No announcement yet.

EP45-UD3R + F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK + Q550 stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update. Now for those people that think we just blame the motherboard company because we just want to get rid of helping customers, can take this as an example. G.Skill doesn't play Gigabyte and other manufacturer games of pointing fingers and blaming other companies just to get customers to go away. We provide real support to troubleshoot your computer issue even if it's not a memory issue. We care about every single one of our customers. Once you purchase G.Skill, you'll never go back to anything else!

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Originally posted by SyCKLe View Post
    OK, here's a quick one.

I put back everything together on the motherboard, ran it at stock settings with only the latency and voltage amended to specifications, and at 1066. Tested one RAM on Slot 1, then both on Slot 1 and 3. Both made it past into Test 2 in Prime95 without a hitch.

I went through the same procedure with one in Slot 2, and then both in Slot 2 and 4. Again, both made it past into Test 2 in Prime95 without a hitch. WOW, really WOW! I still find it hard to believe I had a faulty motherboard!

Anyway, I am running Prime95 now with 4 dedicated workers, and I'll post the results later. Both RAMs are also now running in Slot 2 and 4 with latency and voltage set as recommended (5-5-5-15, and 2.1V), and at 1066. Other settings are stock at 2.83 Ghz.

Comment

If your going to run stock FSB, might start about 1.25 on vCore then up or down depending on stability. That'll take temp down a bit.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        If your going to run stock FSB, might start about 1.25 on vCore then up or down depending on stability. That'll take temp down a bit.
        Thanks for the tips guys. No way I am running stock (that was just for testing). I have overclocked it 20% (according to Everest) for now, so I am running it at 3.40Ghz (from 2.83Ghz), 2.66D, 400Mhz and 1066. It's stabilized so far, and it's nice not to get an irritating BSOD for a change! Will tinker around with the system for a bit.
        Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-16-2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

As you take it up, keep us posted,......inquiring minds and all that.....Glad to see the results so far, your 9550 is a horse still has plenty of power, will want to keep up the vCore and watch temps, on air will do about 3.8 no problem w/ good HS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What would then be reasonable temperature for 3.8 Ghz with a good heatsink? Also, I notice that if I do take up the CPU Host Frequency to 425 Mhz, the Memory Frequency would rise from 1066 to 1100+ unless I adjust the System Memory Multiplier down from 2.66D to 2.00D. Would the rise over 1066 be a problem?
            Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

You'll want to double check, but believe the max temp on yours is the same as the 9650, give or take a tenth, appr 71 degrees C, so I wouldn't really push it much past around 51 or so in day to day ops, a little less if your going 24/7.

You could stay at 1100 if it's stable, or stay and loosen the timings a tad to make it stable. Another option is drop the multiplier to 2.00, or you could even do to a slower base speed and tighten the timings which might give a bit of a performance boost.

A gamers secret is to take higher end RAM and run it at a lower speed w/ tighter timings (i.e. take 1200 6-6-6-18 and run it at 1066, 5-4-4-13 or 5-5-5-15 and will can often outperform the RAM running at 1200, in part it's 'stronger' RAM and also the mobo is geared more towards the lower speed.

Tman

Comment

Max for Q9550 is 71.4 degrees C to be exact. At 3.40Ghz, my temps are around 36C for System, and 34-35C for CPU at idle. At full load with Prime 95 running, there were around the early to mid 50s.

EasyTune6 under Memory says 400Mhz followed by 5-5-5-15, 266Mhz followed by 4-4-4-10, and 533Mhz at 5-5-5-15. I thought the timings had to run correspond with the Mhz for stability?

Anyway, I had OC'd the system some more a little upward to 3.61 Ghz with the following adjustments:

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)......... [ 425]

(G)MCH Frequency Latch............ [Auto]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [2.66D]
                Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 1133
                DRAM Voltage............. 1.800V... [2.100V]

Ran Prime95, and out of 4 workers, one suffered a heart attack within Test 2.

