F2-6400CL6Q-16GBMQ on P5Q Pro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL6Q-16GBMQ on P5Q Pro Turbo

hello i recently purchased the F2-6400CL6Q-16GBMQ kit for my asus p5q pro turbo mobo with an intel q9550 processor. previously i was using 2 kits of corsair twin2x4096-6400c5c g for a total of 8 GB of ram. when i first built this system it would freeze and or go to bsod constantly. then i read somewhere online that i needed to manually set the ram timings and voltages. for some reason the auto settings in the bios don't work. after finding a post with the proper settings i manually set them and everything was working perfectly. then i found this 16GB kit and thought i would upgrade just for fun. now after reading on forums until my eyeballs are about to bleed i still can't find the correct timing and voltage settings. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Timings should be at stock 6-6-6-18, Dram voltage at 1.8 (1.85), CR at 2. From there may have to adjust some voltages NB, CPU, MCH, etc if you could post where your voltages are it will help, also what's your tRFC at

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

bios settings

i found these settings on corsairs forums to get the 8 GB of corsair ram to run stable. i don't have all these options though, so i just set the options i had. i don't have the options for the dram clk skew, dram command rate, clock over-charging voltage, or memory remap. and i could't key in the tRFC. it could be set at 60 or 65. i don't remember which i used. when i installed this gskill ram i reset the bios settings to default to see if it work. when it didn't i set all the settings the same as these except 6 6 6 18 instead of 5 5 5 15 and the settings i don't have in my ai tweaker menu. also i set the tRFC to 60. then i just hoped for the best. i found the memory remap option in the chipset settings under advanced. it was already set to enable. if you need anymore info just let me know what you need. thanks again for the help.

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
      CPU Ratio Setting = 8.5
      FSB Frequency = 333
      PCI-E Frequency = 100
      FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
      DRAM Frequency = Manual
      DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
      DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
      DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
      DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual
      DRAM Frequency = DDR2-800
      DRAM Command Rate = 2N
      DRAM Timing Control = Manual
      CAS# Latency = 5
      RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
      RAS# PRE Time = 5
      RAS# ACT Time = 15
      Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 62
      All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
      DRAM Read Training = Auto
      Mem. OC Charger = Auto
      AI Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto
      CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
      FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
      DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
      NB Voltage = 1.40v
      SB Voltage = Auto
      PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
      CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
      PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
      Load Line Calibration = Auto
      CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
      NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Memory Remap - Enabled

Comment

i've looked everywhere in the bios and don't see a CR setting. am i blind or is it really not there?

Comment

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

Also NB Voltage and DRAM Voltage should not need to be so high..

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

no dram command rate

if you notice on my previous reply dram command rate is one of the options i didn't have. or maybe it's listed as something else somewhere else. the options in the ai tweaker section of my bios are as follows:

configure system performance settings
            ai overclock tuner [manual or auto]
            cpu ratio setting [key in manually]
            fsb frequency [key in manually] valid input between 200-800
            pcie frequency [key in manually] valid input between 100-180
            fsb strap to nb [auto, 200, 266, 333, or 400]
            dram frequency [auto, 667, 800, or 1066]
            dram timing control [manual or auto]
            1st information: 6-6-6-18-3-65-6-3
            cas# latency [3-11]
            dram ras# to cas# delay [3-18]
            dram ras# precharge [3-18]
            dram ras# activate to precha [3-34]
            ras# to ras# delay [auto, 1-15]
            row refresh cycle time [auto, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80,
            85, 105, 132]
            write recovery time [ auto, 1-15]
            2nd information: 8-3-6-4-6-4-7
            read to write delay(s/d) [auto, 1-15]
            write to read delay(s) [auto, 1-15]
            write to read delay(d) [auto, 1-15]
            read to read delay(d) [auto,1-15]
            read to read delay(s) [auto, 1-15]
            write to write delay(d) [auto, 1-15]
            3rd information: 15-5-1-7-7
            write to pre delay [auto, 1-31]
            read to pre delay [auto, 1-15]
            pre to pre delay [auto, 1-3]
            all pre to act delay [auto, 1,15]
            all pre to ref delay [auto, 1-15]
            dram static read control [auto, disable, enable]
            dram read training [auto, disable, enable]
            mem. oc charger [auto, disable, enable]
            ai clock twister [auto, lighter, light, moderate, strong, stronget,
            ai transaction booster [manual, auto]
            c/p: a1 a2 a3 a4 a5 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5
            lvl: 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11
            if you pick manual ai booster it adds the following options
            "common performance level [key in manually]
            pull in of cha ph1 [disable, enable]
            pull in of cha ph1 [disable, enable]
            pull in of cha ph3 [disable, enable]
            pull in of cha ph4 [disable, enable]
            pull in of cha ph5 [disable, enable]
            pull in of chb ph1 [disable, enable]
            pull in of chb ph2 [disable, enable]
            pull in of chb ph3 [disable, enable]
            pull in of chb ph4 [disable, enable]
            pull in of chb ph5 [disable, enable]"
            ************************please key in numbers directly***********************
            cpu voltage [auto, 0.85-2.1]
            cpu gtl reference [auto, 0.65x, 0.63x, 0.61x]
            cpu pll voltage [auto, 1.5-2.78]
            fsb termination voltage [auto, 1.2-1.9]
            dram voltage [auto, 1.8-3.08]
            nb voltage [auto, 1.1-1.9]
            sb voltage [auto, 1.1-1.4]
            pcie sata voltage [auto, 1.5-1.8]
            ************************************************** *******************
            load line calibration [auto, disabled, enabled]
            cpu spread spectrum [auto, disabled]
            pcie spread spectrum [auto, disabled]
            cpu clock skew [auto, normal, delay 100-1500]
            nb clock skew [auto, normal, delay 100-1500]
            cpu margin enhancement [optimized, compatible, performance mode]

