Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ & Asus P5Q-E

Hi erveryone,

I've got a problem with my kit. I cannot boot my PC at standard specs correctly (CL5-5-5-15 VRAM: 2.0~2.1V DRAM Frequ.: 500Mhz) DDR2-1000 doesn't work for me on my ASUS P5Q-E board. Windows freezes at loading screen and after a while of resetting it starts. Before that my board behaves a little strange. When I start my PC (first time of the day for e.g.) then I hear all my fans and that my hard disk is working, like a normal start of booting. But after that - no message on screen shown for this time - the PC is shutting down. So I hear the noise of a boot which wants to start and then..silencio. A second after that it boots again, this time like a normal boot with correct POST sound and informations until Windows should load and shows me its loading bar. This is the problem I explained at the beginning.

Well, the G.Skill kit isn't listed in the QVL of this board, but I saw some peoples PC specification and they run this kit like it should run on this board. Asus' QVL doesn't show any 1000Mhz RAM, nevertheless the big and small brothers of this kit are supported (1066Mhz and 800Mhz) so why should't work F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ?

System:
    Board: ASUS P5Q-E BIOS v. 1901
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (standard specs -> FSB: 333)
    Power Supply: BeQuiet 470Watt
    Graphic: Sapphire HD 4870 1GB toxic

I tested both RAMs on each bank in single and dual channel alone and together with Memtest+ v.2.11 and got errors. At solo testing sometimes I got no errors and that's very strange. So I rebooted and started the test again because I knew that there is something bad. Result were errors, errors, errors. Not even voltage increasing of NorthBridge til 1.45V changed the result

Now I have running both RAMs at 800Mhz with CL4-4-4-4-12 and VRAM of 2.0V. Seemes to be stable in Memtest and the diagnostic tool of the Vista DVD. That's not I want, I want 1000Mhz... I just want the values I've payed for! Otherwise I would have bought the cheaper DDR2-800 kit!

This is why I am posting here. I've spent a lot of hours for testing and my patient is over now something has to happen!

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks in andvance!
    Last edited by freakonaleash; 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM.

Which BIOS does your board have? 1703 corrected errors with some types of RAM, current BIOS is 2001
    dated 3/30/09.

Is your command rate at 2T? 1T can be hard with ASUS boards and non-QVL RAM.

If neither of the above help at stock settings (5-5-5-15, 2.1) you might try at 6-6-6-18, 2.1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

would you like to check with our guide?
      here it is: http://www.gskill.us/145.pdf

you could take reference to ASUS P5K, there is not much differnce with each other
      thanks

G.S

Comment

@Tradesman:

I already updated my BIOS to version 1901 like I wrote. The newer one shouldn't help the release note doesn't show anything about RAM issues - I could test it anyway.

Mhhh, where can I change my command rate, never read this command in my BIOS. CPU-Z shows me that this value is at 2T.

Ok, I can test settings like 6-6-6-18, 2.1V but I won't slow 'em down...but ok it could be an alternative.

@GSKILL:

Sorry, but I won't UNDERclock my CPU to use this RAMs correctly.
        Enable to run at DDR2 1000, CPU FSB must use 313 MHz
        The other shown settings in this file have already been tested without a positiv result.

I just got my PC started to check CPU-Z and this is my setting:

Why do it shows me a Max Bandwith of PC2-6400 (400MHz) but the Part Number seemes correct?
        What is here bad - bad ram?

Comment

I've seen that before also, showing the max as PC2-6400, also never gotten an explanation. I've wondered if it was meant to be 1066 RAM that wouldn't cut it at 1066 or possibly 800 that actually OCed real well when tested.....and/or.....if since 1000 isn't a JEDEC Standard speed, they put 800 in there to show it meets the standards for for 'at least' JEDEC 800 standards.

Command Rate should be in the BIOS near the other RAM timing settings, slightly apart from the main settings

Any luck at 6-6-6-18 2.1, the relaxed sometimes work....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by freakonaleash View Post
            @GSKILL:

Sorry, but I won't UNDERclock my CPU to use this RAMs correctly.

The other shown settings in this file have already been tested without a positiv result.

