No announcement yet.

1066mhz or just 800mhz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have the latest BIOS? If so, may have to stick w/ the timings slightly relaxed to run them at 1066. An option might be to lower the speed some and see if you can find a speed where you can tighten down the timings to CL4 which would increase performance enough to negate the loss from 1066 down to whatever, (maybe hit CL4 at 866-933, somewhere in that area.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No I don't think I have the latest bios, think its 3.8. Pretty sure there is one newer then I have now and I'll double check when windows memory diagnostics tool is done running.
      The tool included with win 7 setup disk. IIRC the latest update adds support for additional CPU but nothing I'd really need, anyway I look again.

I probably should have mentioned that in my previous post, when I increased the FSB from 200 to 266 I did reduce the cpu multiplier and FSB/DRAM ratio to approximate as near as possible the default cpu and ram speeds 2200/1066mhz. As to not overclock the snot out of it doing so!
      I was kinda surprised to see it wouldn't start, with the mhz numbers very near the same with the higher fSB setting?

Had to clear cmos, reset everything from scratch again. Tried it one more time just to be sure, just won't start like that. No boot no nothing.

Is there a FSB number under 266 but over the default of 200 that might work and you might suggest?

Comment

update

Ok I updated bios from 3.8 to 3.9 via the "MSI Forum HQ USB flashing tool" (very easy to do and about idiot proof).

I haven't tried your latest suggestion yet, testing from scratch with the newer bios version.

One other aspect maybe I should have mentioned before, I kinda thought you'd ask if it was important/mattered.
        I have the two memory sticks in slots 1 and 2 for dual channel. From what I read/understand that shouldn't be a problem, only when populating all four slots I'd need to run the memory reduced to 800mhz.

Comment

Depends on the mobo, some call for slots 1-2 as the prime, but actually work better in 3-4, others are just no go, have also run into a few where they are only suppose to support 1 stick of 1066 in each channel but have worked w/ 2 in each.....there's times (often) that AMD drives me up a wall

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ram change

I took the ram from this computer and put it in the computer in question here.

The ram is Kingston PC-5300 (2x 1GB), run in auto at its default 666mhz its latency benchmark is slower then the G skill memory at 1066mhz but not by a lot.

If I run the PC 5300 at 800mhz its only marginally slower, doubt enough to notice a difference.

Even at that the system benchmarks drastically slower then systems running same/similar speed ram but I can't figure out for the life of me why.

Other similar systems/memory latency benchmarks are <90NS, this dang thing is running 490>NS

And yea, this is my first AMD, and very likely to be my last. I had no idea this could prove to be such a pain in the backside to workout.

Guess a guy reads to much time to time, wasn't so bad I guess when I was blissfully unaware......
            Last edited by Danrb; 01-02-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

If up to experimenting a bit, might try the sticks at 800, 4-4-4-12, CR 2 and see what it does......if it looks good could then try w/ CR1.......and run benchmarks on it to see how it acts

Tman

Comment

Yea I'm game, I'll try it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X