F2-6400CL6Q-16GBMQ on P5Q Pro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working...maybe? hopefully?

i flashed the bios from 401, i think, to 602. when in went into the bios the ram settings were not reset to auto. i just left them how they were and started windows. after windows was up and running for maybe 5 minutes the screen just went black. i had to hold the power button to shut down. when i restarted i received message during post. something about overclock settings failed press f1 to enter setup press f2 to load defaults and continue. so i shut it down and cleared the cmos. when i powered back on i just left everything on auto. so far it appears to be working fine. i will post back in a couple days to let you guys know for sure if its fixed. or sooner if it's not. i thought i did have the newest bios but i guess not. but the 602 bios isn't really that new either. i think it said it was from 2009. anyway if it fixed my problem i'll be kicking myself in the *** for awhile. i lost so much sleep reading online trying to figure it out. flashing the bios probably would have allowed my old ram to run stable too. oh well. it's all water under the bridge. thanks again to everyone for the help

Comment

Responding to your previous previous post, you should flash the BIOS with what you think are the most stable settings (most of the time AUTO), then after the flash, load BIOS defaults and then input settings. Or at least double check to make sure memory settings match the memory..

It is an old board, so obviously no 2011 updates, but you always want the latest if you have issues since a problem like this was probably addressed already, you just weren't aware of it.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

maybe not

well i guess i was wrong about the bios flash fixing everything. must have just been a fluke that it ran fine until i went to bed the other morning. it blue screened sometime while i was sleeping. so this morning i went back into the bios and set the timings to 6-6-6-18, the dram voltage to 1.8, the nb voltage to 1.36, and the cpu voltage to 1.3. got a blue screen in less than 5 minutes. funny thing, when i changed the dram timing control to manual the settings were on 5-5-5-15 even though it said right above it "1st info 6-6-6-18-3-65-6-3". when it was on auto would it have been running on 5-5-5-15? anyway i went back into the bios again and put everything on auto except nb voltage set to 1.4 and cpu voltage set to 1.3. it's been running for 2 1/2 hours now without any problems. of course it ran fine until i went to bed the other day. so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. also i found a modified bios on some forum. i downloaded it but did not flash. would there be any benefit to using it?

gem i found a page in the bios advanced/chipset/norhtbridge configuration/memory remap feature. it has options for pci mmio allocation: 4GB to 3328MB, memory hole, and initiate graphic adapter. all are on their default settings. i don't know what they need to be to enable the board to use 16GB. i assume the board is enabled to use 16GB of ram, only because in windows if i right click computer and select properties it shows i have 16GB. am i wrong about that? also i went to the asus site and downloaded Intel_Chipset_V9111019_XPVistaWin7. i unrared it, stuck it on a flash drive, plugged it into my problem pc, and double clicked the setup.exe. it said i didn't have compatible something or other? so i don't know what to do about that. is there a way to tell which chipset driver i have?

tradesman i am fairly certain that the gpu driver is ok. when i first built this pc i kept having the screen flicker thing and amd driver quit responding but recovered error. what i came across while trying to figure it out was that a lot of people, with this board, quit having the problem after they switched their ram. blaming it on ram that wasn't on the qvl. then i came across the settings for my corsair ram from the third post. after using those settings(the ones i had anyway) the error quit happening. i will check for a newer version though just to be sure. just out of curiosity what would the cpu voltage have to do with the ram?

Comment

Yes, on AUTO it is trying 5-5-5-15, so make sure they are manually set to 6-6-6-18.

If you have memory hole remapping, make sure that is enabled to properly address all 16GB.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

A number of mobo sometimes tend to undervolt the CPU when on auto and are set up w/ defaults to be looking at 4GB or so, with more DRAM it can often help to add voltage to the CPU to drive larger amounts of DRAM and was also thinking of your other problems, thinking the CPU may not have enough power to keep up with the DRAM and graphics

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so far so good

well it's been running over 12 hours without any errors. everything on auto except nb voltage set to 1.4 and cpu voltage set to 1.3. will post back when i get home from work. hopefully it's permanent this time. i have a 128 gig ssd i want to put in but i want to have everything that's already in running stable before i add any new hardware. i see some people just stop responding to their own threads and it makes me wonder if they ever fixed their problem. to me it seems a little rude to get a bunch of help from people and not post your results. so i will let you guys know for sure if it's working. thanks to everyone who helped.

Comment

Thanx, be looking for it - and you'll love the SSD, they're great

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

almost

well it made it about 30 hours before an error. now it's been over 12 hours without another error. i'd really like to see it go at least a week without an error before i say that it's fixed. the only thing i'm doing with it right now is websurfing and playing solitaire, nothing that should be pushing anything too hard. should i try to up either the nb voltage or cpu voltage any more? how high can i safely go with those?

Comment

Could go up .01 at a time with either/or prob NB, what are you actually at now....DRAM, NB and CPU

Tman

Comment

nb voltage set to 1.4 and cpu voltage set to 1.3 dram voltage on auto.

Comment

NB maybe 1.45, CPU 1.325 should be more than enough, and up to +.1 on the DRAM, then when stable see if any can go down to help keep heat down

Tman

Comment

well i haven't had time to mess with this too much the last couple weeks. been working a ton of o.t. in case we strike in march. never did get this thing running right. every time i think i have it working it starts doing the same thing. it will run fine for 20 or 30 hours then it will have the display error three or four times in about 10 minutes. i thought i would try formatting and reinstalling windows but not installing the video card driver just to see if it would work. when i did that it just gave me some other error in the event viewer. i think something about a print spool? anyway it said it was caused by the system being unstable. then i tried to put the old ram back in, but now the settings i was using before don't work. i thought that was kind of funny. so now i'm kind of at a loss of what to do. maybe just sell this stuff on ebay. probably someone with more knowledge and experience would have more luck than me. or see if i can find a book that would explain what all these different settings do to get a better understanding of this stuff. then maybe i could figure it out. i read somewhere to try each stick of ram individually in each dimm and see if it will run stable. then after i test them all try adding them back one at a time. don't know when i'll have time to get around to it but i will post my results afterwards. if anyone knows of a good book that i don't have to know a whole lot prior to reading to understand please recommend. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X