No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 : L2-8800CL5D-4GPI (x2) : Won't work with 8g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, some good news, I managed to get the PC up and running with the original 2 gig stick of a matched pair that worked. The 2nd matched stick keeps causing a 'reboot cycle' (which realy makes me nervous) and the other matched pair dont switch the monitor on...

I also made sure that the screws attaching the PSU to case were very firmly screwed in...

...seems like 3 sticks are faulty...

Comment

Dropped GSkill a note to take a look as soon as they can, when I mentioned loose screws/standoffs I was referring to the mobo itself. The standoffs are the pieces that screw into the case and then you set the mobo on the standoffs where the standoffs align with the holes in the motherboard and then the screws that go through the holes into the standoffs.

Found the comments by IntelGuy interesting and when taking a look, I noticed that all the DRAM above 800 in the QVL is shown as OC'ed to 1200. They show but 3 @ 1066, 1 @ 1100 and 1 at 1150, but with all three they show them listed as "Overclock to 1200", makes me wonder if the BIOS is limited to only running at 800 or 1200, this is the first time I've ever seen a listing saying 1066 needs to run at 1200. Am wondering why. I think IntelGuy may be on to something here. I'd contact GigaByte and ask for a full explanation of all these issues. Wouldn't particularly be happy that they had RMAed a used (let alone twice) mobo to me in the first place.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        Dropped GSkill a note to take a look as soon as they can, when I mentioned loose screws/standoffs I was referring to the mobo itself. The standoffs are the pieces that screw into the case and then you set the mobo on the standoffs where the standoffs align with the holes in the motherboard and then the screws that go through the holes into the standoffs.

Found the comments by IntelGuy interesting and when taking a look, I noticed that all the DRAM above 800 in the QVL is shown as OC'ed to 1200. They show but 3 @ 1066, 1 @ 1100 and 1 at 1150, but with all three they show them listed as "Overclock to 1200", makes me wonder if the BIOS is limited to only running at 800 or 1200, this is the first time I've ever seen a listing saying 1066 needs to run at 1200. Am wondering why. I think IntelGuy may be on to something here. I'd contact GigaByte and ask for a full explanation of all these issues. Wouldn't particularly be happy that they had RMAed a used (let alone twice) mobo to me in the first place.
        Thanks...

I actually make sure these standoffs are as tight as possible, and the same goes with screws. Im generally like that with things that I do, I tighten them quite firmly....

I find the whole bios overclock thing confusing. I havent found GB altogether too helpful, they just told me to have the MB replaced...

...and yes, I was not thrilled to have 2 used MB's RMA'd to me either. At least this last one they sent is new...

I tried each stick individually, and the first one of the pair works, the 2nd one always is always reboot cycle. The last 2, each, dont switch on the monitor....Only the first one works...
        Last edited by daniel777; 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Have you tried them at 1200? Since all the over 800 sticks they show in the QVL are listed as OCed to 1200 might try that or drop them a line asking them why everything is shown as needing to be OCed to 1200, why there are no 2GB sticks listed over 800, why there are do few sticks listed period over 800, especially when the mobo is advertised with 1200 as the standard

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
            Have you tried them at 1200? Since all the over 800 sticks they show in the QVL are listed as OCed to 1200 might try that or drop them a line asking them why everything is shown as needing to be OCed to 1200, why there are no 2GB sticks listed over 800, why there are do few sticks listed period over 800, especially when the mobo is advertised with 1200 as the standard
            OK...might try that....

Comment

I'm hoping GSkill will be in soon and might have some info, but haven't seen or heard from them for a while

Tman

Comment

I had a look at the bios..., the memory multipliers dont have a '1200' setting. A lot depends on overclocking the CPU....I dont want to damage anything by having it run out of spec...., so I need a clear directive by either G.Skill and/or GB with regards to what to do, as I dont want to be responsible.
                Last edited by daniel777; 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I dropped a note to GSkill to take a look soonest, they should be in Tues

Tman

Comment

You look this

Daniel777, check my post. I have 8 Gbytes F2-8800-4GBPI x2 working 1066 Mhz in a Intel Q9550 Gigabyte X38-DQ6 with beta bios F9J . You can check my values bios in pics. Sure with this value bios working.

You can put auto Ddr Volt first or modify to 1.90V later if no work.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=9794

Greetings.

Comment

Thanks..., the only problem is, that the other 3 sticks dont work when 'individually' placed in the slots one at a time...Ill try again...

Comment

Gskill was in briefly today, should be back longer Wed

Tman

Comment

If the modules do not work, send them in for RMA. First, we need good modules to get started. Then we can try some settings.

Note, overclocking is always at the discretion of the user. A manufacturer is never liable, which is why Intel states to use DDR2-800 max. So if you are not quite sure how to overclock, the best suggestion is not to. You can always use lower frequency with lower timings to achieve similar performance. This method would not stress the CPU as much.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            If the modules do not work, send them in for RMA. First, we need good modules to get started. Then we can try some settings.

Note, overclocking is always at the discretion of the user. A manufacturer is never liable, which is why Intel states to use DDR2-800 max. So if you are not quite sure how to overclock, the best suggestion is not to. You can always use lower frequency with lower timings to achieve similar performance. This method would not stress the CPU as much.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH
                            Thanks

How do I send the modules in for RMA---- ?

I know how to generally overclock, and on occasion in the past have only done so minimally, however these days speeds are pretty good, so the need does not appear to be there so much or at all, although I wouold not mind knowing more about it and trying it, to a point,---- assuming everything works well first 'at stock settings'----.
                            When it comes to specific settings for RAM voltages and other remotely known settings etc, that is another story. I do not know too much about it, and need more info. As far as I know, if GB states thier MB can take RAM that is DDR2-800 to 1200, then they are stating this to be acceptable for thier MB, and the same for stated RAM settings.

I use a Corsair water cooler, in a very well ventilated case (Antec 1200) , and the CPU is ~28-29 degrees rock solid usually (although the seperate cores are more singularly), and its summer here now, and when doing 99-100% CPU intensive video encoding, the max it has ever been is 35 degrees, so I guess the CPU might not be too stressed heatwise...
                            Last edited by daniel777; 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

For Down Under will want to contact their main offices in Taiwan at rma@gskill.com
                              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM.

Tman

Comment

RMA sent - now it works

Hi .... I got the replacement ram from Taiwan that I rma'd. They sent me a brand new upgraded version of the ram I previously had.

I can report good success. The full 8 gigs worked straight out of the box. No tweaking, no adjusting, just put it in, and it worked, so G.Skill came through good. The new design looks better too, pretty smooth.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                                X