So what I did was bring down the System Memory Multiplier from 2.66D to 2.00D, which resulted in the Memory Frequency at 850. CPU Host Frequency is still 425, and Frequency Latch is still Auto. I had also adjusted the timings to 4-4-4-10, and as of this writing, all 4 workers are in prime condition... for now, so we'll see what happens past 10+ hours. I think I just may be able to raise it to run at 3.8Ghz like you suggested, but at timings of 4-4-4-10, we'll have to see.
                Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

If that bombs, you can try 4-5-4-10 and probably stabilize it, but you have the idea.....have you benched the RAM at different settings? Getting to the optimal settings can be time consuming, but can be worth it in the end....

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Tman

Comment

A good one alright. Prime95 passed 10+ hours with the following settings, so my rig is running at 3.61Ghz:

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)......... [ 425]
                    (G)MCH Frequency Latch............ [Auto]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [2.00D]
                    Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 850
                    DRAM Voltage............. 1.800V... [2.100V]

I am now taking the leap to 3.83Ghz with the following adjustments, keeping the latency at 4-4-4-10.

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)......... [ 450]
                    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)... [2.00D]
                    Memory Frequency (Mhz)... 1066... 900

A quick Prime95 passed Test 3. Will do a serious Prime95 overnight later and see how this holds. I have not benched the RAM at different settings yet (Sisoft Sandra?!). Still a newbie at overclocking, so learning and taking it a step at a time.

Comment

Latest update. The leap to 3.83Ghz has resulted in 2 out of 4 workers fainting within 1 hour and 20 minutes in Prime95 (I couldn't wait till overnight. :P).

I have re-adjusted the latency to 4-5-4-10, and we'll see how that runs. My CPU VCore Voltage is still 1.29375. That shouldn't be a problem right? In fact, EasyTune6 shows the voltages seem to be regulated, as in they display different figures from time to time. Sometimes the CPU voltage seem to go down to 1.23, sometimes 1.24, and then sometimes 1.20. Same with the RAM (DDR18V) voltage. Sometimes 2.048, sometimes higher.

Comment

Might raise the vCore a bit, and then in the BIOS there are some settings that bring the voltage down when the the system is at idle or not working to hard, those can be disabled, sppedstep and C1E would be the 2 to start with.

Tman

Comment

Here are the settings I have changed in BIOS:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)......... [Disabled]
                          C2/C2E State Support.............. [Disabled]
                          C4/C4E State Support.............. [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)... [Disabled]
                          CPU EIST Function................... [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology.......... [Enabled]

EIST is the closest to Speedstep?! There's no Speedstep anywhere last I looked. Anyway, when I boot up, I checked out EasyTune6's HW Monitor, and the CPU is reading at 1.264V, and DDR18V is at 2.064V, both constant. When I run Prime95, my CPU and DDR18V fluctuates up and down... especially the CPU Voltage which starts reading at 1.216V. I had upped the VCore to 1.31250v (from 1.29v earlier), but for whatever reason, CPU voltage seems to fall in love with 1.216V over and over and over again in Prime95... a LOT!

Anyway, I am running Prime95 again, and so let's see what happens. I'll post the results when it's done.
                          Last edited by SyCKLe; 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

You've disabled all that I would, if your getting massive fluctuations the PSU may be going south.

Tman

Comment

Running a Corsair 750W, which I think has more than enough juice to sustain the overclock?!

Anyway, I changed the latency back to 4-4-4-10 with the above disabled stuff, and Prime95's going into its 3rd hour with no workers dying on me... yet. There's still hope... there's still hope...

EasyTune6 shows Voltage around 1.216V - 1.232V for CPU, and 2.048V - 2.064V for DDR18V when running Prime95 at full load. Temperature for System has remained a constant 37C, and around 55C- 62C for CPU, again at full load. The highest I've seen at full load so far is 62C for CPU.

Comment

Sounding good, if need be can up the vCore a bit more, and with RAM if it starts showing problems could kick up the tRC a tick or two and if need be try the tRFC up a notch or three, think last I saw I had you at 68, could try 70-71.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                                X