Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rampage formula x48 + pc-9600 tridents 4GB

Hi Gskill and all the community,

Finally purchased these modules after a lot of research. I have trouble running these stable at default bios settings. Iv been running on a 24/7 stable OC for well over 3 years. I ran some stress tests just before i switched memory setup just to make sure .

3.2ghz 8X multiplier e6600 (temps 20C idle - load under 55C)
    FSB at 400(1600) rampage formula X48 (temps under 40C load)

Everything else is stock clocks and voltages. I dont plan on overclocking these modules am very happy with 1200mhz at 5-5-5-15. Ran memtest and no errors. Pretty solid product i have to say. Am sure its just a small sub timing tweak and a bit more voltage?

If you guys could help me out with some sub timings and some X48 memory settings like skews and what not. I'd greatly appreciate it. I am somewhat tech savy so feel free to get all technical

The memory modules are in the white slots incase anyone was wondering ( suppose to be optimal channels for 1200mhz )
    Last edited by padawan81; 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM.

What is the problem? If everything is running fine, no need to tweak it.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

stability issues

Thank you for your reply.

The memory is not stable at default(auto) clocks and voltages. Pc restart/freeze.

For example the performance level is set to 7 which ,after reading multiple forums, seems to be a little to high. Loosening it to 8 was said to bring higher stability. The tRFC was something around 56 when 68 which is the EPP for 1066mhz on the memory tables is more stable.

Of course these forums aren't necessarily right.

My apps crash constantly and also get pc restarts with every setting at default.

I really need some help please. Greatly appreciate your responses.

Thank you.

Comment

First, manually configure all the settings in BIOS.

DRAM Frequency DDR2-1200
        DRAM Timings tCL 5 - tRCD 5 - tRP 5 - tRAS 15 - Command Rate 2
        DRAM Voltage 1.90V

See how that goes. You may also need to raise NB Voltage slightly to stabilize the memory controller. Also, did you increase FSB Termination Voltage? You may need to if you have CPU FSB at 400.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

hello again

Thank you for replying. Clocks were manually set to 5-5-5-15 @1200mhz.

I bumped the voltage to 1.9 as you recommended. Seems a little more stable but i still got crashes.

Here are some of my voltages :

Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
          CPU Ratio Setting [8.0]
          FSB Strap to North Bridge [400MHz]
          FSB Frequency [400MHz]
          PCIE Frequency [100MHz]
          DRAM Frequency [1200MHz]
          DRAM Command Rate [2N]
          DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A/B [Auto]
          DRAM TimingControl [Auto]
          DRAM Static Read Control [Auto]
          Ai Clock Twister [Auto]
          Ai Transaction Booster [Auto]
          Common Performance Level [07] (On Auto)
          Pull-In of CH A/B all disabled
          CPU Voltage [1.48750V]
          CPU PLL Voltage [Auto] 1.58V*
          North Bridge Voltage [Auto] 1.61V*
          DRAM Voltage [1.90V]
          FSB Termination Voltage [Auto] 1.44V*
          South Bridge Voltage [Auto] 1.07V*
          SB 1.5V Voltage [Auto] 1.52V*
          Loadline Calibration [Auto]
          CPU GTL Voltage Reference [Auto]
          NB GTL Voltage Reference [Auto]
          DRAM Controller Voltage REF [Auto]
          DRAM Channel A/B Voltage REF [Auto]
          CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
          PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
          CPU Clock Skew [Auto]
          NB Clock Skew [Auto]

I have not touched sub timings since I have gotten the modules but I've read a lot of forums of which users recommend some sub timings. I'd like to go it over with you guys first.

From what i gather loosening it to 8 Performance Level ( Ai Transaction Booster ) should make these stable...however i guess id be loosing some performance. Maybe more voltage? Maybe its another MB setting?

If you need more info on my settings please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Comment

Think I'd drop your vCore, 1.48 seems rather high, which could cause stability problems. Also, you can try adjusting the tRFC to help stabilize the RAM, not sure of the default on your mobo, but might try 68, then up it 2 ticks at a time, to see if it helps.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

addition to above.

VTT (FSB Termination Voltage) should be max at 1.34v never over 1.4v will kill your CPU (although e6600 is 65nm core still it takes the VTT voltages little better at least I hope that's not the 'Wolfdale' e6600 45nm on those voltages). as what goes to above advice on 'North Bridge Voltage'.. It will be unstable anything higher than 1.520v (that's 1.47v at BIOS) and that CPU voltage seems just damn high wonder what CPU would require those those voltages on barely 400Mhz FSB.

As if those are really 'Auto' settings. I'd consider checking BIOS update as those readings are exactly what old BIOSes did with x38/x48 boards while new BIOSes actually lowers those voltages to at least near where they should be.
              Last edited by genetix; 05-31-2010, 07:57 PM.
              "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
              http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

I tried setting my Ai Transaction Booster (performance level) manually to 7 and i noticed that the auto settings was actually set to 5 instead of 7, which i find interesting since memset showed a Performance Level of 7. So i tried manually setting it to 7 and it seems to have found stability. However i haven't had time to memtest it or run some stress tests but so far things look pretty stable. Since performance level involves some internal motherboard timings , it could explain it. I will keep the tRFC timing in mind if I run into any problems. So far all memory settings are running as advertised except am running 1.9 volts which is fine.

Indeed 1.48V is high for the current cpu frequency, but not for this 65mm e6600. I haven't had the time to find the perfect voltage since i first got the cpu but it could definitely run at 3.2 on lower voltages. I should have specified that considering there is two e6600 models that were made, sorry about that. My temperatures on load never go over ~55C(well under safe temps). It's not unusual to see this processor require 1.55-1.58Vcore to push 3.6ghz ( with of course top of line heat sink or decent water cooling)

Thanks again

Hi genetix, thanks for pitching in, i appreciate it .

Don't worry, i would never dream of running a wolfdale at those voltages. This is indeed a 65mm first generation . North and south bridge all under 40C at load. Upon talking to asus and reading many post by X48 users and it seems my voltages are within the safe zone atm but i agree i could use some tweaking.

I doubt the bios update has changed any voltage settings, however the main reason i remain hesitant about the update is the latest version seems to cause some people problems. Could be just their lack of knowledge. I will read some more.

So far things are looking good. Running the pair of tridents at 1200 with a PL of 7. Also my FSB strap is at 266. Sorry for the mistake. I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your advice

Comment

Working...
                X