Can I Use This DDR-1600 memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Use This DDR-1600 memory?

I recently ordered and received F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL memory from Newegg. I ordered this because G.Skill memory configurator said it would work on my Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3motherboard.

My CPU is AMD Phenom II 945 - C3 stepping.

I want to just install this memory and have it run at DDR-1600. I don't want to change any BIOS settings other than the 9-9-9-24 2T settings. Actually I am running at those settings now with 4 x 2GB DDR-1333 G.Skill value memory. PC has been rock solid since day one with this value memory and benchmarks are pretty good.

Bottom line is I don't want to screw up my PC with this new memory and I don't want to overclock it if that is necessary to get it to run at DDR-1600. I will just return it Newegg if necesary.

Prob want to return it then....the 945 sort of tops out at 1333, the mobo can prob run 1866...but you need a CPU to match to run the DRAM at 1600 and up, I normally suggest at least a 965 Rev C with AMD CPUs to run 1600 and up....if you want to try it will take changes to the BIOS and there is a guide here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the honest reply. Appreciate that.

Do you know off hand if my existing value ram, F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT, which I have two sets of, will run stable at 1T setting? I know past Crucial memory I have used gave quite a boost in performance at 1T.

Comment

AMD only supports up to 1333 on the AM3 platform, but you can reach higher speeds unofficially with some tweaking.

You should be able to raise the memory divider to x8 (1600) so that you don't need to overclock.

Your 945 C3 is begging to run at 4GHZ though
        AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Probably, may have to kick up the DRAM and/or CPU/NB voltages a hair,, might just try by raising the DRAM first, say + .05 (1.55 or so), if no joy try with the CPU/NB + .03 or so...if DRAM voltage works, stick with that, CPU/NB increases heat more than DRAM (both ways, even together are safe, I just like to go minimal voltages and heat)...let me know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X