i don't know what any of it means but if you can tell me what settings i need to set these to to make this ram run stable i would be eternally grateful.

Comment

Oh I thought post #3 was your settings.

As far as timings, they should be fine, I would suggest tweaking voltages first..

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

where to start?

post #3 were the settings i found somewhere online for the ram i was previously using. a 4 x 2 gig set. i found the settings here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...=p5q+pro+turbo. but like i said i didn't have all the options so i just set the ones i had. after that it ran fine. then i saw this 16 gig set of ram on newegg and thought i would max out the ram in my mobo even though i'll probably never need it. i have no idea what i'm doing, but i can read and follow directions if anyone on here knows what i need to do. i really don't want to spend weeks or possibly months reading trying to figure out what i'm doing; when everyone on here apparently knows where to start to troubleshoot my problem. you know what i mean? basically if you or anyone else reading this could tell me where to start. what settings will affect the ram running stable. if i change one thing do i need to change another thing to balance it out. things like that would be very helpful. or better yet if anyone has this ram in this mobo what settings are they using? sorry if i sound like a total retard but this is only the second pc i've built and the first one just worked. i didn't really have to do anything. just slapped it together, plugged it in and bam. so thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and double thanks to anyone who can help me figure this out.

Comment

Have you cleared the CMOS on your motherboard?
                  Try clearing it and keep your RAM settings on auto except for the recommended voltage settings for your particular RAM kit.
                  If you are not overclocking you shouldn't have trouble, Gskill is very good RAM, take your time and don't get too anxious. Things will work out.

Oh and don't worry about command rate, it's set at 2 on your Asus board by default which is just fine.
                  Last edited by Gem; 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

thanks for the response gem. i cleared the cmos, even took the battery out for about 5 minutes. then went into the bios and set the ram to 800mhz, 6-6-6-18, and the dram voltage to 1.8. no dice. what it's doing is intermittently the screen will flicker for about 5 seconds then go blank for a second. then it will come back with an error about the amd driver not responding then successfully recovering. the corsair ram i was using did the same thing until i used the settings from my previous post. i don't know if that helps to know what setting or settings to change. any ideas on what i should try next?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? This memory should be able to plug and play...

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Inside BIOS do you have your board enabled to use 16 GB of RAM?
                        The setting should be on the same screen as memory hole re-map and a few other settings.
                        I'm at work an not at home to specify the screen.

Also, strange you get an AMD error or whatever while using Intel processor.
                        Unless I misunderstand you.

Is your chipset drivers installed?
                        as been stated before my post, check which BIOS version your board is using and perhaps flash to a new one.

( don't try this I'd you are really not familiar with flashing a BIOS)
                        look your board up on asus website and download latest bios file to a USB thumb drive.
                        Reboot and go to BIOS.
                        On the last page youshoukd find EZ flash program. Start it and follow on screen prompts.
                        Good luck.
                        Last edited by Gem; 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

May want to raise NB to 1.35 to 1.4 and CPU is on auto so maybe raise it +.05 or so initially then see what happens

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for all the responses. i woke up late and won't have time to try tonight. i work 3rds so i will try these ideas when i get home in the morning. i'll start with the bios update then the nb and cpu voltages.

gskill tech will i have to clear the cmos again after flashing the bios? and then leave everything on auto or manually set the ram timings and voltage?

gem the amd driver is the video driver. this board only supports xfire, not sli. i only have the one video card though for now. sorry i didn't specify before. also you said asus command rate was 2 by default. not that i need to change it now, but if i ever need to in the future, where is that setting located in the bios?

tradesman, you said to raise the cpu by .5. if its set on auto how do i know where to start?

Comment

It's probably 1.27 or less, if you click manual it should show where it is, if not go ahead and set it for 1.3 (listed spec for it goes up to 1.3625, same as a 9650 so it should be plently and can always be lowered once stable.

ON Gem's statement, may want to ensure your GPU driver is current or possibly even look at the latest beta if available, can find the latest at 3dguru.com - Command Rate may also be listed as DRAM Command Rate or Command Frequency or something similar and will almost always show up as 1T, 1N, 2T or 2N

Flashing the BIOS should rest to auto, but may want to go into BIOS and use it to save to the auto set

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X