Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI on GA-P35-S3 Mainboard

Hi Guys

I have pretty much read this forum from start to finish trying to ascertain the issue with this RAM

My Rig:
    GA-P35-S3 Mainboard
    4 x F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI (Total of 8GB's in 4 Slots - 4x2GB)
    Q6600 Intel Core 2 Quad (Stock Speeds and Stock Cooler)
    Windows Vista 64Bit with SP1

My Settings in Bios are shown below - some of this information came from here on how to set it - and the BIOS is fully patched up to current version

But Memtest86+ still shows some errors - this is after 12 hours running

So my question is how should I proceed - is it possible that some of the RAM is faulty?
    I am about to run the memtest86+ again with current settings and only 4GB of RAM (Slots 1 & 3) to see what results I get

Thanks
    Last edited by Merlin; 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM.

1st Try setting the Refresh to ACT Delay to 54, if no help, try 56.

If that doesn't work, you could try manually relaxing the timings (the 5-5-5-15 might be to tight for the P35) to 6-6-6-18, ensure RAM voltage at 2.1, Command Rate at 2T. Give that a try.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman - I'm about to reload the full 8GB's in and run the test with the settings you have suggested.

I've just run 4g (2x2GB in Slots 1 and 3) for 5 hours and the test results were excellent - no errors at all - so I'll replace the other 2 sticks and make the changes you suggested.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with running 2 dual channels - like G.Skill's tech often mentions here - maybe I need extra cooling on my northbridge - though when I checked it while taking out the other RAM it wasn't overly hot (Could comfortably touch it and leave my finger on it - more hot warm then anything)

Comment

if both pairs work fine separately, you could increase fsb voltage to 1.4v to improve 4 sticks stability
        but as we always state, not every two sets could run together without problem
        we only guarantee for 2 dimms in dual channel since we always test memories in pairs
        thanks

G.S

Comment

I think I have it finally sorted - I'll know after running memtest overnight - but at the moment it seems stable.

I've Found the most stable settings for my system to be 6-7-7-20 for the RAM timings
          +.3v on the DDR2 Overvolt setting
          and I was able to reduce the rest of the settings back to +.1V for G(Mch) and FSB.

So fingers Crossed for Memtest run tonight and then if it's all clear a Prime95 test tomorrow

Thanks All

Comment

Sounds good and shouldn't have anything to do with, as you say, running 2 dual channels. Boards that can run dual channel (on a norm) have 4 slots and 2 channels total. On most boards Channel A consists of slots 1,2 and Channel B is slots 3,4. With a single stick or two sticks located in either slots 1,2 or in slots 3,4 you are running in single channel as you are only occupying 1 of the two channels, even with 2 dual channel sticks, if they are in the slots for a single channel i.e. channel A, slots 1,2, they run at 64bit - in single channel. If you take the sticks and put them in slot 1, channel A and slot 3, channel B, then t=you activate DUAL-Channel mode and they run at 128bit.

A good article is at:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133/3

Also, I believe the generalize here to much, along with this supposed weak channel (how can one be weak when you HAVE TO USE BOTH to enable dual channel, they also like to blame problems on what they call weak memory controllers, which doesn't wash as a generalization, the memory controller in basically every chipset out there is plenty strong for most anything that is available.

THE REAL PROBLEM, is how well the mobo manufacturer integrates the chipset and thus memory controller into their mobo. ASUS is an excellent example - look at their P45 boards, their better boards (let's say more expensive LOL), will run most any combo of RAM you want to throw at it, yet the lower end boards have all kinds of problems with higher speed RAM, large amounts of RAM etc.

The best example I can provide is the 680 nVidia chipset, almost every time a question comes up they blame the memory controller or that it's only rated rated for 800 etc. And in most every case it's mobo not the chipset (i.e. controller). There's not that many people that use the chipset, but of those that do/did their higher end boards had no problems like are experienced here, you might have to do minor tweaking, but it's not bad. On the lower end boards they fine tune the combination as well, nor do they update the BIOS as often etc. I've mentioned numerous times, that it's quite common to run 1066 RAM on these boards and a full 8GB....with the good boards. The problem I see here is they see 680i, and just say NO, it won't work - they need to look at the mobo/RAM combo in question, and work from there, not just say ....hmmmm..680i...won't work.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

As a final review of this, I decided to accept that getting all 8GB's running stably @ 1066 just wasn't going to happen - so I have underclocked them back to 800 and they run flawlessly - so untill my new case arrives with better cooling and such I'm gonna leave it that way

Comment

Sorry I couldn't have provided more help to get it up to 1066, if I come up with anything new, I'll post it

Tman

Comment

The 1066Mhz actually runs stable on these blocks on 6-6-6-9. Just happen to bough 8GBs of it. Dunno about Gigabyte board too much although on this one, but I am running the DQ6 from them and all X38(and P45 Maximum II Formula) ASUS boards seems to run these stable at 2.0v on 1066Mhz 6-6-6-9 at performance level 8(enabled), modifiers full.

If you go to 6-5-5-x the stability comes around (needs a bit cosmetic tweaking on other latencies) Although should go through I even booted these on 6-4-4-X CL5 seemed absolutely no go.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
                  "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                  http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

try to set TRFC(Refresh to Act Delay) 60+, you may have better main timings
                    thanks

G.S

Comment

Honestly I think my problem is a combination of issues - tightly packed small ATX case with Medium to Bad Ventilation - a Q6600 (G0) running a fair bit hotter then I'd like (60-65C @ Idle - and getting up to 80ish C @ Full Load - had been told the thermal pad's they use are great don't use thermal compound blah blah blah ... ;-) ) and then a hotish Northbridge caused by the extra voltage applied (These boards don't get the fancy Heatpipes on 'em like the DS3 did just a good old Aluminium Heatsink)

So the plan is a Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler, Thermaltake M9D Case, some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound and a rebuild of the system from the ground up ;-)

Then see what I can do about the RAM

And thanks guys - I appreciate everyones input
                      Last edited by Merlin; 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

thanks for the update
                        we'll see your result after your new plan is complete

G.S

Comment

Nice case selection, make sure you have room for the Zalman, might be a bit snug to the RAM, but should fit. Have fun, let us know when you get it together.

See ya

Tman

Comment

If my measurements are right - it should be within about a centimeter of the ram heat spreaders - so hopefully the zalman will help cool them by sucking the air past them - at least thats the theory for today

Comment

Sounds good, that's the way I normally set them up too. Hope all goes well

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X