I just got my PC started to check CPU-Z and this is my setting:

Why do it shows me a Max Bandwith of PC2-6400 (400MHz) but the Part Number seemes correct?
            What is here bad - bad ram?
            we don't know where you quote this

Enable to run at DDR2 1000, CPU FSB must use 313 MHz
            but on intel platform, you could only run DDR2 1000 with FSB 250/333/400/500
            we are not afraid you would downgrade your cpu fsb to run at DDR2 1000, we just want to check if you overclock with ypur cpu fsb
            and your screenshots shows that you are actually running at 333/1000 with correct timing
            then, would you like to test with single stick to see if there is one stick defective?

and as for the max bandwidth,it is related to the MAX SPD value
            as JEDEC standard, the MAX value we could write is up to DDR2 800, PC 6400
            DDR2 1000 could only be written in EPP, not in standard SPD value
            that's why the MAX Bandwidth only shows PC 6400
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              [...]

Any luck at 6-6-6-18 2.1, the relaxed sometimes work....
              Tested and also got failures on Memtest

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
              we don't know where you quote this

but on intel platform, you could only run DDR2 1000 with FSB 250/333/400/500
              we are not afraid you would downgrade your cpu fsb to run at DDR2 1000, we just want to check if you overclock with ypur cpu fsb
              and your screenshots shows that you are actually running at 333/1000 with correct timing
              then, would you like to test with single stick to see if there is one stick defective?

and as for the max bandwidth,it is related to the MAX SPD value
              as JEDEC standard, the MAX value we could write is up to DDR2 800, PC 6400
              DDR2 1000 could only be written in EPP, not in standard SPD value
              that's why the MAX Bandwidth only shows PC 6400
              thanks

G.S

The quote is from your posted pdf file. You said I should take the settings from ASUS P5K (Deluxe) board and there is only one setting for FSB 266.

I already tested every stick on every slot on its own and also got errors.

It is bad but maybe I have to live with that crap and can only run it as DDR2 800.

Actually I run 'em as DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 1.9V(or 2.0V dunno excactly at the moment - not at home) no errors on Memtest and Vista Memory Diagnostic - tested yesterday.
              Last edited by freakonaleash; 04-03-2009, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Can always hope they do a BIOS upgrade that ... might also contact them and see if they can test their mobo w/ your RAM. Wouldn't be real optimistic but it's a possibility

Tman

Comment

Yeah, you're right I should contact and ask them.

...and thx for your help!

Comment

Possible???

May sound off the wall, but you might try (if you haven't already) an oddball speed, like 1022 or 1033. On occasion you run into RAM that has like a dead spot, running a small speed area (call it a speed bump, if you will), taht might squeak you in and get your 1000+.

I'd try it at it's stock settings and don't get real hopeful, but as I said...on occasion it works, and when it does, like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going........

If you try, let me know.

Tman

Comment

Tested and also got failures on Memtest

The quote is from your posted pdf file. You said I should take the settings from ASUS P5K (Deluxe) board and there is only one setting for FSB 266.

I already tested every stick on every slot on its own and also got errors.

It is bad but maybe I have to live with that crap and can only run it as DDR2 800.

Actually I run 'em as DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 1.9V(or 2.0V dunno excactly at the moment - not at home) no errors on Memtest and Vista Memory Diagnostic - tested yesterday.
                      it's odd to see they can't even run DDR2 1066 with single stick
                      did you have other memory which could reach DDR2 1066?
                      or maybe updating BIOS is also a good idea
                      thanks

G.S

Comment

Went through some note over the weekend - what is your tRFC? Is it about 54 or so?

Tman

Comment

@GSkill

No, I don't have any other DDR2 RAM which could I test.

BTW: This memory is a DDR2 1000 not a DDR2 1066
                          Booting it like a 1066er causes more failures

@Tradesman:

Mhhh, I should't be able to run my kit as 1022 or something else without changing my FSB frequency and the multiplicator. Therefore I won't test this.

My tRFC should be 52 like it was shown in BIOS. It is set to AUTO.

I've contacted ASUS today...just waiting for any response.

Comment

Might just give a try with the tRFC to 54, had a similar instance with this at 52 and we just kicked it up a hair, and Presto.....it also ran at 55,56 then went south at 57.

This isn't a setting I normally try over a forum, but.....maybe it will kick it.

Tman

Comment

@GSkill

No, I don't have any other DDR2 RAM which could I test.

BTW: This memory is a DDR2 1000 not a DDR2 1066
                              Booting it like a 1066er causes more failures

@Tradesman:

Mhhh, I should't be able to run my kit as 1022 or something else without changing my FSB frequency and the multiplicator. Therefore I won't test this.

My tRFC should be 52 like it was shown in BIOS. It is set to AUTO.

I've contacted ASUS today...just waiting for any response.
                              sorry for mis-reading it
                              but it's still odd even it's DDR2 1000
                              while waiting for ASUS' reply, you could try tradesman's recommendation to release tRFC to even 60
                              thnaks

G.S

Comment

Working...
                              X