram to 1535. I am going to play around more tomorrow. I really expected ( silly of me ) for the upgrade in ram to give me a little more of a score from my 8GB Dominators.. However, that did not happen. Everything stayed the same.

I noticed in cpuz that the memory shows PC3-10700 should that not read 12800? Here is a reading:

I will keep playing around.. AMD Overdrive does not even show the core temps.. Hmmmmm..

Comment

In CPU-Z imagine you're looking at the SPD tab under Max Bandwidth, that actually shows the default initial boot up speed which is normally 1333 or 1600, depending on mobo and BIOS, two spaces under should show the Part number, which should indicate 12800, and then you can look at the memory tab which for 1600 should show you about 800 (since it's DDR - DOUBLE Data Rate - it 800x 2 = 1600) - there an info thread I posted on CPU-Z here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10565

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

That is primarily what has me buggered.. In my SPD no matter what it shows

Max Bandwidth - PC3-10700 (667 Mhz )
        Part Number - F3-1600C9-8GXM

the only thing that is kinda accurate is the memory tab showing:

776 Mhz
        3:10
        1T

I need a pro to come over here and OC this thing properly.. Learning is fun, but the figures make it hard to know what you have, what you should have, etc..

Comment

Ignore max bandwith - once the sticks are installed it's meaningless - as I mentioned it's the default boot speed for the sticks and is simply programmed into the SPD - without it - if say you had a 2133 set - you'd never be able to boot as the mobo itself will initially boot new (unrecognized sticks at either 1333 or 1600). I'd offer to stop by, haven't been to the east coast in a long time, lived south of where your at, down Virginia way back in the late 80s, but doubt if you want to pick up a plane ticket

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I decided to try prime 95 on my machine with some setting changes.. I am getting this on worker 6

[Fri Sep 14 01:35:16 2012]
            Iteration: 706/52725989, ERROR: FFT data has been zeroed!
            Possible hardware failure, consult the readme.txt file.
            Continuing from last save file.
            [Fri Sep 14 01:49:08 2012]
            Cannot initialize FFT code, errcode=1005
            Unable to allocate memory. One possible cause is the operating system's swap area is too small.
            [Fri Sep 14 01:59:25 2012]
            [Fri Sep 14 02:04:59 2012]
            Iteration: 707/52725989, ERROR: FFT data has been zeroed!

Can someone tell me what it means? I found nothing on google or at GIMPS

Comment

Might try raising vCore .03 or .04,

Tman

Comment

Hello there,

I have tried a few different settings but I am no guru when it comes to overclocking and knowing what voltages work with the cpu. If I set the memory to ddr 1600 then it sets my cpu back to 3.2 and I would have to manually OC it to get back to 3.9, which was done automatically. I found a compromise though. I was able to set the cpu through "cpu level up" to 3.9 and then choose 1552 on the memory..

I am sure it could be better ( since the cpu is water cooled ) and the machine is very stable. When I chose the 1600, the machine would crash. Probably a voltage thing like you stated above, but I am just not sure about the settings..

PS... I have the dominators that I replaced ( perfect condition ) when purchased that memory was 244.99. I am planning on selling it and was wondering what you think is a decent sale price?

http://www.photoexcess.com/ebay.photos/memory/

Thanks!

PS... I wish I could send you a ticket!
                Last edited by saxamo; 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Hard to tell, with the price drops of DRAM, the Egg has their 4x2GB Dominators at 1600 for $100, maybe try $75-80 and have a picture and stress the tight timings

Tman

Comment

Thanks for all your help. This forum is all I thought it would be and more. Thanks for the support and advice from all who took the time.

My last and final image I promise:

Comment

Only 3 screens ? just kidding, nice looking setup!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X