1066mhz or just 800mhz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1066mhz or just 800mhz?

I bought F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, my computer and various utilities see it as 800mhz rather then 1066mhz.

I can run it at 1066mhz but have to change the bios setting to do so, "Auto" sets it as 800mhz. Have to set the timings to 5-5-6-15 to run in dual channel rather then 5-5-5-15 as stated on the box.

IIRC I used Crucial's memory scanner to choose the memory to buy? looks like that was probably a mistake? Being as it can't properly detect the motherboard model.

"F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK" Intel memory? What if any real difference will that make? Performance suffer because of it being made for intel systems?

Motherboard - MSI K9N SLI platinum 7374

CPU - Phenom 9500

user messages question

I made the mistake of allowing user messages, got nothing but spam and one other I'm not sure.
    Appeared to be from an administrator but also said "Guest". message claiming a virus was detected on my computer, will notify my ISP, cut me off bla bla bla with a embedded link to click on to correct the problem.

Was that a real message from an actual administrator here on the board or some kinda phishing attempt?

I didn't click on the link, my system is clean and always has been. However double checking, running a full scan at the moment just to be sure.

And I would think the user to user message system here would prevent/weed out the spammers? Clearly not the case, I blocked user messages completely.

Comment

Sounds like a Phish, what user name did they use?

As to your question on the DRAM, the mobo defaults to 800, but should run 1066 with no problem, just have to manually set it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

Sorry I don't know the user name used, didn't save the message probably should have I guess. Perhaps you or someone can retrieve the message from your end?

As for the ram, yea runs ok I guess and does run at 1066mhz when set manually to do so, the motherboard takes 1066 so I thought it see it as such.

Makes me wonder as it seams as slow or slower then older lesser speed memory, slower based on benchmark comparisons. Doesn't come close to performance of memory of same or similar speeds and memory controller type.

It does pass the stress test, well with the timings relaxed slightly as outlined above.

If I set that one "6" back to a "5" matching the package it fails the stress test in a few short minutes.

Comment

To get 5-5-5-15 you may need a bit more voltage to the NB. What CPU and FSB are you running?

Comment

RamJam,

I set the voltage to 2.10v as directed, box says 2.0to2.1v, set at 2.1 it fails the stress test with the timings 5-5-5-15.

I upped it to 2.15v and it was running the stress test with the timings set to 5-5-5-15, seemed fine at first, didn't right away drop a worker but ran for about 30 minutes or so and then blue screened set like that.

So I put it back to 2.1v and tried various timings until hit on the 5-5-5-6-15 arrangement. The bios allows for other settings but the kit, its box, doesn't tell me what to set them to so I leave them set to "Auto".

List as follows,

cas 5
            trcd 5
            trp 6
            tras 15
            trtp
            trc 42
            twr
            trrd
            twtr

I noticed the timings table in CPU-Z under EPP #1 @ 533mhz says tRC should be set to 48, the bios setting options for tRC ends at "42" so I set it to 42.

unganged mode it doesn't fail the stress test with the timings set to 5-5-5-15.

FSB is 200
            FSB/DRAM ratio 1:2.66

Cpu= Phenom X4 Agena HD9500WCJ4BGD 9500.

Something else you'd need to know please ask, I'll do the best I can to answer.

I bought the board cheap with the cpu on it, it included pc 4200 I bought the G skill ram for it. Working on a better cpu for it, just haven't done it yet, if I'm wasting my time with this "amd" setup please don't hesitate to say so.

I run 23 and 64 bit windows 7 professional, I usually run 64 bit but have a couple of programs I still need 32 bit for. Same results running either one.

Comment

To get 5-5-5-15 you may need a bit more voltage to the NB

Oh heck just realized you said "NB", let me reboot enter the bios see what it offers.

I really don't mess with the voltages to much, only if I know what to set it at, what any given limit might be.

Ok NB voltage starts out at "Auto" then 1.125, 1.150, 1.175, 1.200, 1.225, 1.250, 1.275, and then turns red at 1.300v and goes up to 1.475 from there. I do not know what the "Auto" setting equates to. The bios settings all turn red at a point when at/entering the "danger zone", in fact DRAM voltage is red at 2.10v.
              Last edited by Danrb; 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Try NB at 1.2 initially DRAM should be ok at 2.1 for the moment or can drop to 2.05, or so. See what happens w/ NB at 1.2 then if needed can go up or down (guessing up if needed)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok great I'll try that see what happens.

Thanks guys, Dan

Comment

Danrb

Let us know,

Jammer

Drop a line, may have something

Tman

Comment

update

So far looks like 1.250v might just be the magic number.

After the initial suggestion of increasing the NB voltage, I tried 1.125v but that didn't help.

After seeing the suggested 1.20 setting (In part why I came here, I wouldn't have jumped right to 1.2v) I tried that next but again no go. Next I dropped down one step below that setting to 1.175v and then back up over it to 1.225 but all of those settings would result in the first dropped worker within the first couple few minutes of the test.

Anyway so far so good, will return later after it runs the stress test a while, let you know how it makes out regardless of outcome.

Comment

Let us know

Tman

Comment

update

Spoke to soon I guess, it ran for some 57 minutes at 1.275v but then failed.

I've tried various Dram and NB voltage settings, DRAM from 2.0 to 2.10 and NB up to 1.30 volts bank interweave enabled and disabled however no combination helps.

Not sure how far to go with it, should I go over 1.30volts.

Comment

Raise FSB to 266, didn't see that earlier

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              Raise FSB to 266, didn't see that earlier
                              Wouldn't start after doing that?

Comment

Working...
                              X