Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme6 + 2 x F2-14900CL9D-8GBXL Kits (4 sticks) settings

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice about ram timings for my new build.

I'm running
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    Memory: 2 x G.Skill F2-14900CL9D-8GBXL kits (4 sticks, 16GB total)
    CPU: Intel i7-3770k

The system is running BIOS version 1.90 and is not overclocked in any way.

The ram timings are as suggested, 9-10-9-28.

The system is stable when running only two sticks, but when I run with four sticks, I get memtest errors. I've tried incrementally upping the voltage but even with the DRAM Voltage set as high as 1.65 I'm seeing problems with memtest (granted, there are fewer problems at 1.65 than at 1.5).

I'm not sure what my next steps should be here. Is it just not possible to run the ram at the listed timing with four sticks?

Yes it's possible, but with two sets, XMP won't work and set the correct advanced timings, they have to be done manually, the biggest problem is probably the tRFC, may want to try it around 170, if no joy, can you post your timings (base and advanced) and system voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So I tried that suggestion last night - got 9 errors in 9 hours with memtest. Here's the settings I used:

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1866
      DRAM Voltage: 1.600V
      tCL: 9
      tRCD: 10
      tRP: 9
      tRAS: 28
      CR: 2N
      tWR: Auto (14)
      tRFC: 170
      tRRD: Auto (5)
      tWTR: Auto (8)
      tRTP: Auto (8)
      tFAW: Auto (24)
      tCWL: Auto (7)
      ODT WR (CHA, CHB): Auto
      ODT NOM (CHA, CHB): Auto
      MRC Fast Boot: Enabled

I can post CPU settings as well, but pretty much everything is just running with Auto settings at this point.

Any suggestions about further adjustments?

Comment

tWR 16 tRRD 7 tCWL 8 tFAW 25, and may want to raise CPUVTT to 1.1 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No luck with those settings either, still getting memtest errors.

(CPUVTT was slightly higher than 1.1, but was at the first step available higher than 1.1)

Comment

How do the sets work individually, i.e. can both sets work by themselves under XMP or manual, or does one work and not the other? Can test each stick individually with Memtest (4-5 passes) should tell if each stick is good or if there's a bad one. May just have two sets that dont want to play together, especially with this mobos BIOS

Tman

Comment

I've tested both pairs individually at 1866 9-10-9-28 1.5V (from the XMP profile) and they both pass memtest successfully (multiple passes).

I haven't tested each stick individually because both pairs passed, but I can test individually if you think it would help?

Comment

Might try 1.65 DRAM Voltage

Tman

Comment

Bumped the DRAM Voltage to 1.65, and the CPUVTT to slightly less then 0.5V lower, and still no luck.

Seems you might be right about having two sets that don't want to play nice together.

Comment

It happens, generally slight voltage adjustments will make the sets be nice to each others, but not always, theat was one thing sort of nice with DDR and DDR2, the tolerances weren't so tight and it was generally each to just mix most any sticks

Tman

Comment

Well, thanks for trying!

Do you think there would be any point in trying to return my two pair kits and going and picking up a F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL (4Gx4) kit instead? Is that likely to work, given the issues I've experienced?

Comment

I'd give it a try, with two sets it can be problematic, possible you just got 2 that wouldn't play together, which does happen on occasion

Tman

Comment

Working...
                        X