No announcement yet.

f2-6400cl5d-8gbpq pc's won't boot/post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In general, with AMD CPUs you need to do a little research on the CPU to be used, many have DRAM restrictions, i.e. some won't run 1066 and up, others may run 1066 and over but are limited to 1 stick per channel, others have base speed restrictions i.e. 1333 - so anything over requires an OC (sometimes a big one), etc. Even within the the same CPU, at times there are different versions within the same CPU model that have different abilities. So, to a large degree, it's more CPU based, since the MC is in the CPU, than it having to do with the mobo. The mobo, however does come into play also, many are advertised as capable of 1600-1800 DRAM and up to 16GB........but..that's maxed out with say an OCed 965...and since you shouldn't OC the CPU heavily until your thermal compound has had time to cure (maybe up to a week) you have to wait to see if it will work. If you try running 16GB with say a 720, it may not work at all, or you may find due to restrictions that w/ 1600 you can only have 1 stick per channel. In other words you really need to check all the specs of your proposed build to see the 'true' capabilities..........or have lots of time to play with the BIOS to try and get things to work.........which brings up the BIOS version, and the various capabilities that each version has.........etc, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Tradesman, I'm using an Intel Q6600. I'm OCing now and checking the results using Prime95. Prior to that I used Memtest86+ bootable. I am using Win7 64bit.

Essentially everything is the same with the exception of the DRAM Voltage. I have that at 1.88V. The timing has changed. For now it is 5,5,5,15. Other timings have changed, but not drastically. I will post those changes tomorrow. Once I achieve stability with Prime95, I will attempt more changes. The CPU is still OCed at 3.4GHz.

Comment

Working...
      X